1 2
cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/1/19 2:45 p.m.

In a few short weeks I'll be at Laguna Seca for the Miata Reunion, along with what seems like every other Miata enthusiast within 1000 miles. I managed to get a spot for the track day, and though I have a fair amount of autocross experience, this will be my first time on a real honest to goodness track. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

My Miata is fairly well prepared (I think). The fluids are all fairly new (oil and brake fluid will be replaced before leaving). The suspension bolts have all been checked. The tires have plenty of tread. The cooling system has been upgraded to super overkill status. The only thing I am less confident in is my brake pads - I have Porterfield R4S pads, which I like a lot for daily driving and autocross, but are they enough for a noob on a brake-heavy track? I still have time to replace them, but not much. They have lots of life left in them, so I'm not worried about that. I am on Maxxis VR-1s, so 200TW tires but not super sticky ones.

Run it? Buy the pads, even though I probably won't do another track day this year? All things being equal, I'd prefer not to spend the ~$250 for another set of pads that will mostly sit on the shelf. What would you do?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/19 3:13 p.m.

I expect the R4-S are probably fine for your first-ever track day in a stock-motor 1.6 Miata, even at Laguna Seca.  Bringing a spare set of front pads with you isn't a bad idea, and you can get those for much less than $250 (looks like $87 at FM).  You're not likely to use up the rears or need to replace the rotors.

When you flush the brakes, I recommend using a fluid with higher-than-usual temp ratings, something like ATE super blue.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/1/19 4:05 p.m.

Right, that is the obvious answer. I seem to have missed the forest for the trees, and went straight from "run exactly what I have" to "replace all of the brake parts". 

I tend to use motul because it's easier for me to find, but yes, brake fluid will be replaced with the good stuff. 

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
10/1/19 4:47 p.m.

Roll bar?  I don't see one in your profile pic.  Otherwise- jeans, long sleeve shirt, closed toed shoes, heavy dose of humility, and send it!

codrus
10/1/19 5:08 p.m.
cmcgregor said:

Right, that is the obvious answer. I seem to have missed the forest for the trees, and went straight from "run exactly what I have" to "replace all of the brake parts". 

I tend to use motul because it's easier for me to find, but yes, brake fluid will be replaced with the good stuff. 

Nothing wrong with Motul, that's what I use.

I'll be there too.  Probably the last track day for my Miata as I've mostly switched those duties to the M3 these days.  Still, I've been to all the other Miatas@MRLS events, so it'd be a shame to miss the last one. :)

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/19 5:18 p.m.

Roll bar seems to be required.

https://miatareunion.com/safety-inspection/

calteg
calteg Dork
10/1/19 5:25 p.m.

1) Check your ego in the paddock

2) Hydrate throughout the day

3) Install hardtop if you have one

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/1/19 5:37 p.m.

Yep, I have a good rollbar and my hardtop is getting bolted on. Will definitely bring water, the whole family is camping for the weekend so we will have lots of supplies. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
10/1/19 5:54 p.m.

The only thing I'll add is that from an instrutor stand point; in general most people who go from autocross to track driving tend to charge the corner entrances, so take your time. Whereas autocross is broadswords / battle axles, road racing / track driving is more fencing.  

Other tips; slow hands, be sure to be very smooth releasing the brake pedal so as not to unload the front end, trail braking is your friend (dependent on the car's alignment you may not want to trail the brake to deep into the corners) and don't get caught up "racing" people. Also if you get stuck behind a less experience and much slower driver, don't be afraid to go into the pit lane and tell the starter your looking for some space.

The biggest thing is relax and have fun.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
10/1/19 6:01 p.m.

I ran Porterfield R4S pads on my 1.6 at Laguna Seca multiple times without issue. I got them enough to stink once and loose a little bite, but they didn't fade enough to be scary. I just back off and let them cool.

I am going to to be at the reunion Saturday. If anyone else is going, maybe we should do a GRM meet up.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/1/19 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Thank you! I'm definitely going into it with the mindset of just having fun and learning about my car. I'm not much of a red mist kind of driver in general.

A meetup would be fun! I'm driving Saturday, but will be there Friday evening - sometime Sunday. I have a pretty recognizable car, even in a sea of Miatas - it's yellow with black fenders. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/1/19 6:55 p.m.

Based on my own experience, don't stay out too long.  Being able to concentrate lap after lap is a learned skill.  The brain overheats even easier than the car.  If you need to pull into the pits, step out of the car, remove your helmet and clear your head, do it.  It's not a race, so there's no penalty for taking a few minutes off the track to refresh physically and mentally.  

Ride with other drivers if you get the chance and, if at all possible, grab an instructor.  

Also, have your friends/family take video and pictures if they can.  It'll be pretty cool to be able to "see" your car out on such a cool track.  

codrus
10/1/19 6:56 p.m.

I'll be there both days (or at least until I break the car) hanging out with the other miataturbo.net guys -- we're not as scary as the internet says, so stop by and say hi. 

