1 2 3
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/17 6:18 p.m.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-says-fiesta-wont-return-for-the-2018-model-year-97094.html

RIP Fiesta and FiST. IIRC that leaves just the Fit, Yaris, and Spark since chevy is killing the sonic, Mazda dropped the 2 and Mitsubishi is circling the drain like always.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
7/23/17 6:29 p.m.

That's too bad. But I didn't buy one so I guess I can't complain. These cars are pretty small... It's easy to move to the Focus or Mazda3 for not much more and get a fair increase in space and pace.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
7/23/17 6:33 p.m.

Gas is too cheap.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/23/17 6:39 p.m.

More like profit is too small when compared to trucks and suvs.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
7/23/17 6:47 p.m.

That's sad, my wife had one for a couple of years, the gas mileage was amazing, but like said above, people don't really care too much about that now. Like also state above my focus was less than the fiesta, both new, so yeah. I really wish we had gotten the 3 door.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
7/23/17 7:01 p.m.

Unfortunate. Fun little car.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/23/17 7:32 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: That's sad, my wife had one for a couple of years, the gas mileage was amazing, but like said above, people don't really care too much about that now. Like also state above my focus was less than the fiesta, both new, so yeah. I really wish we had gotten the 3 door.

Actually, having had a '14 Fiesta and now a '17 Focus, I disagree. I get slightly better mileage with the Focus- the Fiesta was just not nearly what I hoped.

For the US, there's not much reason for a small car, and the Focus is pretty much as good for mileage, so it's natural that the Fiesta sells so little.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
7/23/17 7:41 p.m.

I love my '17 ecoboost hatch with heated seats. Only thing I wish it had was a "scan" button for the radio. While I like the look of a 3 door more, 2 door cars are a pain in parking lots.

Overboost in 4th makes it a slicer & dicer on the interstate.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/17 7:42 p.m.

I wonder if this is CAFE related. Since the Focus and other models now get better mileage they don't need the Fiesta to prop up overall averages.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/17 7:49 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-says-fiesta-wont-return-for-the-2018-model-year-97094.html RIP Fiesta and FiST. IIRC that leaves just the Fit, Yaris, and Spark since chevy is killing the sonic, Mazda dropped the 2 and Mitsubishi is circling the drain like always.

The Sonic is NOT a very small car. Pictures hide its bulk well, but in person, yow!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/17 7:50 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
nepa03focus wrote: That's sad, my wife had one for a couple of years, the gas mileage was amazing, but like said above, people don't really care too much about that now. Like also state above my focus was less than the fiesta, both new, so yeah. I really wish we had gotten the 3 door.
Actually, having had a '14 Fiesta and now a '17 Focus, I disagree. I get slightly better mileage with the Focus- the Fiesta was just not nearly what I hoped. For the US, there's not much reason for a small car, and the Focus is pretty much as good for mileage, so it's natural that the Fiesta sells so little.

Kind of this.

A friend bought a manual trans Fiesta sedan, a year later another friend bought a 2.0/6sp Focus sedan, and the cars were about the same price and got about the same fuel economy.

MrChaos
7/23/17 7:50 p.m.
etifosi wrote: I love my '17 ecoboost hatch with heated seats. Only thing I wish it had was a "scan" button for the radio. While I like the look of a 3 door more, 2 door cars are a pain in parking lots. Overboost in 4th makes it a slicer & dicer on the interstate.

I prefer the 2nd gear 30-62 on ramp pull in mine.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
7/23/17 9:09 p.m.

Funny, when we bought our Fit back in 2008, the Yaris was really the only competition. Looks like we're back to that, 10 years later.

I think the segment could only support so many models.

MrChaos
7/23/17 9:25 p.m.
Erich wrote: Funny, when we bought our Fit back in 2008, the Yaris was really the only competition. Looks like we're back to that, 10 years later. I think the segment could only support so many models.

