1 2
drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
12/16/17 9:32 a.m.

The first gen cop spec cars had a different grill vs the SHO and non SHO civilian Taurus. Don't recall any engine differences.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/16/17 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Yea, there were DN5 cop cars,  Can't remember how i got hold of one for a few days.  Other than the lack of power, it drove very much like a SHO.  And for some reasons, people thought it was an undercover cop car, so I got a pretty clear left lane on my drive home.

The one I had was a second gen DN5- the one introduced in 92 or 93 (can't remember the year).

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
12/16/17 10:40 a.m.

If I'm not mistaken, cop Tauruses got 3.8 liter 12 valve engines which were known to blow head gaskets. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/17 12:37 p.m.

I've looked at the SVT Contours when they come up on CL locally. They're usually really cheap. My impression from looking at some search results, is that the wiring insulation breaks down, and the wiring harness for these is long since NLA. 

There may be something to that, since the posted listings are often for non-running cars that "just need a few wires repaired," or something of that nature. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/17/17 10:06 p.m.

Driving a Plymouth Acclaim rental for a week because the SHO you are making payments on is in the shop is a less-than-ideal situation.  

You're right. The proper version of that car to replace your SHO experience would have been the same-year Spirit R/T, which was actually faster and better handling than the SHO.  cheeky

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
12/17/17 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Oh it wasn’t a SHO. It was a base model. I would’ve had more respect for a SHo. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vkI8xnn9mjyU6bks1hoFLt1T3EtlhjGJza5MioO0IyM4NHhQ9Vv9dN56iByynqCF