1 2 3 ... 5
M030
M030 HalfDork
8/12/12 7:40 p.m.

I met someone at a VW show today who told me about how popular it is for people to swap Audi 4.2 V8s into early Boxsters. He says it's easier than an LS or Subaru swap and fits better, too.

I did a quick internet search and came up with nothing. Is this just one of those myths or has anybody actually heard of this swap? Maybe somebody with better interwebby skillz can find out more?

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/12 7:50 p.m.

I know of only two swaps, yes it bolts in, but the can bus is a huge problem

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/12 8:51 p.m.

that almost sounds like an insurmountable problem... I know Audi is related to Porche.. but it is really worth using that engine?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/12/12 8:57 p.m.

I have no Boxster experience, but I know a bunch of VW guys, and asked one of my buddies who works on Porsches about it.

My buddy Dave said: Yeah, it should bolt up surprisingly well, and would definitely be a better fit than an LS - but would you want to wire that up? VAG electronics are pretty complex and hard to diagnose for a trained mechanic, and a 4.2 is not exactly a 2.0 ABA. It may have been done, and it may "bolt up," but the real challenge starts there.
Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
8/12/12 8:59 p.m.

Sounds like the "how popular" is internet myth and sounds like a huge PITA

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/12 9:02 p.m.

That's the thing, I can make any engine work, but it will be a track toy that won't pass an OBD II inspection in Texas. Why bother? A boxster is good but it's not like a boxster is that earth shatteringly awesome.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
8/12/12 9:37 p.m.

What kind of a masochist would want to combine Boxter with Audi V8, and add can bus engine managment on top of it? I can think of a lot better ways to give myself a headache.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/12 9:51 p.m.

I haven't heard of this swap specifically, however...

after ripping the syncros out of my transmission, I did learn that the early Boxsters shared a transmission with the Passat. I never did anything with that information, so I'm not sure it is true, but it seems at least plausible. And if that is plausible, then it is possible an Audi V8 could probably mate up... maybe... but why? A well sorted 911 engine would do the same thing and be much better on the resale.

FYI... Double-clutching during a commute gets old after about the third stop light.

Ojala
8/12/12 10:04 p.m.

I have heard that Renegade, or one of the other shops, has an Audi V8 swapped Boxster but I havent seen a completed product. Both completed swaps I have seen had aftermarket digital dashes, aftermarket engine management, and were track toys.

Lord knows I want to be wrong but I dont know how to cheaply get around the Porsche/VAG can bus security, BECM, and engine controls. Maybe others have that expertise but I sure dont. And if its going to be expensive and difficult then why not put the money and effort into a project that really gives me a punch in the guts.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/12 6:02 a.m.

Is there something about the 4.2 and/or Can-bus that prevents megasquirt? I'm not thinking Boxter so much as GT-40.

M030
M030 Dork
8/13/12 6:29 a.m.

If I were to swap anything into my own Boxster, I'd prefer a 911 engine over anything else. But, 911 engines aren't exactly cheap...

The appeal of the Audi idea is that, being in the car business, I can get an entire donor car that runs, for less than the cost of a used Audi engine. Then, I could part the rest of the Audi out, sell the original Boxster engine and be in it for challenge money. But, if this is just "one of those stories", and it will take $5000+ in electrical engineering to make it work, then there's no reason to bother.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/13/12 10:43 a.m.

I couldn't imagine doing that swap when you can plug n play a Carrera 3.4 motor instead...

njansenv
njansenv Dork
8/13/12 11:03 a.m.

Isn't the 4.2 quite a bit more...um...robust than that generation of Porsche engines? I know I've heard enough stories about IMS and RMS failures to seriously temper my desire for a Boxster. A swap help to alleviate that fear. I've spent a bunch of time trying to learn more about the 4.2 swaps as well, but to no avail. Renegade is working on an LS1 kit, and now have a 996 LS1 swap kit available.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/12 11:09 a.m.

Anyone remember that build thread on Motorgeek.com for the Audi V8 powered Esprit?

That is why I would want an Audi V8 powered Boxster (though a Esprit would solve the potential emissions issues in many states)

Type Q
Type Q Dork
8/13/12 11:48 a.m.

I wonder how the 4.2 would work swapped into a 944? I guess Engine management is still going to be the headache.

Ojala
8/13/12 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Type Q:

MUCH easier and entirely reasonable swap in a 944. Once you decide whether you want the front or rear timing 4.2 v8. The 4.2 v8 is good...except for the timing chain tensioners which are a maintenance item and just so happen to be on the BACK of the motor for packaging reasons.

turboswede
8/13/12 1:29 p.m.

