1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/27/16 3:12 p.m.
Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/27/16 3:16 p.m.

Does that smidge less than $50k include the Miata?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/27/16 3:22 p.m.

I don't think so. The other conversions in the past have been in the mid to upper 40's range plus the car.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/27/16 3:43 p.m.

So that would put a new car out the door in the $75k~$80k range.

That is more than a Z/28 or a GT350R. A Vette 1LT with magna shocks, performance ducts and track traction control is cheaper too.

A 2017 Gran Sport is the closest competitor with all the performance goodies at $75k going up to $82k depending on 1,2 or 3LT package. Or a base Z06

That is alot of coin.

Is the Miata faster than a '17 Gran Sport?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
9/27/16 3:46 p.m.

The quality of projects and cars coming out of Flyin Miata is really impressive.

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/27/16 4:04 p.m.

Claiming that 2592 lbs is "almost exactly" 2328 is like saying that the End Times will happen tomorrow. In most articles, R&T would be quick to point out how 264 lbs is more than 10% and a fair difference. Ah, creative journalism.

calteg
calteg Dork
9/27/16 5:00 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: So that would put a new car out the door in the $75k~$80k range. That is more than a Z/28 or a GT350R. A Vette 1LT with magna shocks, performance ducts and track traction control is cheaper too. A 2017 Gran Sport is the closest competitor with all the performance goodies at $75k going up to $82k depending on 1,2 or 3LT package. Or a base Z06 That is alot of coin. Is the Miata faster than a '17 Gran Sport?

The people that can afford a $50,000 miata aren't buying it as their 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th car. They want a V8 miata because they want a V8 miata.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/27/16 5:36 p.m.
calteg wrote:
Flight Service wrote: So that would put a new car out the door in the $75k~$80k range. That is more than a Z/28 or a GT350R. A Vette 1LT with magna shocks, performance ducts and track traction control is cheaper too. A 2017 Gran Sport is the closest competitor with all the performance goodies at $75k going up to $82k depending on 1,2 or 3LT package. Or a base Z06 That is alot of coin. Is the Miata faster than a '17 Gran Sport?
The people that can afford a $50,000 miata aren't buying it as their 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th car. They want a V8 miata because they want a V8 miata.

True. And they aren't buying a $50k Miata. They are buying a $30k Miata and adding $50k on top of it in installation and parts. That price surprised me a bit, honestly, but hey - if they can command that for the work then that's awesome for them. I have tools and no value for my own time so I do all my silly E36 M3 on my own. Apparently there enough people who have managed to figure out how to make a fortune, have no taste in automobiles and pay for this stuff

oilstain
oilstain New Reader
9/27/16 6:01 p.m.

Cool, now not only does the new Miata look like a little F-Type, it performs like one too! I love the under body pic, it looks completely factory.

Nice job!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/27/16 6:13 p.m.

Who wouldn't want a modern Shelby Cobra? I'd take one over a vette, the drivetrain of the vette I love, the rest of the package doesn't move the needle for me. I don't despise it, but I'd go Cayman if in that market and looking for a stock coupe. Now if a vette drivetrain stuffed into an ND is an option, I'm checking that out and comparing it against the Cayman. With the laughable amount of power likely the winner.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/27/16 6:31 p.m.

This really is a modern Cobra. Maybe someday I'll have more parking and a bunch of money I don't want.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/16 6:34 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Is that before or after the AMG gets fixed?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/16 6:38 a.m.

Now mind you my numbers is the lazy man's way out. Buy a new ND, give it to Keith and pick it up with all new parts.

I bet in two years you could drop the costs by over half.

Find a wrecked SS Maro. Take the drivetrain, used ND should be in the teens then for a base. Then buy the kit from Keith and turn your own wrenches.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/28/16 6:51 a.m.
kb58 wrote: Claiming that 2592 lbs is "almost exactly" 2328 is like saying that the End Times will happen tomorrow. In most articles, R&T would be quick to point out how 264 lbs is more than 10% and a fair difference. Ah, creative journalism.

To be fair, the article said "That compares mighty favorably to the 2328 lbs." Not "almost exactly".

