1 2
JimS
JimS New Reader
3/13/18 6:41 p.m.

Driven it multiple times in my brother's modded Miata, my S2000, and my 991 Carrera. Although it is fun I find it to be a little too tight and my wife gets nauseated after about 3 runs. Never seen a cop and very few locals on the dragon itself. There are any number of good roads in the area and usually include them. Don't go just for the dragon. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/13/18 6:50 p.m.

I made my first trip to the Dragon a couple years ago on the way down to pick my wife up from Basic at Ft. Jackson. Two kids and a week of luggage in her FoST, but the trip down was in the middle of the week. Absolute blast even at 7/10th with kids in the car. Stopped at the club house and cooled the brakes while I picked another road to get us back to the highway. All was good till we hit the second curve of the return road and my daughter decided to yak all over the leather. Absolutely no warning and she has never been car sick before or since.

I am hoping to give it another run in June after HRPT, but I bet I'm not the only one with the same thought and on a weekend to boot. We will see.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
3/13/18 6:56 p.m.

I'm wondering how people don't crash or get hurt on this road more often as well known as it is. 

I mean, I love a back road as much as anyone, but it's not closed right? Isn't there a pretty high risk of something going wrong?

I used to tear up back roads in CA in my Miata. Then I was driving downhill and I locked up the brakes in a blind turn with the sun in my eyes and a driver was coming the other way. Crunch! Luckily, no one was hurt. But it went from fun to not at all fun pretty quickly.

There are just so many factors out of your control on a public road, but maybe I'm just scared of dragons! Carry on.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/18 9:13 a.m.
CyberEric said:

I mean, I love a back road as much as anyone, but it's not closed right? Isn't there a pretty high risk of something going wrong?

Correct.  Yes.  

Agreed on not hooning on public roads.  You can have fun without being reckless.  Be alert for other fools.  People get hurt just about every weekend up there.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/14/18 10:15 a.m.

I honestly think that motorcycles are some of the most egregious offenders on Tail Of The Dragon. On one hand you have the Harley guys who putt along at 15mph, and clearly see you behind them but won't just pull over in the provided spots because "Hurrr, this is our road" or something. On the other hand, you have the sportbike guys who ride like absolute shiny happy people and are going waaaaaaay too fast, crossing the centerline and passing cars. Majority of crashes or traffic tickets I've seen on the Dragon have been sport bike guys.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/14/18 11:34 a.m.
Tyler H said:
CyberEric said:

Correct.  Yes.  

Agreed on not hooning on public roads.  You can have fun without being reckless.  Be alert for other fools.  People get hurt just about every weekend up there.

This.

One of guidelines we tried to stick to when I still road sportbikes, was that when we are out on a twisty road, if you have to use your brakes, it means you're going to fast. 

In other words, blasting in between corners, hammering the binders, mid-corner adjustments with the rear brake, etc. You can still maintain a quick, fun pace without going banzai.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
3/14/18 12:00 p.m.
NickD said:

I honestly think that motorcycles are some of the most egregious offenders on Tail Of The Dragon. On one hand you have the Harley guys who putt along at 15mph, and clearly see you behind them but won't just pull over in the provided spots because "Hurrr, this is our road" or something. On the other hand, you have the sportbike guys who ride like absolute shiny happy people and are going waaaaaaay too fast, crossing the centerline and passing cars. Majority of crashes or traffic tickets I've seen on the Dragon have been sport bike guys.

Yup.  I've been exactly once and spent a couple miles stuck behind a leatherboy on his Harley.  In all honesty he was trying to hustle it but was still sloooww and refused to pull over for too long.  For a while  truckers were finding themselves on the road which causes problems for everyone (so long they take up both lanes plus and someone who sees that too late is in for a BAD day) due to GPS routings.

I've said before and I'll say again, it would be an amazing road to run Nurburgring style.  Pull up to one end, pay $20 and blast off.  See you at the tree of shame on the other end.  It would be so much better for everyone involved than the random tickets given out which obviously don't dissuade anyone from speeding and one way traffic would be infinitely safer than what is there now.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/18 12:14 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
NickD said:

I've said before and I'll say again, it would be an amazing road to run Nurburgring style.  Pull up to one end, pay $20 and blast off.  See you at the tree of shame on the other end.  It would be so much better for everyone involved than the random tickets given out which obviously don't dissuade anyone from speeding and one way traffic would be infinitely safer than what is there now.

SCCA does a hillclimb every year at nearby Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest Rd. I've worked it a couple times and it's always a blast.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/14/18 12:23 p.m.
crankwalk said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
NickD said:

SCCA does a hillclimb every year at nearby Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest Rd. I've worked it a couple times and it's always a blast.

