1 2
dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/15 2:51 p.m.

I bought an Arcan aluminum 2 ton jack at Costco about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. For the first five years of its life, it lived outside in a fabric garage (last few have been in a regular garage). I've been very pleased with it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/31/15 2:53 p.m.

Sometimes you know you shouldn't click on a thread.
Now I want $800 worth of AC jack and extra bits. The fact that I can't fit either of my jacks under the new car makes all of this seem reasonable somehow.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/31/15 2:58 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Sometimes you know you shouldn't click on a thread. Now I want $800 worth of AC jack and extra bits. The fact that I can't fit either of my jacks under the new car makes all of this seem reasonable somehow.

Sorry!

That's eight weeks of your racing budget.

It's about a years worth of truck resto budget, hence me staying around the $300 range, which is only the summer or so.

But right now the truck is on jacks and I can't get it down, so I have a legit reason to shop.

Please stop with the HF stuff, folks. I am not buying one, no matter how much you love yours.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/31/15 3:03 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Then it sounds like the NAPA one or the H-W is up your alley.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/31/15 3:10 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Please stop with the HF stuff, folks. I am not buying one, no matter how much you love yours.

I'm liking you more and more..

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/31/15 3:11 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Please stop with the HF stuff, folks. I am not buying one, no matter how much you love yours.
I'm liking you more and more..

Want to buy me a jack?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/31/15 3:15 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Almost.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/31/15 3:19 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I'll buy you this one if you come pick it up.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/4909592725.html

I just did a quick CL search and there were several quality jacks in the $100-200 range. Keep in mind that these jacks are fully rebuildable and you can easily get rebuild kits for them.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/31/15 3:20 p.m.

Cool!

I'll look on Craiglist as well.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/31/15 7:04 p.m.

There web site is stuck in the stone age and they don't return e-mails but when you call they answer the phone and have parts in stock and know what you need. http://www.ahpsupply.com/

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
3/31/15 7:22 p.m.

Wow, I knew we had nice old jacks at work but now that I look up "Walker Floor Jack" I think we have 3 or 4 of them in various shapes and sizes. I will have to keep an ear to the ground for when they decide to let them go as gov't surplus.

Oh and that NAPA jack looks pretty solid.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 7:56 p.m.

I was curios just how much those NASCAR jacks cost. Dam!!!!!!!!

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
3/31/15 9:04 p.m.

I researched this exact problem a few years ago. Local awesome tire shop (Radial Tire Company, Silver Spring MD!)deals with lots of track cars and need something durable and low. They use the American Forge 200T which is generally around $270 shipped. I got one and have been totally satisifed. I have the smallest aluminum Harbor Fright jack as well for use on the rear of my 1075# race car, but the Mighty A-F 200T keeps everything up in the air at home.

$280 / Amazon

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/31/15 9:18 p.m.

If you get an ancient one to rebuild be sure to confirm which kind of fluid it takes. I know some of them used brake fluid, not hydraulic oil/ATF.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
3/31/15 9:18 p.m.

When I worked at Balkamp (NAPA) I got a few samples, directly from the Chinese factory that makes their jacks. I also got one of the last made in USA Walker jacks. I prefer the red, economy Balkamp jacks over the Walker. They're one-pump, where the Walker isn't. Balkamp copied the Walker 91-642 jack with their 791-6420 (nifty part numbering, huh?).

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
3/31/15 9:59 p.m.

The aluminum jack Tire Rack sells is pretty good too for the price. we've got a couple of them around the shop and they're our go-to before the 100 lb steelies in back.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=67

those AC jacks are absolutely my favorite though. we had the short length one at the first shop i worked for and it's just sweet to use.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/31/15 10:16 p.m.

In reply to WilberM3:

That looks identical to a HF aluminum model.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/31/15 10:30 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: The AL one from HF is actually a pretty good unit. My steel one from there is a pile of junk.

at rallycrosses damn near half the people there have the HF aluminum one, as do I. I have a heavy 4-ton jack in my garage but I never use it....I just use the muddy HF one and it always works perfect. No leaks, no drips, never loses height, etc....and it's nice and lightweight.

Mel22
Mel22 New Reader
4/1/15 1:51 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Full disclosure: I work for an independent NAPA chain. NAPA sells a 791-6420 3.5 ton shop jack that is just the business. I have sold over 50 of them in the last year, and not one of them has had an issue, all in shop environments including 5 tire shops. They are on sale for $199 nationwide. Starting tomorrow, they will have a "Hero" version (PN HERO-6420) that is for the Intrepid Fallen Hero Fund fundraiser. They are desert tan and $10 goes directly to IFHF. I don't know where they are made, but they have a 2-year, no questions warranty even in commercial shops and are extremely well made. There is one in my garage next to two HF aluminum jacks.

Full Disclosure also: I was a Tool and Equipment rep for NAPA. The 791-series was at least awhile ago made by Sunex. And an excellent jack indeed. FWIW I have two old series 91-642 2-ton jacks (made in USA) and they are still working great...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/15 11:24 a.m.

Find yourself a Blackhawk jack. Preferably a humpback art deco one from the 40s. Get a re-build kit and it will out last you. And your kids. And their kids.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
4/2/15 12:12 p.m.

Apparently Lincoln and Blackhawk and NAPA and a few others had (past tense) a jack which ended in 642 which is very much the same as the current HW 93642. Any of those, used, would work. Am not considering new from those companies (well, I don't think Lincoln sells new jacks). Also not interested in Sunex derived.

Does anyone know about Ranger jacks? Where they are made, any reports?

Nothing on Craigslist or ebay or iwanna except crap.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/5/15 7:49 a.m.

Untitled

Loving the HW so far.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yV8mnRus9uGjG2KyebwHap1ifybNVQlOKkjr3fqCyxnNGDINpzWBQNI4DSJ2Ba99