1 2
TommyWants
TommyWants New Reader
1/9/20 3:38 p.m.

You've described a minivan with your needs but barring that, I have a 2013 Avalanche I love and I can fit a stack of plywood in it with the back seat folded down so maybe its Suburban sibling can, too?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/9/20 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

The only reason I didn't recommedn a Pacifica is because I have precisely zero experience with them, and I am not sure how they fall relative to the $30k budget cap.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
1/9/20 5:51 p.m.

I like that people are clearly recommending things WAY outside of your budget. <4 year old suburban or sequoia? Going to cost a MINT unless it already has $140k miles. Things have gotten rediculous with regards to MSRP. Want to spend 100k on an SUV? How about this Chevy?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/9/20 5:56 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

I like that people are clearly recommending things WAY outside of your budget. <4 year old suburban or sequoia? Going to cost a MINT unless it already has $140k miles. Things have gotten rediculous with regards to MSRP. Want to spend 100k on an SUV? How about this Chevy?

Having the same requirements for the OP and the same budget, my suggestions of Sienna or Sequoia (depending if he wants van or SUV), were both in budget. The ones below can easily be negotaited to the 27-29K range.  No clue on Chevys or other peoples recommedations. My cousin got Infiniti QX60 for dirt cheap (2019 CPO, 10K miles, MSRP 54K, bought it for 34.5), but I wouldn't recommend one of those with a CVT to a family man who wants no headache transport. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 6:51 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Stefan :

The only reason I didn't recommedn a Pacifica is because I have precisely zero experience with them, and I am not sure how they fall relative to the $30k budget cap.

They depreciate like a stone, like all minivans, so they can pick one up a couple of years old for his price range as long as they aren't set on a Hybrid (even those show up decently priced but you don't get the tax incentives).  They are essentially the same box underneath as the previous gen with a similar drivetrain with the usual improvements that come along with successive generations.  The Pacifica just has a fancier shape and options, but those are subjective.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/9/20 9:36 p.m.

Im sort in this same shopping zone right now.  

Just moments ago, I was on the Hertz sight looking at off-rental minivans.  What stuck out to me was that Hertz seems to currently have a glut of Toyota Siennas.  As an example, within 1000 miles of me there are currently 300 Siennas available.  Samples are 2018 model SE-8 seat (loaded model) w/ 40k miles at $23K  These are $40k new.   The SE is The Swagger Van Edition.  

Seems to me that the Pacificas are higher priced and the Carvan is less equipped.  

Enterprise is asking $3k more for the same Sienna and they have very few.  

Yes, I know the Toyota does not have Stow and Go.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/10/20 6:22 a.m.

"Stow and Go" seems to be the Psalm that all the helicopter moms are singing these days.  

berkeley sliding doors.  Wherever Mrs. VCH parks her K2500 'Burban, people give her a WIIIIIDE berth.

Image result for park too close and my kids will ding your E36 M3

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
1/10/20 6:49 a.m.
scardeal said:Some thoughts on specs/values we're looking at:
You should at least look at a Metris.
  • 4 years old or less
    • First year is 2016
  • up to $30k or so
    • used passenger version
  • 3 rows with room for 3 kids and luggage
    • 8 real seats plus boot space
  • durable, both mechanically and interiorly
    • get the fake leather, otherwise it's a commercial van
  • Good A/C
    • passenger van has front and rear AC units. if that's not enough you can get it with dual condensers and idle for hours with full AC
  • hauling 4x8 plywood a plus, but not 100% required (ideally with hatch closed)
    • passenger van can do them on the side or slightly elevated off the floor
  • yearly trips to wintry weather, but most of the time in the balmy South
    • does well with snow tires
  • Good at navigating flooded streets a big plus
    • haven't tried
  • AWD/4WD a plus but not necessary
    • has good traction control
  • Towing a plus but not necessary
    • 5000lbs trailer and 11k gross combined

Don't get: electric doors, auto park or navigation

Do change: the radio, switch the 3rd row seat from a 3 seat unit to a 2+1

Do get: extended warranty

Suggestions?

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/10/20 7:16 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse
1/10/20 7:17 a.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/10/20 8:12 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The Enterprise near me only has GC GT vans as rentals.  My used GC GT is a former Enterprise rental (I found old self-insurance papers for it). The GT was apparently a fleet-only model sold to rental companies and it has a ton of bells as whistles, although lacks the lane assist and high-end camera features of newer models. 