Me and a friend took our Miatas over there, did a little reconnaisance and found it deserted and then tried to banzai it. The only issue with that road is that it iis (or was at that point in time) really freaking rough,

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/14/18 12:52 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I’ve been on the dragon multiple times, and either going early in the morning, middle of the week, or during the off season is the key to not having to deal with much traffic.  That said, I kind of prefer the Blue Ridge Parkway, or at least the parts I’ve driven.

Does anyone else have issues with nausea on it?  It generally hasn’t mattered if I’m driving or the passenger, but I usually end up feeling carsick from all the back and forth turns.  The only time it hasn’t happened was riding with my father in law in his MG Midget, and he was taking it very easy.  I don’t usually have problems with carsickness, either, just there.

I don't generally get Nasuea while driving it however the first time I was there both passengers wound up being sick. The next year we went back and the passengers were better prepared with Dramamine and apples (the natural Dramamine it turns out?) and fared much better. 

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/18 2:05 p.m.
NickD said:
crankwalk said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
NickD said:

Me and a friend took our Miatas over there, did a little reconnaisance and found it deserted and then tried to banzai it. The only issue with that road is that it iis (or was at that point in time) really freaking rough,

It is rough but it's a good time. There are little plaques on the guard rails designating what turn numbers you're on in you look close enough.

There's a Finnish guy Heikki something or anther with a turbo miata powered locost that was brutally fast on that course.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/14/18 5:44 p.m.

We have an entire thread on ADVrider about Dragon fails. Scary and hilarious stuff.

I've driven it in a car and rode it on a mc. Its way more fun in a car and you can have a blast without breaking 50 mph on the entire length. But with its popularity in the summer months it really isn't any fun.

My wife got sick riding on it with me. Not me, but this photo is one of the best Dragon pics I've ever come across.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
3/14/18 8:09 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Better carsick than dead.

A very good friend of mine.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/16/18 7:20 a.m.

If you ever get a chance to get to the Dragon for a Subie meet, there is a better option...

There are National Forest service roads interlaced with the Dragon. Just as many miles and turns, but all off-road through the woods. 

The Subie guys ride them all the time  

THAT is a riot!!

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
3/16/18 10:56 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Almost everyone of their corners are blind, and traffic coming the opposite way almost always takes up the road, even around corners. 

I knew this, and kept returning on my Ural. I got iced by a car last summer. A lot of dirt bikes through the area as well. Not worth the high risks..

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/16/18 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Shawnb :

The service roads?

I've been there several times. Never seen opposing traffic. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/16/18 12:04 p.m.

Driving 800 miles to drive an 11 mile "autocross" just doesn't appeal to me.

I have a plethora of driving roads with in a day trip.    Some fun dirt roads too.

Every fall I get to do a pseudo hill climb at a site that held real events years ago.

I'm happy.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/16/18 12:15 p.m.

Glad to hear my issues with nausea are not isolated.  So far, that's pretty much the only road I've been on where it's a consistent problem.  Will have to try an apple for breakfast next time I go there.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
3/16/18 2:07 p.m.

I stopped there on the way back from the challenge in oct and it was a monday and there where very few cars and it was raining for the first run though also which cut down on traffic. I did a run back though and the sun came out it was worth the drive with the fall colors and the wet road for a very cool look. I also drove very slow also and never got out of third gear at all. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/16/18 2:16 p.m.
iceracer said:

Driving 800 miles to drive an 11 mile "autocross" just doesn't appeal to me.

I have a plethora of driving roads with in a day trip.    Some fun dirt roads too.

Every fall I get to do a pseudo hill climb at a site that held real events years ago.

I'm happy.

I beg to differ. I drive farther to the Dragon and its way better than any autocross.

Actually did some searching and found a video from the last time I was there

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffacebook%2Fvideos%2F1509223799143876%2F&width=500&show_text=false&height=281

If you notice that my headlights seem wiggly, that's because the pivot bolts were, unbeknownst to me, loose and backing out. They fell out somewhere in Virginia during the trip home and then my headlights wouldn't go up at all

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/16/18 3:12 p.m.

I wonder why the SCCA or someone doesn't try to setup a "hill climb" type event there?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/18 3:55 p.m.

Ginger can be effective at warding off motion sickness. You can buy (non-alcoholic) ginger beer in the grocery stores here.

I'll usually pack some along when I'm going offshore. Still, it's nowhere near as effective as the ultimate treatment for seasickness: lay under a tree.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/16/18 6:23 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I was all set to see if you could convince me, but.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1dj2ttOF1VBDkZ0M5nejZl00738FhKUgi3L29VQkOHJ9hXUBojUvECRjJ0aaGTVM