And the Fit spanks most of them

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
7/23/17 9:36 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: And the Fit spanks most of them

If only it wasn't running 4k RPM @ 80MPH, I'd have bought one by now. It sounds so pained on the freeway.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/17 9:40 p.m.

Chevy is dropping the Sonic but keeping the Spark? Thats odd. I see Sonics all over the place but few Sparks. I prefer the Fiesta over the Focus, but can't stand the inside of either.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/23/17 9:53 p.m.
Mitsubishi is circling the drain like always.

Mitsubishi is doing fine, and they sell WAYYYY more Outlander Sports than they do Mirages.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/24/17 1:55 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I'm going to bet that has 100% to do with the mirage only having a whopping 78hp.

I don't even think it's a bad looking little car, and the sedan version actually looks nice to me. But even at 2100 pounds you can't make up for that. If they kicked it up to like 100 or even just offered different engines than the little turdy 3 cylinder maybe people would buy it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/24/17 6:50 a.m.
GTwannaB wrote: I wonder if this is CAFE related. Since the Focus and other models now get better mileage they don't need the Fiesta to prop up overall averages.

Other than the fact that the Fiesta has to stand on it's own for a specific fuel economy target, no, what most here think of CAFE isn't the reason. The rules changed a lot a few years ago, and it's not a fleet average anymore, but individual targets based on the size of the car.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
7/24/17 7:16 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Chevy is dropping the Sonic but keeping the Spark? Thats odd. I see Sonics all over the place but few Sparks. I prefer the Fiesta over the Focus, but can't stand the inside of either.

The Sonic is assembled at the Lake Orion plant and is taking up production capacity. GM can utilize the plant to make higher margin vehicles, or shutter it completely. The Spark is a rebadged Daewoo and they will simply import enough units to meet whatever demand there is. Neither sells at the kind of demand GM wants. Sonic sales are down to the 2,000 units per month range and have been dropping for four years. It's just not sustainable.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
7/24/17 7:22 a.m.

Kia/Hyundai still makes cars for that segment but it appears that lower trim level hatches aren't available with a stick any longer. You can get a pizza delivery spec sedan though (yuck).

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/24/17 7:27 a.m.

The Sonic first was a 2012 model. It made it for 5 years. No real surprise that it's popularity is waning. Seems right for a refresh or replace. Since that low end of the market is so crowded looks like the choice was to retire.

We have talked before about how cheap used Fiesta sedans are with manual transmissions. I will bet that once the model is no longer a "current model" the prices will fall even harder. So, super bargains to be had on used Fiestas for the next couple of years.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/24/17 7:36 a.m.

Also, isn't the Chevy Trax just a lifted Sonic? How are Trax sales?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/17 7:38 a.m.

That's sad, but even a FiST lover like myself was not to thrilled about a 3cyl. I am sure it was great on paper and probably performed very well, but there was just something wrong about a 3cyl. Call me old (I am) but I would not have bought one.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/24/17 9:09 a.m.

I spend my summers in Greece, where cars like the Fiesta ST make perfect sense. Tight, twisty, narrow mountain roads that you can drive as quickly as you're comfortable with. Light, nimble, short-wheelbase cars with manual transmissions and modest power are terrific fun.

You don't need more than 100 hp when you're whipping around switchbacks and can't go faster than maybe 70-80 km/hr anyway. Top speed is irrelevant; short gearing is a bonus.

But in the USA? Most of my driving here is plodding along in dense traffic in a straight line on multi-lane interstate highways at 55-75 mph. Forget about having fun on the ramps: there's an army of SUV drones driving 15 mph around each of them. If you're not on the highway, you're in town with a strict 25 mph limit and a traffic cop hiding every 2 blocks waiting to ticket you for going 5 mph over.

What's the point of a true, European-style hot hatch in that setting?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IBlVIPzXe2C970T9Gg6GQeaoXJiRiVFcohH7OjhYYwMuxMHt2bgvKVBvcVU3pYqJ