1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 40
MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
10/11/14 10:43 a.m.

There was surprise in Sochi today as Russia announced that President Vladimir Putin is to enter and win tomorrow's Grand Prix.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
10/11/14 11:08 p.m.

How many cars are out at turn 2 of the race tomorrow?

I say 2-3.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
10/12/14 12:55 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: How many cars are out at turn 2 of the race tomorrow? I say 2-3.

I'd say Maldonado would be involved but he is starting dead last so I hope everyone else is safe.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
10/12/14 7:52 a.m.

Just to emphasize how easy the track was on tires... Did anybody else notice the total lack of clagg on the track?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/12/14 8:08 a.m.

it wasn't until the last 1/4 of the race before any clagg started to be seen .. and even then it wasn't much

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/12/14 8:29 a.m.

51 laps on a single tire? Geez- gentle surface.

I woke up to lap 35, and nothing really happened between there and 53. Gaps were quite consistent for the entire time. Not much of a race.

And seeing what I saw, I'm not a fan of the track at this point. It's like driving on a city track in a parking lot (other than the few olympic venues).

Mercedes wins the Constructors Championship.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/12/14 8:31 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: How many cars are out at turn 2 of the race tomorrow? I say 2-3.

The only real highlight of the race was Nico's "OH E36 M3" moment going into turn 2.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/12/14 8:38 a.m.

most of the races this yr have been snoozers as far as the front of the races is concerned … but there has usually been some great racing mid-pack … not this one ….a true sleep inducer

ncjay
ncjay Dork
10/12/14 10:09 a.m.

3 races left, and things could still happen, but it looks like Hamilton is on his way to another championship. I was hoping Rosberg would be able to put up a better fight, but it appears Hamilton has the upper hand in qualifying and the race the past few weeks. On to Texas and we'll see what happens there.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/12/14 1:46 p.m.

Forgot a big comment- great drive by Nico. Big mistake that puts you at the back of the pack with new tires on lap 2, and still finish 2nd. Heck of a job.

That's the third time a Mercedes did that this year. Pretty amazing car.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
10/12/14 3:15 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: And seeing what I saw, I'm not a fan of the track at this point. It's like driving on a city track in a parking lot (other than the few olympic venues).

I agree.

When I saw the 90 degree turns with very little runoff available at a couple of them my first thought was that's a bad accident waiting for the first pair of tangled wheels or the first exploded tire under braking. Hopefully the double layers of cushioned barrier will be enough.

kylini
kylini Reader
10/12/14 9:15 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: 51 laps on a single tire? Geez- gentle surface. I woke up to lap 35, and nothing really happened between there and 53. Gaps were quite consistent for the entire time. Not much of a race. And seeing what I saw, I'm not a fan of the track at this point. It's like driving on a city track in a parking lot (other than the few olympic venues). Mercedes wins the Constructors Championship.

At least the sweeper at turn 2 is beautiful. Lap one was beautiful seeing so many cars on it at once. After that, yeah. I watched the race on fast forward and didn't miss anything.

On the plus side, this race had less than ten seconds of yellow flag time. I bet the marshalls were on edge with the radio silence.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
10/12/14 10:07 p.m.

It was pretty bland aside from Rosberg locking up on the second turn and a couple good bits of dicing with Magnusson and a couple other guys. If they return next season with more aggressive tyres hopefully that will liven things up. It is incredible that Rosberg could go an entire race more or less on one set of tires though.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
10/12/14 10:11 p.m.

I really like the track and figure that with the super soft/soft tires they may have a more exciting race. Plus everyone now has data to crunch so next year they will show up ready to deal with the grip and layout of the track.

Not super exciting but it seemed that many drivers just didn't seize the day and decide to ignore their pit box and run the tires until they went. I think Bottas should have run a faster pace and I wonder if his tires would have failed him. IDK. It would have been worth finding out to beat a Mercedes.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/13/14 7:18 a.m.
kylini wrote:
alfadriver wrote: 51 laps on a single tire? Geez- gentle surface. I woke up to lap 35, and nothing really happened between there and 53. Gaps were quite consistent for the entire time. Not much of a race. And seeing what I saw, I'm not a fan of the track at this point. It's like driving on a city track in a parking lot (other than the few olympic venues). Mercedes wins the Constructors Championship.
At least the sweeper at turn 2 is beautiful. Lap one was beautiful seeing so many cars on it at once. After that, yeah. I watched the race on fast forward and didn't miss anything. On the plus side, this race had less than ten seconds of yellow flag time. I bet the marshalls were on edge with the radio silence.

Since I missed the start, I could not tell where the cars could dice, and where there are challenges. And since the whole track looks the same, I still can't tell one corner from another. I honestly have the same problem for Singapore, Valencia, and Bahrain- there may be some interesting corners, but it's really hard to tell. Those are the tracks where the driver's view is pretty pointless as a spectator.

That's my big issue with urban courses. At least at Monaco, there are enough structures that you know where you are.

The others- the race could be drive in a Las Vegas parking lot, and I would not be able to tell the difference. How can a design factor in a bridge (Valencia), some great buildings (all of them), and sea views- and yet appear so very bland?

But in the end, Bernie gets billions from Putin. And that's what seems to matter the most.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
10/13/14 9:57 a.m.
Lancer007 wrote: It was pretty bland aside from Rosberg locking up on the second turn and a couple good bits of dicing with Magnusson and a couple other guys. If they return next season with more aggressive tyres hopefully that will liven things up. It is incredible that Rosberg could go an entire race more or less on one set of tires though.

Pretty obvious that if Nico had the same scenio at ANY other race track the chances of a 2nd place woulda been close to 0.

I didn't mind the track that bad,bet theres some strained necks after 55 laps around turn 3.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
10/13/14 1:55 p.m.

real snoozer on Sunday, I think the title is slipping away from poor Nico.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
10/13/14 4:05 p.m.

Ha ha ha!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/14 5:00 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: real snoozer on Sunday, I think the title is slipping away from poor Nico.

All it takes is one DNF.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
10/13/14 5:54 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: real snoozer on Sunday, I think the title is slipping away from poor Nico.

What! Come on man that finish was so tense! Watching the three drivers all tense when it was time to spray the champagne. They realized that if they get Putin wet he might just snap their necks right there and cut their heads off for trophies with the knife he made at home from great white shark teeth from that same great white he strangled with his bear hands. Yes I didn't mispell it he used hands of a bear.

Really though Bottas almost looked scared.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
10/13/14 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:And a silly double points race.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
10/13/14 5:58 p.m.

Anyone going to be in Austin?

My wife thought we should go to the race a few months ago but then we had some unexpected expenses show up so no go.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/13/14 8:59 p.m.

The champagne deal did kinda look like Monaco when the Prince is still on the podium, didn't it? Hadn't occurred to me it might be a Putin thing.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
10/14/14 9:11 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
All it takes is one DNF.

True but that could go either way and a head to head battle Hamilton wins.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/14/14 10:29 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The champagne deal did kinda look like Monaco when the Prince is still on the podium, didn't it? Hadn't occurred to me it might be a Putin thing.

How would you feel about spraying champagne on the suit of a former East Berlin KGB section chief?

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 40

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
naA4kNwwdKGNm8gobn540gqsB5EpZev97ichCbulzI1O3HECoHZBPtWttyZprggI