1 2 3 4 5
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/1/09 3:59 p.m.

i assume its going to be a contender with the K1 attack, which i think the kit is like $20 grand...

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/09 4:43 p.m.

Given the availability of emissions compliant engine packages, I'd love to see VW partner with FF to provide a drivetrain/electrical package. Sure, it would take the price out of many of our ranges, but how cool would it be to get a pallet from veedub alongside the FF one?

This project is significant in that it marks a move away from being the foremost kit car company - that specializes in American iron, to being one with a more international appeal.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/09 4:43 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
John Brown wrote: I would use a Jetta or Beetle dash as well as column but the A pillar/windshield will not work really well.
Not disagreeing... not at all... the problem with that picture is it really starts add up the parts-bin list... and how much are we willing to pay for this kit? I'm looking at all of that and seriously wondering how it could be brought in at the hoped for $10K price point... which itself is not an insubstantial figure.

Just like on the Cobra and other Kits, there will be a lot of parts from the donor car and a lot of parts from the kit supplier but you still end up with a bunch of parts that are needed.

Using a bucked body with pick up points for the front and rear suspension molded in, MKIV engine, transmission, front suspension, dash, wiring harness, door motors, door latch gear, seats, cooling components, rear window, HVAC, hydraulics etc. Add in some 4 lug MKIII hubs and brakes for the super sweet 4x100mm bolt pattern, Miata front suspension arms and brakes, Beetle headlamps and buckets... you see where I am going, Most of the parts would be MKIV.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
12/1/09 6:03 p.m.
Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
12/1/09 9:31 p.m.

Don't know if want. On one hand, it looks good and has torks. On the other hand, from personal experience with a Golf TDI, the engine is not how you say, inspiring. I'm sure in a much lighter car it will wow a little more, but I've just never gotten my head around the idea of a diesel sports car.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/1/09 9:36 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: Don't know if want. On one hand, it looks good and has torks. On the other hand, from personal experience with a Golf TDI, the engine is not how you say, inspiring. I'm sure in a much lighter car it will wow a little more, but I've just never gotten my head around the idea of a diesel sports car.

Audi at Le Mans ring a bell?

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
12/1/09 11:36 p.m.

Very cool, I'd rock one!

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
12/2/09 12:18 a.m.

That would be easy to sell to the wife....I'm in!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/2/09 7:59 a.m.

I know Audi/BMW/Merc make some diesels that people (atleast the press) rave about but my neighbor needed my truck for a few days... and left me his TDI Jetta. It was a terrible engine. Inspiring like an Iron Duke Chevette.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
12/2/09 8:21 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Just like on the Cobra and other Kits, there will be a lot of parts from the donor car and a lot of parts from the kit supplier but you still end up with a bunch of parts that are needed. Using a bucked body with pick up points for the front and rear suspension molded in, MKIV engine, transmission, front suspension, dash, wiring harness, door motors, door latch gear, seats, cooling components, rear window, HVAC, hydraulics etc. Add in some 4 lug MKIII hubs and brakes for the super sweet 4x100mm bolt pattern, Miata front suspension arms and brakes, Beetle headlamps and buckets... you see where I am going, Most of the parts would be MKIV.

Hmm... Yeah, I suppose some of that could work... I just fear it being easier said than done... and at a much higher cost than hoped for.

to GPS: part of the appeal of the ALH TDI is not in its base form... but as a base for modification... they can be quite easily tuned to put out a lot more power than the chassis can handle. Pretty cheaply, too. It also takes some time to drive one correctly so it feels decent. I know I have to un-learn this every time I get back into one of the MINI's after a few weeks of not driving them.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/2/09 8:37 a.m.

the most recent pics on Twitter look pretty good...

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
12/2/09 9:44 a.m.

