JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/19/12 2:08 p.m.

Whether or not you’re a fan of his music, you have to recognize Trent Reznor—the creative force behind Nine Inch Nails—as a bit of a pioneer in the music industry. Sure, he took inspiration from the many bands who paved the way before him, but he did something particularly creative when he released “Year Zero” in 2007: He made several …

Read the rest of the story

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/22 9:18 a.m.

I bet you could buy the Spec Miata for the cost of track weekend, or two, with the 962 :-)

Then again, if you can buy a 962, you aren't worried about $$$

This article is really about what I love about this hobby... ALL race cars are cool and I want to drive them all.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/13/22 5:21 p.m.

This article brings up what I've been saying about really fast cars are not "fun". 

Hear me out on this statement.

While not fortunate enough to drive a 962; I have been able to drive some very fast cars.

I think the two fastest being our old D-Sports race and a Formula Super Vee. The DSR was only a second a lap slower than the Trans-Am lap record at my local track. For those who don't remember FSV these cars were supports series for Indy car weekends. The FSV was a ground effects car. Note: You could probably throw a race prepped 911 GT3-RS and a 750hp race Viper but In didn't have carte blanche in those two cars.

The DSR & FSV were unbelievable adrenaline rushes and just a phenomenal sensory experience but they weren't put a big grin on your face fun. They commanded respect; if you got it wrong beyond some minor bobble you were traveling at such a rate that you'd run out of real estate very quickly. The opportunity to have a really bad day was much higher than most club racing cars. 

By contrast a Spec Miata is glorious fun; you can hang them out like a hoon and most drivers aren't likely to get caught out. They are doing donuts in a muddy field kind of fun.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/13/22 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I have raced ministock, and pro late models.  After a year, I was still tense in the late model.  Second year, it all slowed down.

I moved back to mini after a while, and it was funny. "Oh, look.  That guy is going to crash.  Yep, there he goes.  I think I'll just deal with this situation in all the time I have available to me."

I feel like you can get used to the speed, as long as you are comfortable with the potential bill after you have to sweep it up off the back straight...

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/14/22 2:23 p.m.

This would even things out a bit, LS-powered Miata on BaT now.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-mazda-mx-5-miata-41/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b5qrOnSCP9NNmr2b02z0trDtlSmXomzGkPn9MA83kHmlgwEKp8Rv1iikgha6IFOs