Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
5/1/12 9:50 a.m.
feature_image

Eventually, our Fiesta will be a frequent traveller. It will go from track to track, covered with logos, numbers, racing equipment, and road grime. It will be loud and scary, and uninitiated onlookers will shake with fear. And, at least in our minds, it will draw millions of fans from all over the world to watch it top the B-Spec …

Read the rest of the story

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/1/12 10:39 a.m.

You didn't find the ABS to be intrusive? I know on my car (not a fiesta btw, but also a subcompact), if you happen to lift a rear tire or manage to get it to lock up first, ABS engages (basically cutting your brakes briefly), and makes you overshoot the apex.

I did a lot better and felt I had more control with the ABS fuses removed, disabling the system.

You might want to make sure thats an issue that doesnt pop up later with your car.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/1/12 10:41 a.m.

I think the first time i pulled an ABS fuse to disable things that were irritating me was in 2003 or so.

In general now ABS is good enough that i never feel it's holding me back, but i think the same approach will work on disabling stability control. The only problem you MAY run into (and i doubt it) would be setting a DTC that requires a factory scan tool to truly reset.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/1/12 10:41 a.m.

Oh wow. Great minds think alike and type the same things at the same time. lol

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/1/12 11:35 a.m.

Or swap the ABS module for the B-Spec module. I would suspect that it's also done to change the TC calibration.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed Reader
5/1/12 11:49 a.m.

I have a Fiesta and I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding disabling the factory nannies. I believe the 2012s have a way to do so. There is a thread on Fiesta Faction that discusses it.

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/fiesta-buzz/32378-turning-off-traction-control-update-scoop.html

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/12 12:07 p.m.

When I ran this car at the Daytona PDX track event, I turned off the TCS through the center display menu. Either I was too smooth or too slow, but I never felt the traction control or ABS.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
5/2/12 2:48 p.m.

The stability control was only noticeable in high-speed transitions, otherwise it was fine.

On our Fiesta the traction control can be turned off, but the stability control cannot.

We're already looking into our options for disabling these systems, both for autocross and for B-Spec.

haasfogle
haasfogle
6/1/12 6:17 a.m.

i drive a 2012 mazda2 as a daily commuter. the traction control on it is easily defeated with a switch on the dash! mine has seen the track at PCA events and does surprisingly well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OB30p7EoM2WTWAX5TrAXFEx8laf0RttWSJX8QQn1cb9UYhRkn3LOb1BdjmHmksxY