1 2
RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
4/1/20 8:46 a.m.

Push it out to the street, not your problem anymore. 

Opti
Opti Dork
4/1/20 8:46 a.m.

Ive had this happen a bunch at my old shop. Big shop, in a bad area, with a huge parking lot. We would condemn one and they would just abandon it, or sometimes they would just show up over night. We called them tombstones

In TX I could fill out an abandoned vehicle form and send a couple dollars to the state. They would try to contact the owners and after a certain period they would send me a scrap title. It was a title but not a normal one, I could just sell the car to a scrapyard or for parts.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/1/20 10:03 a.m.

Looks like a contender for the next county fair demolition derby. No one's going to care about its origins.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/1/20 10:46 a.m.

Are you open to chaining it to a truck and dragging it onto public property so the cops take it to impound? It's definitely not worth getting the title for.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/1/20 10:52 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Are you open to chaining it to a truck and dragging it onto public property so the cops take it to impound? It's definitely not worth getting the title for.

We thought about it but since we called the cops they have the VIN and us.  

there is a drop off area for railroads cars and we laughed if it got pushed onto the tracks how fast would somebody show up?  

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/1/20 11:08 a.m.

Looks more like a Fission than a Fusion.  Wow at the rust.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
4/1/20 12:12 p.m.

I have been told that if you take it to the junkyard with the roof cut off, they will take it without a title.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 12:12 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Knurled. said:

That is because things don't rust all that bad in Michigan.  Too cold for chemical reactions and you guys aren't so crazy about salting every time it rains below 40 degrees.

Huh? Have you BEEN to Michigan? We salt the ever-loving crap out of our roads and have the rusty cars to prove it. smiley

I was merely commenting that I've never seen a Fusion with that much rust. Plenty of other cars, but not those.

Yes, I bought my Volvo from north of Detroit and it had zero rust on it, like even the FU ball joint nuts zipped off.  I bought my last VW from there (an '86 Quantum, in 2009) and it looked incredible until I drove it in Cleveland for three or four years.  My friend picked up a rust free RX-7 from Grand Rapids.  When I go to rallycrosses, people drive old stuff like EG Civics that they say they bought for $500 and they look awesome.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/1/20 12:29 p.m.

Run the VIN to see what engine is in it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/20 12:34 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Yes, I bought my Volvo from north of Detroit and it had zero rust on it, like even the FU ball joint nuts zipped off.  I bought my last VW from there (an '86 Quantum, in 2009) and it looked incredible until I drove it in Cleveland for three or four years.  My friend picked up a rust free RX-7 from Grand Rapids.  When I go to rallycrosses, people drive old stuff like EG Civics that they say they bought for $500 and they look awesome

Volvos seem to have good corrosion resistance in general, but I have no explanation for the others. I don't see rust-free cars that old here unless they are special cars that got stored in winter, or they were transported from other states. Though, I will say that cars from the west side of the state tend to be better, because they use more sand than salt on the roads over there. But the Detroit area salts like crazy. Hell, the city is built on a salt mine.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I mean when I had to pull the trans out, all the fasteners were CLEAN.  Normally on a 12 year old car you need to heat most things with a torch, or just cut and replace.  Even the stabilizer link nuts zipped right off!  That doesn't happen on two year old cars let alone twelve.

Tom_Spangler
4/1/20 1:05 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I mean when I had to pull the trans out, all the fasteners were CLEAN.  Normally on a 12 year old car you need to heat most things with a torch, or just cut and replace.  Even the stabilizer link nuts zipped right off!  That doesn't happen on two year old cars let alone twelve.

That has... not been my experience. I have a legacy of broken saw blades and empty MAPP bottles to show for it.

_
_ Dork
4/1/20 2:33 p.m.

Great news! That 2.5 engine is exactly what all NC Miata owners jizz their pants for. Don't steal the car, steal the engine. Profit. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/1/20 2:42 p.m.

I'll get the VIN tomorrow.  

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
4/1/20 2:52 p.m.

Had a car show up in the lot of my previous employer once. 

Same story, cops not interested.

Boss went out with a fork lift and moved it down the block in front of some vacant lots.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 6:43 p.m.
_ said:

Great news! That 2.5 engine is exactly what all NC Miata owners jizz their pants for. Don't steal the car, steal the engine. Profit. 

It could be a FWD 3.7- AKA, the worst engine to put in a Mazda. 

_
_ Dork
4/1/20 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

That is true. I forgot that poor car got saddled with that engine also

Tom_Spangler
4/1/20 7:54 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
_ said:

It could be a FWD 3.7- AKA, the worst engine to put in a Mazda. 

The V6 was a 3.0 in that generation, unless it was the AWD Fusion Sport, which got the 3.5 and came along in 2010 or so. Newer than the car in the picture.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/2/20 10:04 p.m.

Decided VIN.  

2.3 liter, 4 banger, automatic 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gnpVkBkrMGwGQ8FQuu4Jzniyww3lBtd2gPK48cScewP5PmBdXqzvuDtfJSjjkE3i