1 2
collinskl1
collinskl1 Reader
10/25/19 11:54 a.m.

I ran Bridgestone RE71Rs on my car in the 255/35R18 variety. Apparently people are shoehorning 275s onto 8" wide wheels now. Some people prefer the BFG Rival.

But can confirm - car is much better to autocross with "real" tires.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/25/19 1:09 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I am genuinely curious.  All my experience with sliding rear and all wheel drive cars says, to stop sliding, apply power, which shifts load to the rear and straightens the car out.

 

Except for that one rear drive converted Impreza, which mostly sucked because applying power did make it spin, which meant you could not enter corners with any aggression.

? If your wheels are already spinning, applying power rarely makes them stop spinning.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/25/19 2:26 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Even with those moved goalposts, we aren't necessarily concerned about the tires "not spinning" so much as "gripping harder".  Traction is an interesting concept that requires a slip angle or a slip ratio in order to function, and the amount of vertical load on the tire also affects it.  Putting more vertical load on the tire gives it more grip.

 

A beautiful example is old 911s, which want to swing like a hammer unless you applied even more power to clamp the rear end down.  Unless you gut-check and lift, and back the car off into the woods at high speed.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/25/19 4:08 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Even with those moved goalposts, we aren't necessarily concerned about the tires "not spinning" so much as "gripping harder".  Traction is an interesting concept that requires a slip angle or a slip ratio in order to function, and the amount of vertical load on the tire also affects it.  Putting more vertical load on the tire gives it more grip.

 

A beautiful example is old 911s, which want to swing like a hammer unless you applied even more power to clamp the rear end down.  Unless you gut-check and lift, and back the car off into the woods at high speed.

Same works for motorcycles. The saying was "95% of the time more throttle is the answer, 5% of the time it ends the suspense."

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/25/19 5:24 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
 

? If your wheels are already spinning, applying power rarely makes them stop spinning.

He said "sliding", as in drifting, not spinning as in a burnout.  In which case, lack of traction in the rear while turning, can be solved by more power in some circumstances. The Corvair is essentially "steer by throttle".  Want more turn, let off the throttle, need more slide, get on the throttle.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/25/19 7:37 p.m.
aircooled said:
ProDarwin said:
 

? If your wheels are already spinning, applying power rarely makes them stop spinning.

He said "sliding", as in drifting, not spinning as in a burnout.  In which case, lack of traction in the rear while turning, can be solved by more power in some circumstances. The Corvair is essentially "steer by throttle".  Want more turn, let off the throttle, need more slide, get on the throttle.

I think we are just talking about different things.  My original statement was that with an STi if you lay on the throttle the rear end will step out.  As in under power/spinning the tires, not "sliding"

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
NVvJ96RUQ5r6sW1Bx039d7TcSnqu9Sw3UIb8Vj3KJmD8yTyupKeSWYqm4t2jg0nh