1 2
rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/15 1:02 p.m.
Egghead Racer wrote: Badly. Really really badly.

Me too.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/2/15 1:17 p.m.
rcutclif wrote:
Me too.

We should hug it out.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/2/15 1:19 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Don't misunderstand me, they are not bad cars at all! One of the sweetest shifting gearboxes I've ever stirred the stick on. The engine sings beautiful sounds. Gear ratios on the box really are just right. You will get attention in one, and that's fun. Wind the engine up and all kinds of magic happens.

One thing to remember is it kicked the competitions ass in comparison tests in the day. Proclaimed to have the best folding top system ever (well manual one anyway).

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/2/15 1:20 p.m.
Egghead Racer wrote:
rcutclif wrote:
Me too.
We should hug it out.

Me three. Group hug!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
9/2/15 2:26 p.m.

In college I had a TR4A, and I had a roommate once with a Fiat Spider. The first time we swapped cars my jaw dropped. I think there were 5 or 6 years difference between them (mine a '67 and his a '71 or '72), but it might was well been 50. This was in the mid '80's. Where the TR rattled and flexed, the Fiat felt like a Mercedes. Everything worked, no rattles or leaks, and by god, he didn't even need to do a weekly nut or bolt to keep pieces from falling off. It was an eye opening experience. And this was after I spent a fortune to get mine in great condition.

I developed a deep admiration for Italian cars after that, leading to many, many Alfas and Fiats. You need to have that to want them however. Just like a LBC, they aren't for everyone. I still think Alfas are easier to own than Fiats, mainly because their build standard was a bit higher to start, but it's close. They need to be understood to have a easy relationship, but once you do, they are pretty easy to live with.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/2/15 2:46 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

I want to hug the 124 Spider.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/2/15 4:04 p.m.

Rust rust and more rust..

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/2/15 4:28 p.m.
Egghead Racer wrote: In reply to NOHOME: I kind of look like an orangutan... By that I mean 6'4", 180 lbs of pure stick figure. I'll be fine!

Well, so be it, but after years of pondering this I think I finally figured it out.

You see, Italian womans are actually rather delightfully long legged. Also back when these cars were current, the short skirt was in vogue. The driving position forced the female driver's skirts to hike up in order to drive. This might actually be a brilliant design feature.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
9/2/15 4:31 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Egghead Racer wrote: In reply to NOHOME: I kind of look like an orangutan... By that I mean 6'4", 180 lbs of pure stick figure. I'll be fine!
Well, so be it, but after years of pondering this I think I finally figured it out. You see, Italian womans are actually rather delightfully long legged. Also back when these cars were current, the short skirt was in vogue. The driving position forced the female driver's skirts to hike up in order to drive. This might actually be a brilliant design feature.

Hmm. I guess the best way to test this is to have the Bride of Burrito don a pencil skirt and go for a scoot in the 128. You know, for science...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/2/15 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Burrito:

And it requires video documentation

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/15 7:19 p.m.
Egghead Racer wrote: In reply to mad_machine: Just the shell?

I actually have everything short of the interior for it. I am sure a lot of small parts have gone missing over the years...

I also have a nice set of the early blade bumpers I was going to put on it.

The 1800 is long gone.. but I have a 2000 sitting in the garage too.

I just do not have an interest anymore... boats consume me

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/2/15 7:19 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

yeeessssssssss!!!!!

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/2/15 7:21 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I bet the interior isn't quite so easy to come by these days, huh? I wouldn't mind the assembly, for the right price, but if I couldn't get something critical to be able to drive, that could be concerning.

mad_machine
9/2/15 7:28 p.m.

I have the dash.. and the remains of the door panels. The wood on the dash and the seats died tragic deaths while the car was locked up in a barn for 15+ years with lots of mice

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/2/15 7:34 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

hehe. Stupid rodents... Well, I'll keep it in mind. Probably not doing anything for a while as it is, so maybe our timelines will match up! As long as you're not in California...

mad_machine
9/2/15 10:40 p.m.

Nope.. I am in the southern part of NJ.. I hope to get to the spider by spring. I need to get my ass in gear in replacing the trans in my saab as that car is blocking the fiat in

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AucuaJXQGfRNx5M6aFwuzQ2aCosFmunq7vBYAToRfusHU4U2rthpfISRJSsx5GvR