1 2
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/12/16 11:03 a.m.

Although we’ve tested many of the current 200-treadwear extreme-performance tires this season, one contender has been conspicuously absent: the Kumho Ecsta V720. It was introduced last year, but it was on backorder when we put together our recent tests. Now that the supply chain has finally been refilled, it’s time to see how the Kumho stacks up against the benchmark. …

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD Dork
10/12/16 1:46 p.m.

Any chance of seeing a test of the new 200TW from Nexen, the N'Fera SUR 4? Curious to see how that one performs.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/16 2:17 p.m.

N'Fera SUR 4s are UHPS tires, a couple classes below EPS tires (and then you could consider "cheater EPS" to be another class...)

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
10/12/16 3:18 p.m.

Very good stuff, thanks for the info! Nice to see this tire compare favorably at a lower price point. Anyone have an idea how it does in the rain or in daily driving in terms of noise?

BTD
BTD New Reader
10/12/16 3:37 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: N'Fera SUR 4s are UHPS tires, a couple classes below EPS tires (and then you could consider "cheater EPS" to be another class...)

That's not how I've seen them marketed. Tire Rack has them in the same category as all the other tires in this thread and 200TW would indicate that's their target market:

Tire Rack Link

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/12/16 3:40 p.m.

I'd love to know how they do in the wet. I drive to events on tires in this class and in Houston that means water sometimes.

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
10/12/16 4:24 p.m.
BTD wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: N'Fera SUR 4s are UHPS tires, a couple classes below EPS tires (and then you could consider "cheater EPS" to be another class...)
That's not how I've seen them marketed. Tire Rack has them in the same category as all the other tires in this thread and 200TW would indicate that's their target market: Tire Rack Link

Have you watched Tire Rack's video on the Nexen?

They basically said that it's a good first try, but considering it's not much cheaper than the Kumho, it's slightly inferior to it and has far worse road manners than any other 200TW tire (including the RE-71R and Rival S).

The only reason I can see it making sense to order it is if you didn't want to spend the money on the RE-71R and the Kumho wasn't made in the size you want.

It seems like they simply didn't do a lot of R&D on it (which makes sense considering it's Nexen). They just threw together a very stiff construction with a very soft compound with a very standard EPS tread pattern without actually testing it. The result is a tire that provides decent grip but poor feel and feedback and has poor road manners and transitions poorly.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/12/16 4:48 p.m.

Am I the only one that wants to see a sh!tty tire test??? I mean come on, some of us commute here!

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
10/12/16 11:57 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

The issue then is how shirty are you willing to go. Say I recommend the BFG Sport Comp-2. Is that shirty enough for you? Do you really want an autocross test for no-name Chinese all-season tires? That would be like deciding which bike from Walmart is the best for the Tour de France.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/16 7:50 a.m.
drdisque wrote: In reply to Trackmouse: The issue then is how shirty are you willing to go. Say I recommend the BFG Sport Comp-2. Is that shirty enough for you? Do you really want an autocross test for no-name Chinese all-season tires? That would be like deciding which bike from Walmart is the best for the Tour de France.

Hey now, I run the Sport Comp-2 as a dual-purpose tire. It's my DD tire that does great on the street and sticks very well in the wet. I drive it to the autocross, add some air, and take beat out a lot of the cheater 200-treadwear tires. Then drop pressures and drive home. They have outlasted the OEM Bridgestones by a fair margin already, and were easy on the wallet...I just stopped at Costco and bought a set. IMHO, a great tire.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/13/16 7:56 a.m.

If we test E36 M3ty tires we need to do a 'skid pad until it's bald' test.

GameboyRMH
10/13/16 8:07 a.m.
BTD wrote:
That's not how I've seen them marketed. Tire Rack has them in the same category as all the other tires in this thread and 200TW would indicate that's their target market: Tire Rack Link

Ah I see. Info I found was on the SU4. Didn't find the Tire Rack page through Google.

