icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/13/17 11:02 a.m.

Reaching out to the brain trust here. 

I have a friend who needs to get a 67 camaro restored FAST.  Her dad has collected various non running muscle cars for years, and a ridiculous pile of parts to go with them.  His plan was to retire this year, and then spend his time fixing all of them up. 

Then life happened.  He was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, and doesn't have much time left.  One camaro is already in restoration, but they have a second one they want to do a restomod on, the local places have said this is a 2 year endeavor.  He doesn't have that long and really wants to see his daughter drive this one.  He has an LS7 and most of the parts for it. 

i don't know of any shops that have the manpower to crank this out in a short timeframe. 

They'd be willing to ship it wherever if it could be done quickly.  Heck I'd drag  it somewhere myself if need be. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/13/17 11:10 a.m.

Sounds like a prime candidate for that Overhauling show (or any of the other show for that matter).  Timing may be an issue, but they will love the story.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/13/17 11:15 a.m.

I don't think overhaulin is making active shows.  She just reached out to gas monkey garage but she doesn't want to rely on being picked

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/17 11:54 a.m.

https://www.mecum.com/

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/

It may not be the answer to the original question, but the results are probably the fastest way into a complete restomod camaro. Going to the auctions, doing the research, selling the current cars and parts (can they find a way to auction some stuff off at the same time?), etc, would also all probably add up to just as much fun times and sentimental value in the completed vehicle.

Might be an option.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/13/17 12:25 p.m.

Realistically, it's going to take a regular shop 2+ years to finish the work.  Only with a TV crew, sponsors handling the parts supply, and a huge tag team of body men will it get done sooner.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
12/13/17 12:26 p.m.

What kind of shape is the car in? Restorations that take that long are typically for a perfect one maybe they would be better off for now getting it into a safe well running mechanically and not worry too much at the moment about a perfect body etc if the it’s not too bad of shape.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/13/17 12:34 p.m.

Curtis?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/13/17 12:40 p.m.

The frame engine and suspension is sitting in the garage the body is outside.  It has a little bit of rust around the back window and back quarterpanels but it's pretty solid.  

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/13/17 1:04 p.m.

Its gonna be absolutely over the top expensive to do a car fast. You are talking buying everything instead of rebuilding what is there.  Order an Art Morrison chassis. Crate motor, crate trans, New rear end... ect. the day the car arrives. strip for dipping or media blasting and hope the parts get there before  you have to set it back on its wheels to set panel gaps, align fenders and doors and proceed with rust repair and body work.

Heck, A fast chrome shop will still take 3 months and the chrome has to be fitted after bodywork and before paint . So 6 months before the chrome gets back? Interior? Better buy it because that starts happening after paint.

We are a restoration shop. To do what you are asking, on top of our regular load would require us to find and hire enough people to run a second shift. Our restos take from 9 months to 18 months depending on the amount of metal repair needed.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/13/17 1:13 p.m.

Tough break.  That's a bad one.  One of the worst, actually. 

Any body shop should be able to fix the rust and paint it in a week.  Just exactly what does he expect for "restoration?"  Fix/paint the body, get an upholsterer to do a rush job, mechanic to get the motor running and put it together, I think you could sub it out and have it done in a couple months if you just throw money at it.  Now, if you want one of those "better than it left the factory" jobs, then it's a couple years.

Yeah, those shows.  If you look, they have the whole thing lined up and scheduled.  Sure, they might do the work in a week (they say), but it looks like they did 6 months of scheduling and ordering to get everything arriving at the right time of that week.  Like that Chip Foose Europa.  Even with all that, they still didn't finish it in two weeks.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/13/17 1:24 p.m.

Haul car off somewhere.

Find  a finished resto-mod Camaro that fills the ticket to some degree, Buy it. Get it painted a specific color if you have to.

Lie to a dying man to make him happy.

Alternatively

Plus about 1000 hours of time and the parts you have.

How perfect does it have to be? You can MAACO the body and bolt the LS in the car in a month. Add a set of nice wheels and at 20 feet distance it would work. Doing this with Dad in the shop would be worth more to me than having a perfect resto mod when all said and done.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/13/17 2:15 p.m.

Thanks for the replies.  sonfar her dad is nuts OCD for getting every single thing exactly right.  But I think that went out the window today.  I'm going to try to get a better idea of what is important to him and where we could cut corners.

Dave
Dave Reader
12/13/17 2:59 p.m.

Even a shop takes on the project I think there is a huge chance of timeline slippage and disappointment. Maybe shop for a finished (or close to) car with his daughter? They could add a few personal touches.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T71nHRxi19vGztznYqbYzusJ5T9EDDlYD1ym3FXkyW2SqYRvHodJqzcKVc2ngJT4