Id like to see it use the MK5 engine rather than the Mk4. At least right now, totaled MK5 tdi jettas sell at salvage auctions for less than the going price for a mk4 tdi engine and wiring harness (someone i know is watching them and the cheapest was around $1200). Older TDis are outragesouly expensive (well mostly between $7500 and $15k for one 8-10 years old for a whole car, or $6k for an engine and tranny from a junkyard).

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/09 9:46 a.m.

Not to hijack the post, but are there other possible turbo-diesel donors out there?

nderwater
nderwater Reader
12/2/09 12:22 p.m.

Sure, but they're either heavy truck engines, much older or much more expensive.

John Brown
12/2/09 12:43 p.m.

I am thinking a diesel-electric hybrid would be pretty cool, VW is supposed to be doing one for 2012...

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/2/09 1:57 p.m.

his latest update:

"bought a 1.8t today to use as the base for the final subframe tooling. bought another clean tdi to use as the mule donor and will document the dis assembly of this clean car for the first edition of the build manual. The exact cut spots and lines...alll the pieces you keep..you get the idea.

mark

twitter.com/factoryfive"

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
12/2/09 3:25 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Older TDis are outragesouly expensive (well mostly between $7500 and $15k for one 8-10 years old for a whole car, or $6k for an engine and tranny from a junkyard).

Who's paying that??? If you know somebody, I've got a '03 wagon I'd sell in heartbeat for that kind of money. Damn... maybe I'll put it on ebay with some silly reserve and see what happens.... I like the car... but not that much...

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/2/09 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

this is a Mk3 TDI, look at the $$, wish i would have bought one...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1491434641.html

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
12/2/09 3:35 p.m.

he's asking for that... whether he gets it or not is another story... hell... it's just a crappy Mk III... that's just stupid.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/2/09 3:36 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Travis_K wrote: Older TDis are outragesouly expensive (well mostly between $7500 and $15k for one 8-10 years old for a whole car, or $6k for an engine and tranny from a junkyard).
Who's paying that??? If you know somebody, I've got a '03 wagon I'd sell in heartbeat for that kind of money. Damn... maybe I'll put it on ebay with some silly reserve and see what happens.... I like the car... but not that much...

They are advertised for that kind of money all the time in Northern California. I think its driven by the fact that cars hardly rust here, fuel is relatively expensive and diesels are perceived to run forever.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/2/09 3:42 p.m.
Ian F wrote: he's asking for that... whether he gets it or not is another story... hell... it's just a crappy Mk III... that's just stupid.

oh i know, its the same story for Mk4s as well. You can find a 2.0 all day for $2,000, but a TDI will easily cost you $6,000 and up!

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
12/2/09 3:47 p.m.
Type Q wrote: They are advertised for that kind of money all the time in Northern California. I think its driven by the fact that cars hardly rust here, fuel is relatively expensive and diesels are perceived to run forever.

Maybe supply and demand as well... unfortunately, a lot of people buy a TDI not knowing what they're getting themselves into... for anyone on this board, probably not an issue, but the average "appliance car driver" can kill a TDI in short order. Unfortunately, a friend of mine and her b/f fell under this category... they had a nice B4 Passat wagon... 5 spd, no less... but took it to hack mechanics for service... last I heard, the car was dead (after them dumping buckets of $$ into it) and given to a father/son as a project. When I first reaquainted with them a few years ago, I was tempted to say something, but held my breath... now I kinda wish I hadn't...

John Brown
12/2/09 4:00 p.m.

Whatever you do run away from a "Pumpe Duse" TDi.

Oh, the horror.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
12/2/09 4:06 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: i assume its going to be a contender with the K1 attack, which i think the kit is like $20 grand...

Kits for these are not longer available. When they were 30-35K+ without drive train paint or assemble.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
12/2/09 8:29 p.m.

Hey John, I know it's OT, but why's the PD motor so bad? (genuine curiousity, my commute has me eying TDI's all the time)

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YOOVOr5yDicp7MFrDBNrv6AAHCwOMkpkBcRlVWna5dZoa3c4vDBFLg5Xix1ML8sR