boofighter
boofighter HalfDork
7/19/08 11:32 a.m.

this might have been talked about on the old board, but i was wondering if any one has taken a ford fusion out on a auto cross course? my wife is expecting our first baby and we need a new car. i live in edmonton and we get a fair bit of snow and so i am looking at a car with awd. the two that i have narrowed it down to are a bit opposite. option (a) the awd ford fusion, a lease return 2007 fully loaded runs around 19k with about 20,000 km on the clock. option (b) the new pontiac vibe awd. the one i want is around 25k. just wondering what you guys and gals think.

joshx99
joshx99 New Reader
7/19/08 11:55 a.m.

Aren't the AWD Fusions only available with an automatic transmission?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/19/08 1:12 p.m.

ordanarily I tell my friends and family not to waste money on awd, and to buy real snow tires instead... that advice may be less valid in the great white north though...

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
7/19/08 1:35 p.m.

I am fairly sure that it shares a platform with the mazda 6, so i don't think it would be the worst car for AutoX.

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
7/19/08 3:24 p.m.

I've used a rental Mercury Milan 4 cylinder auto for atuocross once when I was out of town in AZ. I was impressed with it although being auto really blew getting a quick start. But the handling was good.

I'm from MI and believe for snow, snow tires >>>> all season tires FWD >>> RWD AWD > FWD

AWD does not prevent you from sliding off the road but it may help you get back on if you have snow tires.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/19/08 6:39 p.m.

How 'bout a lease return wrangler unlimited, those go for 20K, and use it to tow your track car...J/K

back to the original question, how is it to AutoX an AWD Vibe, and how well do the different cars fit you and your growing family?

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/19/08 8:44 p.m.

An AWD Vibe will still deliver fuel ecomony. The V6 AWD Fusion will not.

boofighter
boofighter HalfDork
7/20/08 1:38 a.m.

i know that awd drive is not the end all and be all of the traction issue. i have had a set of winter rims with blizzaks on them for the past few years. the awd is for getting away from stop lights and for traveling down streets that have not been plowed for months. for me the best option would be the awd and a set of good winter tires.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/20/08 4:33 a.m.

Since the Fusion is AWD with a V6 and automatic, and the Vibe could possibly be AWD with a 4 cylinder and manual or auto (tho I think it's auto only, too) with the price of gas...I'd go with the Vibe.

boofighter
boofighter HalfDork
7/20/08 9:13 a.m.

the vibe will only come with a four speed auto when you option the awd, the fusion has a six speed auto.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/20/08 9:54 a.m.

awd v6 fusion will struggle to get 21mpg highway. Atleast in the hands of my parents friends it does. They are happy they have a vehicle that gets such good gas mileage.

I think they are berkeley tards and tell them so every chance I get.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/20/08 3:58 p.m.

I can't imagine autocrossing a Fusion or a Milan, but I just saw a Lincoln Mark VIII at the SCCA event today so what do I know. The Fusion is a nice car. One of my carpool friends drives one, and I was impressed with the interior finish and the overall feel of the car. They are sharp looking, too. I've driven a Vibe manual though and I can say that it was definitely a lot of fun to drive.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/20/08 4:03 p.m.

Source www.fueleconomy.gov

2009 Fusion AWD: 17/20/25

2009 Vibe AWD w/24L: 21/24/29

2008 Vibe AWD w/1.8L: 25/27/31

I think the 2008 Vibe is a better choice than the 2009 which just got heavy.

Other AWD choices may be: Ford Five Hundred/Taurus AWD

Suzuki SX4

Anything Subaru

Toyota Rav4

Honda CRV

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
7/20/08 7:37 p.m.

Resale on Vibes is poor

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/20/08 7:39 p.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: Resale on Vibes is poor

and it's going to be so much better on a ford.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/20/08 8:12 p.m.

All the more reason to buy a used one. Best would likely be a 3 year old version that has been treated well.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
7/20/08 8:45 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
All the more reason to buy a used one. Best would likely be a 3 year old version that has been treated well.

interesting logic.

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
7/20/08 8:51 p.m.

Get Sx4 with 5 speed manual. Good car for the money. I did some promo work for Suzuki and many people were shocked that a fully loaded Sx4 goes for only $17k us.

boofighter
boofighter HalfDork
7/22/08 2:20 p.m.

thanks for all the responses, i am still working on this and i will let you guys and gals know the out come when i bring the car home. which ever that car may be.

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
7/22/08 2:28 p.m.

You guys are missing the most important part here:

boofighter wrote: my wife is expecting our first baby and we need a new car.

My advice - if you haven't already, purchase the rear-facing car seat the child will be using, then try to install it in the vehicles you are considering. You will figure out very, very quickly which ones are simply too small. Also consider the amount of "stuff" you have to haul around with a small child. Then, go find a 3-year-old Odyssey, get some snows and be done with it.

Scott

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/22/08 2:36 p.m.

That's because it's a Pontiac. Now, if it was a Toyota, resale would be great.

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
7/22/08 2:54 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
That's because it's a Pontiac. Now, if it was a Toyota, resale would be great.

LOL!

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/22/08 10:51 p.m.

poor resale is great for buying used, but it bites you in the a$$ when it comes to an insurance claime

btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/23/08 9:29 a.m.

I just bought a vibe to haul the kids around. Mine just turned three and five, so they haven't been rear facing in a while. It definitely doesn't have the room inside our Mountaineer had, but it seems to be OK. I think the rear facing seat would fit on the passengers side. Here in TX the Matrix and Vibe bring the same money.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XeiItrLNkp4zIuW5pRp8w3q3FpixBrATinK7U0SOIJyBhdCJQj5KMS2KJn00YCxa