The only question I have is whether the 924 shares the bell housing pattern with the later Audi motors. I know it shares it with the I5 and the 2.7L TT.

The 944 bell housing is completely specific to the 944 motor.

I believe the 2.8-3.2L V6 and the 3.7-4.2 V8 use a different bell housing pattern. In fact, looking at some pictures they appear to have a starter mounted in the valley between the banks.

034motorsports.com may have some bell housing adapters though....

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
8/13/12 1:41 p.m.

Why anyone would chose the inferior, less reliable Audi V8 over the legendary LS series is beyond me. Maybe they'll come with a neat string of those Christmas lights Audi loves to drape everywhere?

turboswede
8/13/12 1:59 p.m.
forzav12 wrote: Why anyone would chose the inferior, less reliable Audi V8 over the legendary LS series is beyond me. Maybe they'll come with a neat string of those Christmas lights Audi loves to drape everywhere?

Because they can? Also instead of buying/building YALSS (Yet Another LS Swap) they want to be different and use parts that might bolt in and stay within the bloodlines (albeit loosely)

It is similar to using a 928 motor. There's no real reason to do so other than to say they did it.

Some people like Fast Food, others enjoy cooking their own food. In the end they both end up full.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
8/13/12 2:19 p.m.
forzav12 wrote: Why anyone would chose the inferior, less reliable Audi V8 over the legendary LS series is beyond me. Maybe they'll come with a neat string of those Christmas lights Audi loves to drape everywhere?

Because LS swaps are soooo played out.

My question/thought should have been worded, "If an Audi V8 bolts up easily to a Boxter transmission, would it also also bolt easily in a 944 or 924?" That's the direction my train of thought was going. If I had a 944 and I was contemplating an engine swap, it would be pretty cool to have an OEM V8 that bolts in. That piece of info about the 924 bell housing matching up to 2.7L TT is intriguing.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/12 2:48 p.m.

Here's info on how one mounted a 20-valve 7A motor in a 944:

http://944-20v.nl/

Here's an Audi engine block:

A 944 bellhousing:

A 924/931 Bellhousing:

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
8/13/12 2:49 p.m.
Type Q wrote: Because LS swaps are soooo played out.

That is the dumbest reason to not do something in the history of dumb reasons.

It's like not listening to Elvis because he's "played out." It's like not driving a Miata because it makes you gay. It's like not driving a P71 because it's an old person car. That reason is the antithesis of everything GRM.

I'm not interested in impressing people, I'm interested in a fun fast car.

"LS swaps are played out" = hellaflush. LS1 = hellafunctional.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/13/12 3:14 p.m.

all the guys saying LS swaps are played out....come back and post up when you're in the middle of that canbus nightmare.

turboswede
8/13/12 3:16 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
Type Q wrote: Because LS swaps are soooo played out.
That is the dumbest reason to not do something in the history of dumb reasons. It's like not listening to Elvis because he's "played out." It's like not driving a Miata because it makes you gay. It's like not driving a P71 because it's an old person car. That reason is the antithesis of everything GRM. I'm not interested in impressing people, I'm interested in a fun fast car. "LS swaps are played out" = hellaflush. LS1 = hellafunctional.

Um, are you arguing about this? Seriously? Dude, if you like LSJuan swaps, go for it. Thanks for sharing that you like LSJuan swaps, your opinion matters to us, greatly.

For those of us who are tired of seeing LS swaps in all sort of stuff, will continue to brainstorm ways to not do a LSJuan swap and have a fun car.

Oh and BTW, I don't like Elvis. At all. I rank it up there with most country music on my scale of things that annoy me. However, I don't think any less of a person if they do enjoy spangly jump suits and swiveling hips, not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

I also intensely dislike the hellsflush folks, but they are just following the trends of the day, just like the folks back in the day did. I just look at their cars as potential parts rigs/projects.

M030
M030 HalfDork
8/13/12 3:27 p.m.

The reason the Audi / Boxster swap interested me had nothing to do with being different. From the way it was described, it sounds like a cheaper/easier swap than

My logic is that, being in the car business, I can get an entire donor car that runs, for less than the cost of a used Audi engine. Then, I could part the rest of the Audi out, sell the original Boxster engine and be in it for challenge money.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pZXPyEiQg3SWsb0vPAyKmnvv4jGs96TMFAwJgT2ZWVCoNjZv9xICgQK9YUySrHzB