Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/18 2:10 p.m.

I carry an extinguisher in all of my cars. I just bought a Miata, and want to continue the habit. I carry a 5 lb in my truck, but that's pretty large, and I don't want to have something like that flying around in my trunk denting the rear fenders. This is a street car, that I will autocross, and perhaps take to the occasional HPDE. 

I was thinking of a roll bar mount. I could attach it to the back of the harness bar, where it shouldn't be a danger to the occupants.  There's a lot of options, with a great variety of price. Any recommendations on mounts, and fire extinguishers in general. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
2/22/18 2:20 p.m.

Realistically, if you can mount a 5lb, I'd do it.  Smaller than that can be of limited usefulness.  Personally in a car, I like purple K over an ABC extinguisher.  Not very useful on burning interior bits, but it's less corrosive and it's somewhat more effective on burning fuel or oil (and safe on electrical fires).  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/18 2:28 p.m.

Yeah ABC basically works by destroying the thing that's burning before the fire can. Fire starves for fuel and dies, mission accomplished! I wouldn't choose this type unless rules specifically require it. AFFF will both put out the fire and save your car, and cleanup is relatively easy.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
2/22/18 2:39 p.m.

Yeah, a foam setup will work nicely as well.  Only downside is that most foam setups can't stay in the car in sub-freezing temperatures (which is why I carry purple K).  

Definitely stay away from halon and other clean agent stuff.  They're pretty much worthless if you're not discharging it into a confined space, especially if you don't have A LOT of agent to discharge.  

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/18 2:44 p.m.

There are mounts available the bolt to the seat mounting bolts so it sits behind the passenger's legs.

You could also use a quick release mount in the trunk where it wouldn't rattle around, but could be quickly reached if necessary.

Floating Doc
2/22/18 2:51 p.m.

Good recommendations for the purple K extinguishers, and they're $44 for the five pound, $60 for the ten on one of the restaurant supply sites. What about a bracket recommendation?

Kylini
Kylini Dork
2/22/18 3:13 p.m.

Blackbird Fabworx makes a *very nice* seat mount bracket if your car is nice. They sell it with or without a halon extinguisher. You can also buy it here: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1715.html

Or you can do what I did: drill through the floor. Try not to hit the fuel lines.

Do consider a bracket with more than one strap. That said, I'll probably die in a crash if it's strong enough to pop this one loose.

*Only use fire extinguishers as directed by a licensed healthcare professional.

amerson
amerson New Reader
2/23/18 2:56 a.m.

Another vote for Purple K. Like ABC dry chemical, it is effective yet not corrosive.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/18 6:01 a.m.
Floating Doc
2/23/18 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I'll look into that one, it looks interesting. However, I'm underwhelmed with their demonstration video on the website.

That fire was a very easy one to extinguish.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/18 7:47 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to Slippery :

I'll look into that one, it looks interesting. However, I'm underwhelmed with their demonstration video on the website.

That fire was a very easy one to extinguish.

I honestly never used it. Jeff Zwart had it up on Instagram a month or so ago. I tought at that price/size it was very interesting.

Floating Doc
2/23/18 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I agree with you, going to investigate further.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/23/18 2:08 p.m.

After personally having a car burn to the ground after dumping 2 ABC fire extinguishers on it, I'm going with Aqueous Foam from now on.  I'll deal with the "keep from freezing" aspects. 

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
2/23/18 5:01 p.m.

Last time I tried to find aqueous foam in a canister extinguisher (not a racecar system with 6 nozzles), I couldn't.  But maybe it's because I can't spell "aqueous" when I try to google it? 

But I looked recently and I can find kits to do the 4 L SPA foam setup, with the nozzles and handles and all, for less than $400, so I'm probably just gonna make that fit the budget.  It weighs all of 20 pounds, which is pretty much meaningless to the Fubari.

mlwebb
mlwebb New Reader
2/23/18 9:02 p.m.

I've been eyeing this halguard one for the roadster, 

https://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250b.htm

But so far I haven't felt flush enough to order it.

The chrome version is nice too.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
2/23/18 11:05 p.m.

I too shall look into the element . I want something for my ski boat. I could see dropping the big one in the doghouse and closing the lid if the 454 decided to burn. And another one up in the forecastle near the fuel tank

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TcvgvmVOW2OeYafTTo7CHQq1fdntID1bnhX5PpV9U4gsn5iUJoN7EIW8v7FEuLO7