darkbuddha HalfDork
May 14, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Just thought I'd share my excitement.

I've been following the development and release of the 2013 Focus ST pretty enthusiastically and finally pre-ordered one earlier this month when it became possible to do so. We ordered it in Oxford White with the ST3 package.

But what's really exciting is that I'll be attending an awesome TV commercial shoot/launch event for the ST (starring Tanner Foust and Greg Tracey) in Key West this week as a guest of Ford. My proactive and enthusiastic interactions on the official Ford ST facebook page and other enthusiast boards seems to have gotten me noticed, and I'm totally psyched to be invited and to be able to go. I'll be there as a "content contributor" and will be posting stuff to facebook and other places (like here) about it as I can. Ford is really trying to reach out to the right folks.

BTW, if you're interested in attending on your own, you can check out the info here: http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/focussedan/play-your-part-in-the-2013-focus-st-tv-commercial/

BTW-BTW... Some of you will recall that I started a thread looking for a new, fun, fuel efficient, daily driver (http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-car-and-its-gotta-be-new/40058/page1/). I ended up just liking the ST more and more as I paid attention to it, and I've been a Ford guy (not exclusively, but I'm a fan) forever, and I just couldn't bring myself to get enthused about any of the cars in that thread that actually met our needs, so the budget and mpg requirements became points of compromise and we went for the ST.

Just wanted to share... now I just wish they'd tell me the production and delivery dates so I can plan my first auto-x date with it. ;)

darkbuddha HalfDork
May 14, 2012 10:53 a.m.

Is anyone from GRM gonna be there? I'd be glad to meet you.

darkbuddha HalfDork
May 14, 2012 10:55 a.m.

One other thing... couldn't resist photochopping in anticipation of exterior mods. Whatcha'll think?

jstein77 Dork
May 14, 2012 10:58 a.m.

Love it - congrats!

N Sperlo UberDork

Oh gawd, Tanner us going to find a way to berkeley it up.

Congrats. Looks super sweet. I'd love to play with one, but thats not in the budget.

scardeal Dork

You could've just snapped into a Slim Jim.

mad_machine MegaDork
May 14, 2012 11:06 a.m.

you need to show up there with the rims in the trunk

MA$$hole Reader
May 14, 2012 11:16 a.m.

If I were to ever purchase one the very first place I would go would be the nearest body shop to take care of those hideous tail lamps. I just don't see the need for them to almost touch the rear doors.

alfadriver UberDork
May 14, 2012 11:28 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: One other thing... couldn't resist photochopping in anticipation of exterior mods. Whatcha'll think?

THAT explains the car I saw this morning. Thought it was one of those, but it was the first one I've seen without coverings.

HiTempguy SuperDork
May 14, 2012 11:31 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: One other thing... couldn't resist photochopping in anticipation of exterior mods. Whatcha'll think?

That is sex.

Too bad the ST is sooooo expensive... I'll be sticking with a Abarth

jonnyd330 Reader
May 14, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Sounds like a good excuse to go down to the keys, you driving from Sarasota? I would go but I have to work and that's a long drive to go down for a day.

Javelin UltimaDork
May 14, 2012 11:40 a.m.

What are the advantages of the Focus ST over a Mazdaspeed3?

93EXCivic MegaDork
May 14, 2012 11:43 a.m.
Javelin wrote: What are the advantages of the Focus ST over a Mazdaspeed3?

It doesn't look like the Mazdaspeed.

May 14, 2012 11:48 a.m.

Very awesome!! We've been chatting on the Ford Message Boards for dealerships about the ST and begging the engineers to make an AWD version. We shall see what becomes of that...

Congrats!!!

Javelin UltimaDork
May 14, 2012 11:50 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

It doesn't look better, either.

93EXCivic UltimaDork
May 14, 2012 11:54 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

It doesn't look better, either.

Anything looks better then a Mazdaspeed.

Winston Reader
May 14, 2012 11:54 a.m.

Love it. The grille has a little Aston Martin in it, which is cool. Dangit, now you have me looking at 'em :)

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
May 14, 2012 12:09 p.m.

I'm guessing the REVO knuckle's up front that are supposed to dramatically help with torque steer? Certainly those are going on this like they do on Euro Focus.

Pete240Z UltraDork
May 14, 2012 12:10 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote: finally pre-ordered one earlier this month when it became possible to do so. We ordered it in Oxford White with the ST3 package.

is there a spot to build and price these on the internet? I was curious as to the pricing.

Javelin UltimaDork
May 14, 2012 12:12 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:

I'm guessing the REVO knuckle's up front that are supposed to dramatically help with torque steer? Certainly those are going on this like they do on Euro Focus.

No real LSD though, it uses the electronics to brake the inside wheel. Whereas the MS3 has an actual LSD and no electronic nannies.

darkbuddha HalfDork
May 14, 2012 12:12 p.m.

Difference between this and the MS3 are yet to be determined, but it uses a different motor, different suspension, different technology assists, and SVT developed the ST, which means it's got SVT's balanced quality I suspect. Oh and the IC is front mounted, not a top-mounted heatsink. Otherwise I think they're going to be good market competitors, along with the 4 door GTI, and the other usual suspects.

Javelin UltimaDork
May 14, 2012 12:13 p.m.
Pete240Z wrote:
darkbuddha wrote: finally pre-ordered one earlier this month when it became possible to do so. We ordered it in Oxford White with the ST3 package.

is there a spot to build and price these on the internet? I was curious as to the pricing.

http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-Focus-ST#/Models

Pete240Z UltraDork
May 14, 2012 12:14 p.m.

yeah, I just found the site.

http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-Focus-ST#/Models/

darkbuddha HalfDork
May 14, 2012 12:18 p.m.

Thanks all. I really am pretty psyched about the car. I've got the XR and Mach 1 to play with, so this will be the reliable daily driver/fun car substitute when the XR is being built/reconfigured/upgraded/fixed. Hauling the kids around in the '70 Mach 1 just isn't practical unfortunately.

In reply to HiTempguy: My kids would barely fit in the Abarth now, and sure as hell won't in another year or two. I needed a real back seat. It's a compromise, but a worthwhile one.

In reply to z31maniac: No REVO knuckle on this one... but they have tweaked it somehow and they say they're able to do the manage torque steer with electronics now. I say I want an LSD and a bit more power.

In reply to Pete240Z: You can build and price on Ford's website: http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/focusst/

Javelin UltimaDork
May 14, 2012 12:31 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha:

That's what I was afraid of. So it has a plain MacStrut front with the computer constantly applying your brakes?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

1 day ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

How Ben_Modified Wows the Crowd: 1 Part Imagination, 2 Parts Fabrication

1 day ago in News

Ben_Modified's build combines some of our favorite things.

2017 Audi A8 L

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

2 days ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

3 days ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

3 days ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

3 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

4 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

5 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

5 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

1 week ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

1 week ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
rlxdfOS66sIRNLy6OrnTRClyIeW2nGRj