Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/26/19 12:14 p.m.

Forced by website to create an account to buy online with paypal, then when i called and asked the guy on the phone to take my order and money he wouldn't.   Then i said if i cant place an order without making an account (everyone else takes PayPal without one) i will have to go elsewhere, he hung up in my face.

Oh well, Moss, Fab9, etc sell Miata parts too guys

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/26/19 12:15 p.m.

Maybe should be in off topic, sorry, put it where it should go or even delete it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/26/19 12:17 p.m.

No soup for you!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/26/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I mean this in the nicest way possible but having been in a phone conversation with you I could understand you trying the patience of Job. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/26/19 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Haha!!

JustJim, is it difficult to make an account? I haven’t ordered from FM for over a decade but I recall it being painless. Nobody takes phone orders with PayPal. Entering a password is about the only extra step in creating an account vs not. Make it random and don’t worry about remembering it just reset it every time you order. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/26/19 12:50 p.m.

Double post deleted

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/26/19 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You were wrong and got mad you couldnt convince me otherwise.  The lowest score given in the concours of the 08 Challenge was 12 points, therefore 13 is one more than the lowest score.  Its simple math really

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/26/19 12:54 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I did not try to place a phone order with paypal.  I was not allowed to place a phone order at all.

The point of having a paypal acct is to ease checkout and not spread your personal info all over the net.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/26/19 1:00 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Stampie :

Haha!!

JustJim, is it difficult to make an account? I haven’t ordered from FM for over a decade but I recall it being painless. Nobody takes phone orders with PayPal. Entering a password is about the only extra step in creating an account vs not. Make it random and don’t worry about remembering it just reset it every time you order. 

I just looked. Looks like you need to make a Flyin Miata account to pay with PayPal; if you pay with credit card you don't have to. Sounds like a simple solution to not making an account.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/26/19 1:05 p.m.

What's all this ordering online and credit card talk? 

Are you people from the future or something?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/26/19 1:07 p.m.

micheal jackson eating popcorn.gif

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/19 1:15 p.m.

If you told me you were going to be ordering somewhere else, I'd probably hang up on you to. At that point the conversation is finished. Time to move on. 

I don't like making accounts either, but sometimes that's the price of getting what you want. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/26/19 1:46 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Stampie :

You were wrong and got mad you couldnt convince me otherwise.  The lowest score given in the concours of the 08 Challenge was 12 points, therefore 13 is one more than the lowest score.  Its simple math really

You're right Jim. 100% total dead nuts correct. I can't believe I've been so stupid as to not realize that before. In fact I understand so well now I get what you're saying. Since the lowest score was a 12 that's just not right. Those piece of E36 M3 cars should have been zeros since they were the worse there. Only way to solve it is to bellcurve the results. That'll make those berkeleying 12s the zeros they deserve to be. Then the best car there becomes a 25 because damn it had to be totally dead nuts perfect to be the best there. That bellcurve would put your 13 at about a 3 and my 18.6 at about a 12.5. I'm totally cool with that because you know what?  You're right Jim. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/26/19 2:00 p.m.

Alright, I think we’ve covered the pertinent ground.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/19 3:59 p.m.

There are always two sides to every story, aren’t there? First, remember that every customer service rep is an actual human being. In this case, it was Eric. He’s probably the most patient person I know. He’s actually got a divinity degree. I’ve worked with him for nearly 8 years now - he’s one of the new guys at FM :) He has no hot button at all as far as I know.

Eric agrees that someone hung up on someone, but his account differs in the details on who hung up on whom. 

It is true that you have to create an account to pay by PayPal on our site. I honestly didn’t realize that was the case, I thought we had that turned off and I’ll take another look. Regardless, the only information we collect is your name and email address - and we need that to take an order anyhow. So there’s no extra information that gets spread around or stashed away on our server.

It’s also true that we don’t take phone orders. That’s to protect our customers’ information. If we never get your payment info, we can’t lose it. It’s locked up in data vaults protected by people whose sole job is to protect that info. Banks aren’t good at being aftermarket speed shops and we’re not good at being a bank. So everything is done through the site and and all we ever get is a token that’s the digital equivalent of a thumbs up. It helps us be 100% PCI compliant and helps us make sure that the person placing the order is the person who owns the card. Other vendors may make different decisions in this regard, and that’s their choice. We know our setup can be occasionally be a little inconvenient but it could not possibly be safer for the customer, and that’s our priority.

Jim, I hope that’s enough info to let you give us another chance. I’ll look at that required account setup - I know it’s not required for credit card orders - and you hopefully understand that our “no phone orders” policy has your best interests at heart.

I have no comment on the Challenge concours scoring system :)

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
UpgTX1xaqjuOz6b4vuOwvpeZGLgoCpEyU5EXVZPsuuahQqVX8pqLefH8ODsEcR5Y