DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/15/19 7:59 p.m.

I'm watching the Chad McQueen remake of the Bullitt chase scene. It even has the VW Beetle in it !

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/19 12:12 a.m.

Did they recreate it down to the same hubcap coming off multiple times as they blended together the same shot over and over.....   most over-rated car scene ever.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/19 12:18 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

most over-rated car scene ever.

Not a chance!!!

With the technology they had and in what is a terrible movie, that is a phenomenal car chase. It has aged very well. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/16/19 12:46 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Did they recreate it down to the same hubcap coming off multiple times as they blended together the same shot over and over.....   most over-rated car scene ever.

Compared to WHAT? 

Unless you like overcranked video, wildly inaccurate sound, a driving rock beat and stupid unrealistic cgi, there are not that many other options.

The difference between a car guy making a car chase scene and a movie guy doing one is huge. I won’t ever get into the horrific aviation scenes that have been done (PS, the Great Waldo Pepper has some of the best)

I do find it funny they where supposed to set the car up as it was to recreate the scene and put a posi in it!  They seemed to wonder why they could not get that smokey reverse burnout from the missed turn... well, I have an idea!  I wonder if their pro (drift) driver had no idea how to drive an open diff car.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/19 5:44 a.m.

The sound of the 390 Mustang blasting up the mountain road, with double-declutched shifts (audio properly synced - watch the oil puffs from the exhaust tips) still gets the hairs on my neck to stand up.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/19 8:12 a.m.
Knurled. said:

The sound of the 390 Mustang blasting up the mountain road, with double-declutched shifts (audio properly synced - watch the oil puffs from the exhaust tips) still gets the hairs on my neck to stand up.

Me too. 

Every. Damn. Time.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/19 8:53 a.m.

This reminds me of William Shatner on SNL addressing the Trekkie convention:

”...you’ve taken something we once did on a lark and turned it into a colossal waste of time...”

Somehow I think McQueen, Bud Ekins, and Max Balchowski would agree with that sentiment.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/16/19 9:32 a.m.
Knurled. said:

My understanding is they used a Ford GT40 for the soundtrack.  Before I found that out I always wondered why he was double clutching every shift.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/16/19 10:22 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Hardly. I’ll take several minutes of a 1968 Mustang GT Fastback with a 390 and manual transmission flying around corners and smoking the tires ANY DAY. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
7/16/19 1:12 p.m.
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/19 1:27 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

This thread is worthless without linky

Not the hero we deserved, but the hero we needed.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/16/19 2:01 p.m.
bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/16/19 2:12 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

Is it me or did this thing look slow and not all that exciting?  

Also, poor editing... Look at 1:12, the car was just waiting there with brakes lights on. lol.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/16/19 4:47 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

If they were trying to recreate the original scene, what's the deal with using a Challenger instead of a Charger?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/16/19 5:37 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I'm watching the Chad McQueen remake of the Bullitt chase scene. It even has the VW Beetle in it !

I was wondering why he wasn’t driving the car then....I don’t want to ruin the ending. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
7/19/19 2:54 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
RealMiniNoMore said:

If they were trying to recreate the original scene, what's the deal with using a Challenger instead of a Charger?

Maybe they wanted a 2-door, not 4-door? 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/19 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Both videos terrible, not enough lost hubcaps.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0FU2KvtaW7jHrrPkMBWeiFRHXdS3M9awKYiyXHnXtmlqOSczOGu4aM8VLZrO2RO4