In addition the mostly-anonymous-looking green NB w/ hardtop, I'll have my tow rig.  White silverado, white three-axle TPD trailer.  Looks like this, except I'll be leaving the M3 at home. :)

johndej
johndej HalfDork
10/1/19 8:05 p.m.

Should be basically perfect for first track day! Hell the fact that you're asking here puts you in the upper 50+ percentile. Just go out and have a great time.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
10/1/19 8:18 p.m.

Back to the brake pad question...

In 2017 we attended the Miata event at Laguna Seca with our '92 NA, which has a VVT swap, naturally aspirated.  At the time I had stock 1.6 brakes (all new, good components, SS lines, Motul fluid) with Hawk HPS pads.  I was running NT-01s, and in the low 1:50s my brakes were definitely the limiting factor, exhibiting significant fade into 2 and 11.  I did still have the stock prop valve, which limits the contribution of the rear brakes.

I have seen reviews leaning both ways, but the R4S and HPS are both marketed in the same category of brake pads, so I would expect similar performance limits.

There's a ton of variables that go into what is the proper pad for a particular driver, setup and track, but I would suggest having a backup option if you find the R4S aren't up to it.

As mentioned, changing the fronts would probably be sufficient, especially if you're still running the stock prop valve.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/19 8:18 p.m.

Turn more right than you think when doing the corkscrew.

Also, the last turn onto the front straight is pretty slick almost exactly where you want to put the power down.

That track requires big cajones to get a fast lap time.  Don't try for a fast lap time your first time on the track!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/1/19 8:44 p.m.

If you have proper safety gear, i'd wear it. they might sign off on jeans and a shirt but if you have a fire suit, head and neck restraint, gloves, etc there is no good reason not to wear it!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/1/19 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I expect that you were working the brakes harder than I will be, but I think that I'll at least bring a backup set of front pads. 

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Power? What's that?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/1/19 8:56 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

That's a good point, but that is one area that I am not well-equipped. At least gloves are a good call. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/1/19 11:20 p.m.

On that note, if anybody else needs some safety gear, everything at saferacer is on clearance. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/2/19 6:27 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Turn more right than you think when doing the corkscrew.

Also, the last turn onto the front straight is pretty slick almost exactly where you want to put the power down.

That track requires big cajones to get a fast lap time.  Don't try for a fast lap time your first time on the track!

Um, I'm an idiot.  I meant turn more left at the start of the corkscrew.  In other words, it is a tighter then than it seems.

I_Love_Curves
I_Love_Curves New Reader
10/2/19 6:51 a.m.

I used the R4S pads on my first track day at Fontana in a stock power 1.8 Miata. They were plenty for me. I was trying to test the limits of the car, rather I was aiming for consistency. I still ran up to the bumper of nearly every other novice out there, all in more powerful and more expensive cars. If you don't plan om threshold braking every corner, the R4S should be enough. One thing I think has not been mentioned yet is get your alignment settings right. And if you removed the rear sway bar for autox, put that back in.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
10/2/19 7:37 a.m.

Alignment? If the car is set-up for auto-x, it may have a more aggressive alignment than you will want @ 100mph on track.

Wheel/tire balance? I know that it may sound weird, but it is a concern for a track event. Nothing will ruin the day like a wheel out of balance or at least cost you a session until you can find somewhere to get a wheel or wheels rebalanced. Spending a few bucks at a  shop with a good “road force” machine will be worth it. Again, it might be something that only rears it’s ugly head at higher speeds if your wheel/tires are just for auto-x and never see higher speeds.

Just my 0.02¢

Oh and have a blast! It becomes an addiction, then an obsession and ends up as a financial burden!

Dan

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/19 7:41 a.m.

The only concern I'd have with your brakes as a novice is the tendency of novices to "settle" (their words) the car constantly..  I mean that they often lightly hit the brakes whenever the car starts moving around a bit over crests or bumps.   This doesn't accomplish anything other than not letting the brakes cool down properly.  Upgraded brakes wouldn't fix this, but they can mask it pretty well :)

So my vote is that the equipment is fine, just try to pay attention to not having your foot on the brake pedal other than when you intend it.

Have fun!  You'll be fine.

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
10/2/19 7:57 a.m.

Sounds like a lot of fun. My first few track days were at Laguna Seca as well.

As for the brake pads, you'll probably be fine. If you are worried about it you could change the front pads for something more aggressive. I've only had problems with fade coming into turn 2 but that was in a much faster car. 

One tip that I almost learned the hard way: the track surface at Laguna can be pretty slippery depending on conditions, and there is not much runoff in areas. It will likely be damp and slick for the first few runs in the morning. As people take unscheduled departures from the track, they will bring sand back on the racing surface and that can be surprising as well. Just ease into the driving and you'll do fine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3BNrY93zefXPXwcHOpyFtKCuJJFyNYItCXr4WLKZWnqINHbEHsuDhCzqYCnT31CP