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/28/16 7:21 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Is that before or after the AMG gets fixed?

Hence, in the future, when I have money.
There is a LOT to be said for the way Flyin' Miata builds an exotic with very off the shelf parts that can be easily replaced. It's kind of expensive to buy, but it should absolutely kill on the cost to drive scale for something that performs like that.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
9/28/16 8:39 a.m.

The work that Kieth and the guys @ FM do looks top notch. I'm glad to see them getting some positive publicity.

I mean this as no slight to them, but if I wanted that level of performance, I'd be getting their v8 Exocet which seems like it can be done for a good bit less cash. They're intended for different customers though I'm certain.

Edit: FM's website says about $75k for a turnkey Exocet with supercharged LS crate engine. No donor needed, so comparable cost right now. As ND prices drop, the gap will grow.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/16 8:58 a.m.

They do great work.

I would have to say what is so impressive about FM is their scalability across the spectrum of Miata performance.

You got funds and lack of will? Call us up and we can handle it from beginning to end. You got knowledge and determination but need a few things connected here and there with a big piece of advice? They got your back with a phone call or email and the parts are in the mail.

All with near OEM-like fit and finish.

Edit: Sorry for the Fan Boi post, companies like this don't exist anymore. Which is why I share anything I can from them when I see it.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/16 9:06 a.m.

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. The Cobra comment got me thinking.

In 1966 a 427 cobra was around $8k new. In todays money that is $60k. This thing will compete with an original cobra in spirit performance and everything else.

That would be one hell of an ad campaign if they could get it out the door for Cobra inflation adjusted money.

FM is the modern Shelby. Now they just need to go and get a manufacturers vin and pick a fight with Ferrari.

captdownshift
9/28/16 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

They really are and seeing that there's no modern small British roadsters (sorry lotus, once the Elise started to look like the larger europa offering and like mini McLarens your product became just another small sports car). Making the miata what Mazda always intended it to be, a modern reliable small roadster in the spirit of the British roadster, but for those who didn't want to have to tinker with it (somewhat ironic as miata owners do more tinkering than just about any group, but it's by choice).

captdownshift
9/28/16 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Also I smell a great comparison article that needs to happen between the FMV8ND and a 458.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/16 9:24 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to Flight Service: Also I smell a great comparison article that needs to happen between the FMV8ND and a 458.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/28/16 10:07 a.m.

I look at this and think about purchasing something fairly exotic with mind melting performance (more than you can use legally, way more) that you could realistically plan to daily for 100k miles without complaint. Drive it to Alaska and not worry. Drive the kid to school. Yes, you could do it with a Corvette too, but I can see where this would really appeal to a certain person who has the means and the desire to be a little different. I'd love to know what their production numbers for in house cars of thr different generations.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
9/28/16 10:25 a.m.

Built a cobra kit car last year, 427, top loader 4 speed, jag rear,engine is worth 10-15 thou., finished project for about 40 'cause Paint was EXPENSIVE. If it was mine I would say Bring On The Miata. BUT a lot to be said for warranty's and service dept.The cobra IS Just a Kit car,Right

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
9/28/16 11:15 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: In 1966 a 427 cobra was around $8k new. In todays money that is $60k.

I'm not sure that straight CPI inflation is the best way to compare car MSRP. I haven't found a definitive number, but consider that in 1967, the ultra-rare, ultra-high-performance, L88 Corvette was less than $6,000. So in 1967, the Cobra originally cost at least 33% more than an L88 Corvette and nearly double the price of a base Corvette.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/16 11:18 a.m.
Driven5 wrote:
Flight Service wrote: In 1966 a 427 cobra was around $8k new. In todays money that is $60k.
I don't think that straight CPI inflation is the best way to compare cars. I haven't found a definitive number, but consider that in 1967, the ultra-rare, ultra-high-performance, L88 Corvette was less than $6,000. So in 1967, the Cobra originally cost at least 33% more than an L88 Corvette and nearly double the price of a base Corvette.

How else would you compare how much the cars retail for?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aq0D1wYxiqO3AihYyqWdkDj8x73OUUUwoI1uP7AKaWLu2zllrU07iYy3KCuDiEu5