Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/15/15 11:35 a.m.

I hope it's okay to link to another automotive website. If not mods please feel free to delete. My friend Mike did this photo shoot /article feature for his website earlier this summer, and finally got it all put together on his site. Enjoy:

http://clunkbucket.com/delica-starwagon-of-the-commonwealth/

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
9/15/15 11:41 a.m.

That's fantastic. Congrats!

Really nice feature. Van looks great in it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
9/15/15 11:49 a.m.

Nice writeup on your van! Pictures look great as well. I still can't get over how awesome that van is.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/15/15 11:53 a.m.

You think you like it now wait until I let you drive it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/15/15 12:03 p.m.

I think I recognize the background!

I love that thing!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
9/15/15 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

DO WANT!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/15/15 12:16 p.m.

Too fun! I should have come by this summer when I was there.

The pics have a very cranberry bog-esque look in the background

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/15/15 12:33 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Too fun! I should have come by this summer when I was there. The pics have a very cranberry bog-esque look in the background

The pics were taken at a cranberry bog, and also Duxbury Beach.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/15/15 12:36 p.m.

Fantastic. Van is super clean. Pictures are very well done.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/15 12:39 p.m.

That combines a long list of things I love:

1. AWD
  2. Boxy Design
  3. JDM Weirdness
  4. Versatility
  5. Utility
  6. Odd car features
  7. Driving lights
  8. Dakar
  9. OEM Off-Road Gauges
  10. Extra stalks sprouting from the console/floor
  11. Fold-flat seats
  12. Grab handles
  13. That mirror thing on the back
  14. 80's weirdness
  15. Vans
  16. COE
  17. Steelies
  18. Cool car names

The list goes on and on!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/15/15 1:05 p.m.

A cranberry bog in the Carver area? No way!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/15/15 1:16 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: A cranberry bog in the Carver area? No way!

The hell you say!!!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/15/15 1:26 p.m.

Unrelated to the Delica but related to the region.

In Carver, there is a place called Edaville Railroad. My great grandparents lived there (actually on the grounds) until they passed but I went there every summer for a visit.

And I seem to remember something about annually there was a town festival and clam-bake. Sorry to offend you locals but a clam bake might be the worst smell ever.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/15/15 1:30 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Unrelated to the Delica but related to the region. In Carver, there is a place called Edaville Railroad. My great grandparents lived there (actually on the grounds) until they passed but I went there every summer for a visit.

Pictures taken not far from Edaville railroad. Action shots taken at Savery Ave in Carver, MA. This is known as the first divided highway in America.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
9/15/15 1:47 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: Unrelated to the Delica but related to the region. In Carver, there is a place called Edaville Railroad. My great grandparents lived there (actually on the grounds) until they passed but I went there every summer for a visit.
Pictures taken not far from Edaville railroad. Action shots taken at Savery Ave in Carver, MA. This is known as the first divided highway in America.

True story. There's a little section of it left, as the modern Route 58 replaced it years ago. I was driving down 58 a couple tears ago exploring the area, and I stumbled upon that sign. Very cool!

And we have THE MOST bogs around here. In a few weeks, the roads will run red with the blood of freshly harvested cranberries.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/15 2:45 p.m.

Very nice article!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
9/15/15 2:51 p.m.

Such an awesome rig, I just saw one in person in Central Washington.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/16/15 1:35 p.m.

Thanks guys,I'm really happy with how the pictures came out! I'm looking forward to the photographer sending me a CD or email with some high res versions for my own collection. It amazes me what a nice camera can do.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/16/15 5:06 p.m.

Btw, the Cranberry Festival at Edaville had/has a bunch of working steam engines (industrial, not talking about railroad engines).

I'm a big steam-engine fan myself

imgon
imgon New Reader
9/16/15 10:12 p.m.

Nice write up Chris, now you are famous!

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
9/16/15 10:48 p.m.

I read this post when it hit my RSS feed. We have lots of Delicas in my part of Canada, but they're all the bulbous 90s models, not very many classy 80s ones like yours.

Is it intercooled?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/17/15 5:07 a.m.

I don't think any were factory intercooled until they went to the L400 model which is the one you mentioned. All of the L300's were non intercooled, but around 94 or so I believe they did get water cooled turbos.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7rUK71pvp2cj2PyW9MFFLOeKrjAb5DMknegyzIMdchm1WZlQ36MIAV60Yt2Nhl3x