1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/15/13 9:53 a.m.

Ford Atlas Truck

I like trucks. Always have, always will. They are useful, fun, and for the most part tough. I really like the new Atlas. Kind of like the Tonka Truck concept.

I think it is childish, immature, and makes me want to get out my hot wheels, load them in the back drive through a brick wall and play in the rocks.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/15/13 10:11 a.m.

Looks like the future in styling for the F150.....oddly enough, I think it looks better than the current F150

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/15/13 10:15 a.m.

Flared nostrils in the grille eh? Interesting choice.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/15/13 10:58 a.m.

I like it all, except for the here-piggy-piggy nose, I mean come on, we know trucks are pigs, but do you have to design around that literally? Ok I also have a problem with all the underglow, I mean really?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/13 11:06 a.m.

What's funny is how the manufacturers advertise thrashing forty-thousand dollar trucks. If I'm going to do the Rubicon, it's going to be in a super-capable 4-wheeler, or one that's so beat that I won't care when I highside it. Not some pretty-boy truck like the Atlas. It's kinda like running tracks in a brand-new 3-series. I'd rather be in an e30 when I hit that coolant spill.....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/15/13 11:13 a.m.

Tie some horns too the hood and its a bull.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/15/13 11:14 a.m.

I thought they had a super light concept truck that was 700 lbs lighter or something? Is this it?

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
1/15/13 11:23 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Tie some horns too the hood and its a bull.

Don't forget these.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
1/15/13 11:32 a.m.
kreb wrote: What's funny is how the manufacturers advertise thrashing forty-thousand dollar trucks. If I'm going to do the Rubicon, it's going to be in a super-capable 4-wheeler, or one that's so beat that I won't care when I highside it. Not some pretty-boy truck like the Atlas. It's kinda like running tracks in a brand-new 3-series. I'd rather be in an e30 when I hit that coolant spill.....

Thankfully, roughly 2M people annually disagree with you. At least to the point of buying new full sized pick ups a year.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/13 11:36 a.m.

Styling's too Tonka-ish for me, much like the H2 and H3 it screams "Vroom vroom here comes the huge manchild!" Might be OK for an offroad toy, but not on the street...

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/15/13 11:37 a.m.

But alfadriver most trucks aren't $40k. My FX2 definitely wasn't, you ought to know that.

I'm with yamaha and don't see anything special with the Atlas, it just looks like a logical next year's F150.

I spend most of my time behind the wheel in a truck and hardly notice it's a truck. It feels and handles like a car but hauls like a truck when I need it. A far cry from my 1967 Dodge PU.

AND I get 20+ mpgs in mixed hwy/city driving with a V8.

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/15/13 11:44 a.m.
fastEddie wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Tie some horns too the hood and its a bull.
Don't forget these.

diamond plate....nice

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/15/13 11:57 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: But alfadriver most trucks aren't $40k. My FX2 definitely wasn't, you ought to know that. I'm with yamaha and don't see anything special with the Atlas, it just looks like a logical next year's F150.

I don't think its next years, possibly 2015-16 if they use that styling. My future BIL bought a 2012 F150 for $33k out the door.....ecoboost, 4x4, crew cab, xlt package, and about every option aside from leather. Sticker price was 41k.

I considered purchasing an FX2 for myself with the 3.7 as just a commuter, but decided I liked not having a car payment looming over my head.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/15/13 11:58 a.m.

Needs 6 cyl diesel!

SCARRMRCC
SCARRMRCC New Reader
1/15/13 12:00 p.m.

When did ford hire Michael Bay to design their trucks?

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
1/15/13 12:04 p.m.

Concepts get watered down on their way to production. If Ford sticks w/ this (w/o too much dilution) it's a win.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
1/15/13 12:43 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: But alfadriver most trucks aren't $40k. My FX2 definitely wasn't, you ought to know that. I'm with yamaha and don't see anything special with the Atlas, it just looks like a logical next year's F150. I spend most of my time behind the wheel in a truck and hardly notice it's a truck. It feels and handles like a car but hauls like a truck when I need it. A far cry from my 1967 Dodge PU. AND I get 20+ mpgs in mixed hwy/city driving with a V8.

Still, the roughly 2M that are sold are ok with me. Especially the ones with the F on them.

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/15/13 3:51 p.m.

Ford trucks continued to dominate in 2012 – with F-Series America’s best-selling pickup for the 36th straight year and 31 consecutive years as America’s best-selling vehicle. Overall, 645,316 F-Series were sold, a 10 percent increase versus 2011. Total Ford brand truck sales – including Transit Connect and E-Series – were up 2 percent for the year at 829,477 vehicles sold.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/13 4:31 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I think it is childish, immature, and makes me want to get out my hot wheels, load them in the back drive through a brick wall and play in the rocks.

That deserves a "Say What?"

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
1/15/13 4:33 p.m.

Eco boost raptor version please

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
1/15/13 6:01 p.m.
Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
1/15/13 6:26 p.m.

Exactly but with a factory warranty, the nicer interior, the diff etc

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
1/15/13 6:36 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Ford trucks continued to dominate in 2012 – with F-Series America’s best-selling pickup for the 36th straight year and 31 consecutive years as America’s best-selling vehicle. Overall, 645,316 F-Series were sold, a 10 percent increase versus 2011. Total Ford brand truck sales – including Transit Connect and E-Series – were up 2 percent for the year at 829,477 vehicles sold.

That's not entirely true. GM has outsold Ford many times over the years

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/13 7:22 p.m.

Ford gets the bragging rights because they look at the number Chevy OR GMC sell, not a combined GM total.

Truck just looks like the current one with a new front clip. Why do fullsize trucks keep getting wider and taller? The part that does all the work, (the cargo box) stays the same. (or comicly shrinks on some 4 door trucks.)

If I can't put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back and close the tailgate, it's a toy..(I'll excuse compact trucks from that requirement...) Yes, I know that's what most people want....

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
1/15/13 9:25 p.m.

Worse, the cargo box keeps getting higher and taller sides so it's all but impossible to load from the side or without a step ladder. Heck I think the F150 even comes with a fold out ladder in the tail gate.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EzaId55QM1opciGdWeLWg1FSxydxG1nAX7B1D34F49ZEzMTGu77TVrY6miPvBaE0