ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/22/18 3:12 p.m.

So I'm writing this as I sit in my jeep while Express Oil change ...well.. changes my oil. This is the first time in probably 20 years that I've paid to have the oil changed. The filter is directly over the starter on the 318 and makes a huge mess, so I figured what the hell.

With 164k miles and a weekend of towing ahead, I asked about 10w40 high mileage. They didn't have it so I asked for 10w30 high mile conventional.

They wanted $64. For an oil change.

So asked about 10w30 standard conventional. $35.00

How on earth do they justify a $30 difference when the high mile is roughly the same oil cost?

Also, it will be a long time freaking time before I pay $35 again for an oil change.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
5/22/18 3:34 p.m.

Not the best place to comparison shop, but going to NAPA I found "regular" 10-30 on sale as low as $4.29/qt. with many brands closer to $5.29/qt.  The same oil as a high mileage rated oil?  Sorry, but it was not on sale and was priced at $7.29/qt.

I realize Express Lube gets oil in bulk, and gets it cheaply, but high mileage was about 40% more expensive than "regular" oil. 

I have the oil/filter/tires rotated/and an underhood check done at my mechanic's...and it is all done for $39.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/22/18 4:01 p.m.

Our basic oil change with conventional is 24.99 and our synthetic blend or high mileage oil change is 32.99. People complain about that gap so I'm not sure how anyone managed a 30 dollar gap and had happy customers. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
5/22/18 4:10 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

How on earth do they justify a $30 difference when the high mile is roughly the same oil cost?

Because it's priced like most things, by what the market will bear. A lot of people equate more money with better and a lot more money with a lot better and are probably paying it.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/22/18 4:39 p.m.

For the filter on those Jeeps, there's a trick to reduce the mess.  Find the right angle to get your arm in there without spilling oil down your arm.  Loosen the filter, but don't take it off.  Oil will run along the filter and most will fall right into the drain pan instead of running across the starter, exhaust, etc.  Then pull the filter, tip it upright and pull it out.  Install the new one, wipe off the starter and you'll be good to go. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/22/18 5:00 p.m.

All good points, and I realize that the oil will cost more, but doubling the cost of the entire procedure? Wow.

Well....I know better now. Back to doing it myself.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
5/22/18 5:38 p.m.

I've heard too many horror stories about quick-lube joints to ever use them. Most of my cars have flat tappets, to boot, so nobody actually has the right oil for those anymore.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/22/18 7:52 p.m.

I wouldn't use "high mileage" oil.  It contains an agent that causes the seals to soften and swell.  That sounds like a fine idea but the crank will eventually wear the seal so you can't really go back to "regular" oil, which can cause the seal to shrink back to its original size.  Only now you've worn it out even worse.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
twH1Pb4PGiaqfhyDwxbBGaHcwt3BNPyJu1ORqtyv0gWqchHFHk1MqRAkrHq5nwp7