BTD
BTD New Reader
10/13/16 9:11 a.m.
drdisque wrote:
BTD wrote:
Have you watched Tire Rack's video on the Nexen? They basically said that it's a good first try, but considering it's not much cheaper than the Kumho, it's slightly inferior to it and has far worse road manners than any other 200TW tire (including the RE-71R and Rival S). The only reason I can see it making sense to order it is if you didn't want to spend the money on the RE-71R and the Kumho wasn't made in the size you want. It seems like they simply didn't do a lot of R&D on it (which makes sense considering it's Nexen). They just threw together a very stiff construction with a very soft compound with a very standard EPS tread pattern without actually testing it. The result is a tire that provides decent grip but poor feel and feedback and has poor road manners and transitions poorly.

I have watched it. They praise the RT615k in that video, which gives me pause form the start. Those aren't bad tires, but they're certainly not as good as they make them out to be.

During the video they say the SUR4 has "Massive Grip Levels" but get a "little unsettled" when changing directions because it "takes a moment before it takes a set".

I don't disagree that ultimate grip levels are a tad below the RE71r, but that's somewhat to be expected given their price. The Kumho V720 is below those grip levels as we saw in this very thread, so the question then becomes how far behind is it?

I almost bought the SUR4's because every other major extreme performance tire isn't made in the size I wanted (275/40/18). I wound up going with a more street friendly tire, but if I ever do make the step up, the Nexens will be on the list just because they're significantly cheaper than the other options in comparable sizes.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
10/13/16 9:37 a.m.
CyberEric wrote: Very good stuff, thanks for the info! Nice to see this tire compare favorably at a lower price point. Anyone have an idea how it does in the rain or in daily driving in terms of noise?

In 215/45-17 on our NC Miata, they were very loud. Did OK on the highway in rain, didn't run them on a wet track. Got a bit greasy after 5-6 laps in hot (95*F) weather. I switched to RE-71R and was much happier.

GameboyRMH
10/13/16 9:44 a.m.

Hmm I see the SUR4 is available in 225/45/15, and so is the V720, those could be an option for me when I move up to 15x8s.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
10/13/16 9:45 a.m.

Having ridden in an NA Miata with V720s on it, they're LOUD. Like airplane taking off kind of loud until you get above 50 mph, then they quiet down a little.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
10/13/16 10:15 a.m.

I saw a set start to delaminate in the center at an autox this past weekend.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/13/16 10:47 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: If we test E36 M3ty tires we need to do a 'skid pad until it's bald' test.

Some of us want to know how E36 M3ty the wanlis really are. I'm in.

GameboyRMH
10/13/16 12:10 p.m.

Any grassroots drifter could probably tell you how long the various cheapo Chinese tires last, because that's all they run on their back wheels.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/13/16 12:26 p.m.

I want to know what the best space-saver spare is for auto-X...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/16 11:09 p.m.
ross2004 wrote: I saw a set start to delaminate in the center at an autox this past weekend.

I've had quite a few reports of that. These are an autox only tire that I think has severe heat management issues - the article mentions that. Don't even think about taking them to the track.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/16 2:49 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: If we test E36 M3ty tires we need to do a 'skid pad until it's bald' test.

That's a good idea. How long will the tire last under constant abuse?

Someone who is interested in buying a sh... cheap tire is going to want a tire that lasts a while.

It'd also be interesting to compare a more expensive tire with the same test, to see how the dollar/laps stacks up.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
10/17/16 7:56 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I want to know what the best space-saver spare is for auto-X...

That's easy...none...evrahting out tha trunk!

jnoyes
jnoyes GRM+ Memberand None
11/29/17 12:36 p.m.

Seriously, would love to see this one reviewed, as it's dirt cheap and 200 treadwear:

http://www.gtradial.com/global/Tire-Details/CHAMPIRO_SX2

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/29/17 12:58 p.m.

Interesting takeaway from the article -- Andy and David are champion drivers.  Their average and best times on the Kumhos were nearly identical, but David was a half-second faster on the BFGs.  Some tires really are best suited a particular driving style, so top-level drivers could be giving up wins unless they are doing this sort of testing themselves.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xPsX06wrRmmp5LFYpvwg7Wom2tkGt0Viwou2n1KRs9VM2t1pLA9Rmha0sv6G52XT