1 2 3
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/18 1:01 p.m.
singleslammer said:

It has the valve in the passenger rear with a breather on the front. Is leaving the front one on is likely good enough with just adding a breather to the rear?

It will greatly improve flow.  Right now you have a 5/16" hose and a valve with a ball in it.  If it is blowing enough pressure that one breather and a small PCV isn't enough, than adding a second (mostly free-flow) breather should help.

I suppose it is also worth a peek at how gunked up the main breather is.  If it is clogged, that doesn't indicate that the rings are good, it just is an indicator that the breather isn't enough for the blowby its getting.

To give you an idea of where you should be with regards to blowby:  The 350 in my boat uses a sealed crankcase with nothing but the PCV valve.  They do this to prevent escaping fumes in the closed engine room.  But marine engines frequently see very long periods of WOT and 5500 rpms without a breather, and they don't blow out dipsticks.  In fact, if I pull the oil filler cap off the valve cover at idle, I have to more or less pry it off because the idle vacuum is so high in the crankcase.  When I pull the cap off, the idle goes up.  But even at WOT, the single 5/16" hose is enough to vent any blowby gasses.

What we're suggesting here with your 460 is finding a solution to your symptom caused by blowby, not attacking the problem of blowby.  Having said that, poor ring seal isn't really a problem so to speak, it only has the effect of reducing power and increased emissions.  Its not like "YOU GOTTA FIX THIS NOW," its more like "keep driving it until it explodes."  No reason for major surgery as long as you're not fouling plugs or leaving smoke screens to let the cops know where you are.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/16/18 1:55 p.m.

Got it, thanks Curtis. The breather is new so not clogged. I think at this point I am going with sea foam and breather and run it. I will keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a junkyard 460

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
3/16/18 3:26 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I have bought several 460's on craigslist.  All were running engines.  The most I paid for any of them was $650, and that was because it came with the remnants of a 1968 Continental attached to it.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KsVl7DaYnJutLtUocHOoRd4XYPUDhDx99IJUU5HkHPARZpD6ovjIPlBpYlnRTigh