1 2
jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
6/3/10 6:51 p.m.

I did not realize the production numbers were that low. In the mid 90's it seemed that these car were everywhere at my local autocrosses. In the early days of Miata I was classed with GLHS Chargers. There used to be two in my region and they were tough to beat.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/10 8:36 p.m.

jrw, don't forget about the non Shelby variants that Chrysler produced and sold. ChryCo allowed Shelby to put prototype parts into production a year before ChryCo did it.

Witness: GLH-S with the T2 top end in 86. Daytona Shelby Z in 87 with the T2 (albeit stronger) 87 Shelby Lancer and 88 Lancer Shelby. The 89 Shelby CSX-VNT and the 90 Shadow and Daytona VNT's. The V8 Shelby Dakota, etc. If ChryCo's accounting department hadn't pissed Shelby off buy making him buy the cars at near sticker price, etc. the 90 CSX would have had the Lotus 16-valve DOHC turbo motor, which then came out in 91 on the Daytona and Spirit.

Shelby also never got access to the stronger production parts for his cars that he wanted, so the 86 and 87 Shelby cars had weaker bottom ends and transaxles than the 87 Daytona's did, etc.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/9/10 11:37 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Nice website. One day I will own one of these.

Well boys and girls....

It looks like "one day" came sooner than expected.

It looks like I'm picking up a 87 CSX tomorrow from a fellow GRM'er! I'm completely pumped. I even got the green light from the fiance because she sat through that seminar I went to years ago about Shelby Dodges, and she actually knows what it is! I'll post pics once I get it. I am planning on making a Challenge car out of it, but try and stay true to the originality of the car. Other than the website originally posted, is there anywhere you guys could point me to do some research on these things?

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/9/10 11:56 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Nice website. One day I will own one of these.
Well boys and girls.... It looks like "one day" came sooner than expected. It looks like I'm picking up a 87 CSX tomorrow from a fellow GRM'er! I'm completely pumped. I even got the green light from the fiance because she sat through that seminar I went to years ago about Shelby Dodges, and she actually knows what it is! I'll post pics once I get it. I am planning on making a Challenge car out of it, but try and stay true to the originality of the car. Other than the website originally posted, is there anywhere you guys could point me to do some research on these things?

<---jealous.

Here's a good start: http://www.dempseybowling.com/

Lots of good stuff in the "performance" section. Also, Bill or Barry from Mini-me wrote a couple GRM articles. One in the "Junkyard Gems" issue, or whatever it was, and another solid several page article later.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/9/10 12:01 p.m.

PS: Lemme know if you wanna sell/trade at/after the Challenge. DIBS!!!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/9/10 12:06 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: PS: Lemme know if you wanna sell/trade at/after the Challenge. DIBS!!!

I don't think it's gonna make it this year to the Challenge, as we only have room on our trailers for our Team External Combustion red Miata and another project that's not a Shelby CSX.

And you're 2nd in line for "dibs" behind my EXTREMELY jealous friend whose been also looking for a Turbo Dodge but can't get anyone to buy his 98 Regal GSE.

I'll check that site out too. I can't wait to get this thing going.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/9/10 12:24 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: It looks like I'm picking up a 87 CSX tomorrow from a fellow GRM'er!

Very Cool! I've had plenty of turbo dodges but never a CSX, so count me as jealous also.

Feel free to give me a call any weekend you are wrenching on it as I know my way around these fairly well. They are very easy to make big power, my good friend runs 9's in his drag shadow...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/9/10 12:34 p.m.
tb wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: It looks like I'm picking up a 87 CSX tomorrow from a fellow GRM'er!
Very Cool! I've had plenty of turbo dodges but never a CSX, so count me as jealous also. Feel free to give me a call any weekend you are wrenching on it as I know my way around these fairly well. They are very easy to make big power, my good friend runs 9's in his drag shadow...

Awesome. I appreciate that! Greg (Pseudosport) is coming to get it with me. It might live with him for a little while.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/9/10 12:59 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Awesome. I appreciate that! Greg (Pseudosport) is coming to get it with me. It might live with him for a little while.

He actually just emailed me about having to get it since I was planning on going to his place tomorrow, but maybe you knew that already... Anyway, I guess I will see it then.

/threadjack

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/9/10 1:59 p.m.

All the people that want to buy turbo dodge projects should come to my place immediately

Cuz i am broke!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SwiTBqSmc5u3pORbaWhs3ba6rBIUUAxAwTifCRcIDjF10dxXXPXnt5SZN36lYGce