Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/16 9:42 p.m.

Hey all,
I bought a used welder a few years back. It came with everything to convert to gas, but I've only ever used it for flux core. I'm converting it to gas as I'm starting bodywork on my truck. I got a tank of mixed gas, and went to hook it up today only to find the regulator screw is broken and stripped.

I'm totally new to this and don't want to blow myself up, so I'm asking for your opinions! Can I tap the regulator and put in a slightly larger nice coarse thread screw, or don't touch it and buy a new one? I'm seeing a new one is $130 CAD at Princess Auto (Canadian Harbor Freight) or I could get one off Amazon for $60 CAD but it won't be here until Monday. A free repair would be great.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/23/16 9:54 p.m.

That should be easy to fix. The pressure setting screw (the broken off bit) is only adding a bit of preload to a spring under the brass "dome" which in turn is pressing against a metal and rubber diaphragm, behind which is the gas. Disassemble it, get the broken part out and replace it with a bolt. Done.

NOTE: Don't mess with oxygen or acetylene regulators! Inert gas (co2/nitrogen/argon) is safe. But get the tiniest bit of contamination on the high pressure side of an o2 regulator and very bad things can happen.

kb58
kb58 Dork
6/23/16 9:57 p.m.

Yup, think "oxidizer" when it comes to O2.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/23/16 10:16 p.m.

On closer look it appears the steel colored thing with the divot is what would be #18, the spring button in the parts diagram above. So you just need a bolt the right size, preferably with a rounded nose.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/16 10:48 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

Thank you so much! Yes, I think the silver bit is the spring button. I can push it in with a screwdriver by hand. I'll take it apart tomorrow and tap new threads once I find a bolt.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/24/16 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away:

Glad to help!

kb58
kb58 Dork
6/25/16 12:23 a.m.

Keep all oil away from the O2 regulator, inside and out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pfh1fKa5aPLkS70UC0P8BuAOFThEup0XX5MlmLRYd8mr5xa2zOUvfOH1rG7km1ZO