Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/3/20 4:16 p.m.
feature_image

Best known for its catalog of go-fast bits for all generations of MX-5, Flyin’ Miata has announced that it is switching from a family-owned business to an employee-owned cooperative.

The decision came about after founder Bill Cardell and his wife finally retired after 37 years. Looking into potential parties to sell to, the employees of the company soon decided to step in “to keep …

Read the rest of the story

vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
11/3/20 5:41 p.m.

This is great news. Makes me want to buy a Miata so I can give them my business.

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/3/20 10:35 p.m.

In reply to vsquaredbyrho :

You won't regret it!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/4/20 8:30 a.m.

Very cool news. Congratulations to Keith and the FM team. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/4/20 8:43 a.m.

Wow, what an awesome development.  Congrats and good fortune.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/20 8:50 a.m.

That's exciting news and I wish all of you many more years of success.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/4/20 9:31 a.m.

The hose shop I'm at was once ESOP.  The regular employees owned 53% and four key guys ran the branches and owned the balance as employees (employees with a lot of stock).   

I ended up with some nice stock when they sold out the company to our current guys.   

One guy thought he would be brought in as a key player only to be slighted and bitter for 15 years now.   

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/20 10:53 a.m.

We're not an ESOP but a co-op. It's governed quite differently - every member has the same voting rights, and nobody has more than one share. Decisions are made by a board of directors elected by the members with term limits. With our size, we don't have a separate board.

It's not a way to get rich as you can't sell your shares and they don't change in value, but it's a way for every member to take part in their business. The coop members can share in part of the profits at the end of the year or the members can decide to put the money back into the company. We all agree that we're not expecting a payout, we're looking to keep the company healthy for a long time. Co-ops are fairly rare compared to ESOPs but it works better for a company our size.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, folks. The public response has been overwhelmingly positive. 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
11/4/20 8:12 p.m.
vsquaredbyrho said:

This is great news. Makes me want to buy a Miata so I can give them my business.

x2

All my FM business transactions were always excellent.  Good luck and enjoy the slightly different role in it.  If only other cars had a FM equivalent, the auto hobby world would be a better place.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
duXrdncUc0R2lhq0QaXF0vWrz0lYYedyolssGcHHEZ1fRlaluBRreSyGsSv8r9lz