Power sliding doors when you are approaching the van in a grocery store parking lot in the rain with two hands full of grocery bags is an awesome thing.

But everything I've read says the Pacifica is a much better driving van than the old GC (which is still in production for 2020) and if I were in the market for a pure people-hauler instead of a bicycle hauler, then a Pacifica would be at the top of the list.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
1/10/20 9:34 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

berkeley sliding doors.  Wherever Mrs. VCH parks her K2500 'Burban, people give her a WIIIIIDE berth.

It must be nice living somewhere that she can (and does) always park in the middle of 3 consecutive open spaces.

Stefan
1/10/20 10:06 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

"Stow and Go" seems to be the Psalm that all the helicopter moms are singing these days.  

Image result for park too close and my kids will ding your E36 M3

If your family dings people's E36 M3, then hey aren't good people and the parents have failed.  There's no reason to ding other people's E36 M3, unless its a situation out of their control.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/10/20 10:23 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

I guess that means this isn't real.

or this

and this

volvoclearinghouse
1/10/20 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
1/10/20 12:16 p.m.

I would recommend that you guys purchase a cpo or new Chrysler Pacifica/Voyager. It is hard to beat Stow n Go. My wife took some time and she still hates the 3rd row seating but the rest of the van wins on driveabilty and long trip comfort. We did a Detroit to Miami run and she commented how she was the most relaxed of any prior road trip ever. 

The next on my list would be either the Kia Sedona which is excellent and can lean very luxury oriented or the Ford Transit which leans towards the sporty Honda Element style.

The Honda Odyssey is a good choice too but I just feel they are always overpriced for what you get, even used. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
1/10/20 1:58 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Olemiss540 said:

I guess that means this isn't real.

or this

and this

But none of those even have autonomous cruise control!

Cloth seats?!

What's the saying? 6 exceptions does not a rule make.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/10/20 2:18 p.m.
Advan046 said:

I would recommend that you guys purchase a cpo or new Chrysler Pacifica/Voyager. It is hard to beat Stow n Go. My wife took some time and she still hates the 3rd row seating but the rest of the van wins on driveabilty and long trip comfort. We did a Detroit to Miami run and she commented how she was the most relaxed of any prior road trip ever. 

The next on my list would be either the Kia Sedona which is excellent and can lean very luxury oriented or the Ford Transit which leans towards the sporty Honda Element style.

The Honda Odyssey is a good choice too but I just feel they are always overpriced for what you get, even used. 

The amount that my aunt and uncle got on trade for their 270k miles Oddity could get you a same-year Grand Caravan with about 50k miles on the private market. 

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/10/20 2:35 p.m.

I have a 2015 Sienna that I've owned since new.  It is comfortable, well built and absolutely bulletproof.  It can carry full 4x8 sheet goods but the back seats must be removed, which is a minor ball ache.  They are heavy.  I don't mind doing it a few times a year but wouldn't want to do it every week.  My family of four takes it on 12 hour road trips several times a year, and nobody complains.  I may own it until I die.

I rented a new Pacifica for a week long family vacation last year.  I was pretty impressed with it; comfortable, solid build quality.  The gas mileage was surprisingly good, notably better than my Sienna.  Stow n Go is a nice option, but the back seats are nowhere near as comfortable to sit in as my Sienna seats.  I would still put the Sienna ahead of it, but not by much.

I just rented a new Grand Caravan for a week over Christmas this year.  I thought it was absolute garbage, nowhere near the quality of the other two vans.  Floaty and noisy on the highway.  Cheap uncomfortable interior.  Abysmal gas mileage.  

Stefan
1/10/20 3:04 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Stefan :

I don't see where there is any humor in your post or how it contributed at all to the discussion.  So thanks for nothing?

Back to the subject at hand, like I said the Pacifica is a damned fine rig in any guise.  Go drive a few and see what you and your family thinks, especially compared to similar priced 3rd row SUVs.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
1/10/20 3:23 p.m.

Do all the minivans fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/10/20 4:12 p.m.

No jokes allowed when minivans are being presented! 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
1/10/20 4:21 p.m.
yupididit said:

No jokes allowed when minivans are being presented! 

This better not be sarcasm.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
1/10/20 4:41 p.m.
scardeal said:

Do all the minivans fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

Sedona does not.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u0nFc4l8qOLQgE7M1i8Y99gEjs0o6qpaTOpFVzrtHvmR75z2hUDFPhayOmQBkav5