1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/17 12:30 p.m.

I got the warning that the position sensor in my quadrasteer is probibly on the way out. IT will flip in to 2w and give me a warning that the rear steering needs service. It will reset if I turn off teh truck and re start it. Anyway this points to the need for a new one. The problem is that they apear to be a discontinued part

GM part # is 26091590

Alternate# 5S6348

The Wells # is SU7859

Duralast Sensor 910221

All apear to be discontinued and no on any shelf. I did find one on ebay for $3200. Ya that is not going to happen.

I really like having the quadrasteer. I am thinking of taking the sensor out and apart and see what it is and if there is a possible fix. It started acting up after I went up a REALLY bad section of road that has potholes 18-24 inches deep (I went up it very slowly) I did not bottom out or anything and no jaring hits to the suspension. Just very slowly went over this messed up section of road but maybe I bumped the wiring or something (I should take a look)

So anyone have any insite on finding discontinued parts? I am striking out on this one. I will probably go down to my local GMC dealer and see if they ahve one on the shelf (you never know)

The other problem I ahve found is that the hubs on my truck are also NLA so that means that when they go I am doubbly screwed.

My other option is to just do nothing and drive it until it blows up then get a rear end from a 2500 and put that in (I would like to maintain the 6 lug so that may be interesting)

Anyway any help finding the sensor for my quadrasteer would be appreciated!!!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/15/17 1:01 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

We have a customer who is in love with their quadrasteer and brings it to us because we can actually manage to find parts.

We usually get what we need from Rare Parts. They make beefed up q-steer balljoints, they may have a solution or know where to get it.

Shawn

dean1484
7/15/17 1:32 p.m.

Got a link or a phone #?

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
7/15/17 2:31 p.m.
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/15/17 2:39 p.m.

I was directed to this thing

I was also told that Duralast part # SU7859 is the one

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
7/15/17 3:16 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I was directed to this thing I was also told that Duralast part # SU7859 is the one

That's the front. Wrong part.

dean1484
7/15/17 4:33 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: I was directed to this thing I was also told that Duralast part # SU7859 is the one
That's the front. Wrong part.

Ya that is for the steering wheel / shaft. On a side note I know people that use that for data acquisition to see the drivers input when data logging.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/15/17 10:05 p.m.

Watching with interest. My (new to me QS) does something similar. It will go into 4ws when first started but turns itself into 2ws within 2-10 minutes and will not re-engage until the truck is turned off and back on. No fault codes or anything however.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/15/17 10:29 p.m.

http://parts.royaloakschevy.com/p/SENSOR-KIT-Steering/47638653/26091590.html ? I swear that all I did was google 26091590.

It looks like its just some sort of bigass rotary encoder, I'd guess you just need to find a way to nondestructively disassemble it for cleaning and inspection (bad solder joints?).

dean1484
7/15/17 10:43 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: http://parts.royaloakschevy.com/p/SENSOR-KIT-Steering/47638653/26091590.html ? I swear that all I did was google 26091590. It looks like its just some sort of bigass rotary encoder, I'd guess you just need to find a way to nondestructively disassemble it for cleaning and inspection (bad solder joints?).

I will order that ASAP thanks!!!! I spent two hours looking on line!!!!

dean1484
7/15/17 10:46 p.m.

I am interested in taking the old one apart and seeing what went wrong and if it can be fixed. It could become another one of those nitch repair possibilitys.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/16/17 5:07 a.m.

From the searches I did for this thing, I'd say you're right.

You could make some money repairing these things. GM dropped the ball not supporting this option after taking on the dough from it.

This was during the era that GM was doing other stupid things so I guess it wasn't a priority

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/17 8:02 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I am interested in taking the old one apart and seeing what went wrong and if it can be fixed. It could become another one of those nitch repair possibilitys.

External-environment electronics generally fail for two reasons: Cracked solder joints on the circuit board, and corrosion. If it's just cracked solder joints, you can fix. If it's corrosion, well, ever see what happens to a Ford fuel pump module? It ain't pretty.

(On the other hand, it makes "My F150 quit on the highway during a torrential downpour but after it got towed in it runs fine" diagnoses a piece of cake. And we get one every massive rain)

dean1484
7/16/17 1:11 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
dean1484 wrote: I am interested in taking the old one apart and seeing what went wrong and if it can be fixed. It could become another one of those niche repair possibility's.
External-environment electronics generally fail for two reasons: Cracked solder joints on the circuit board, and corrosion. If it's just cracked solder joints, you can fix. If it's corrosion, well, ever see what happens to a Ford fuel pump module? It ain't pretty. (On the other hand, it makes "My F150 quit on the highway during a torrential downpour but after it got towed in it runs fine" diagnoses a piece of cake. And we get one every massive rain)

I found a niche market rebuilding steering shafts for porches that has made me a lot of Beer Money over the years. If it is as simple as a cracked solder joint I can see it being quite lucrative. Corrosion on the other hand would be an issue. about the only thing that would work then is if the electronic sensor part in the sensor could be swapped out. We will see once I get mine replaced and I have one to tear apart.

dean1484
7/18/17 4:19 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: http://parts.royaloakschevy.com/p/SENSOR-KIT-Steering/47638653/26091590.html ? I swear that all I did was google 26091590. It looks like its just some sort of bigass rotary encoder, I'd guess you just need to find a way to nondestructively disassemble it for cleaning and inspection (bad solder joints?).
I will order that ASAP thanks!!!! I spent two hours looking on line!!!!

Well I ordered it and then called and it is NLA. They are issuing me a credit and updating there web page.

So the hunt continues

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/17 7:24 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

If you can give me the years and any identifying info I'll look the next time I hit the local junkyard.

dean1484
7/18/17 8:21 p.m.

02 through 05 GMC quadrasteer anything

Stampie
7/18/17 8:23 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

There an easy way to ID quadrasteer? Like hopefully a badge on it somewhere?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/18/17 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

Tie rods and rack-and-peanut on the solid rear axle. Steering knuckles as well.

Or do you mean without getting on your hands and knees? I've seen LS QUADRASTEER badges somewhere. Maybe "Delphi" somewhere?

Stampie
7/18/17 9:13 p.m.

I got off my lazy shiny and Google images it. Looks like the dash indicator is easiest. I don't mind getting muddy pulling a part but I don't want to get muddy just to see it doesn't have the part.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/17 9:14 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: rack-and-peanut

dean1484
7/18/17 9:32 p.m.

The pickups have a plastic bed sides with slight flairs. There is badging on them as well that say quadrasteer. Not sure if the suberbans are labeled and I don't know if they have a flair fender. There should be a button on the dash in the center foe 2w 4w and 4w with a picture of a trailer.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/18/17 10:41 p.m.

Easy to ID a QS Suburban by sight - running lights on the front top and side marker lights on slightly flared fenders.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/19/17 8:04 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: The pickups have a plastic bed sides with slight flairs.

yea they kinda look like a step side bed without the steps

admc58
admc58 Reader
7/19/17 7:52 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to Stampie: Tie rods and rack-and-peanut on the solid rear axle. Steering knuckles as well. Or do you mean without getting on your hands and knees? I've seen LS QUADRASTEER badges somewhere. Maybe "Delphi" somewhere?

If I remember correctly "Delphi" was the developer of this system. I did some training classes for GM Truck engineers with prototype versions of QS. They had a hack into the computer system that would allow increasing the "Crossover" speed to about 70 mph before the QS would start to parallel steer... Boy, they autocross well!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BC54QkfJkeg8CrYuHlzFoU3XRkdRdjZnx82OSxRKEAXmwPbqXoEx9BirV9d0mFd9