Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/21 11:18 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Ugh.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
2/5/21 11:25 a.m.

First, why is the maverick a truck now?

Second, when does the pinto truck come out?

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/5/21 11:27 a.m.

Shavarsh said:

why is the maverick a truck now?

I suppose I should take solace in knowing they didn't desecrate the Ranchero namplate with this abomination.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/5/21 11:58 a.m.

Keep the back on it and give us  a Honda Element replacement!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/21 12:09 p.m.
Shavarsh said:

First, why is the maverick a truck now?

It's like a 2/3rds scale Ranger. Why couldn't they revive the Courier nameplate for North America? It exists in Brazil as a Fiesta-based open bed utility:

A modern version of this with a manual and a 1.5 or 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder would be awesome. I'd get rid of my single cab short bed, too big full-size truck for this in a heartbeat.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/5/21 3:29 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

While I agree with you and I'm a fan of smaller vehicles, the cab on that is too small to sell to the average American. Brazilians are noticeably smaller. As for the Maverick, I think it will sell reasonably well. Some people (me!) want smaller SUVs, cars and trucks. I find the new Bronco Sport appealing, for example.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Yeah, the Courier would be absolutely tiny in the American (and Canadian) market.

I hear you on smaller SUVs too. I'd like to get another 4wd SUV since I miss my Wrangler a lot. I keep cruising Craigslist for a decent Tracker/Sidekick/Raider/Trooper but they seem to be pretty thin on the ground now.

I will admit to being a Bronco reservation holder. I want a base 2 door with a manual.

For what I wouldn't give for a Suzuki Jimny though smiley

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/5/21 5:54 p.m.
aircooled said:

Well, to be realistic, the Ranger isn't exactly small anymore.  This seems a bit like the every growing Civic situation.  It eventually got so giant, they had to introduce another model so they could make a smaller car again.

I would be very surprised to see almost any new 2 door non-sportscars these days, but a truck this small would look pretty silly as a 4 door, and would have very little bed.  The door on the cover might just be more deception to make it look like a van.

As noted though, a truck this size does do about 95% of what a full size pickup will do if you are not heavy into towing.

Having daily'd everything form a Rampage to a Freightliner FL 50, I'll agree to about 75%, and then there's the towing difference. But almost any modern size car will do most of what the Rampage would do (moving something tall, that can not be laid down, being a huge difference)

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/5/21 6:06 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

This is why people buy half ton pick up trucks with V8s and towing capacities they don't need.  You can't put a bicycle in the bed of that thing. 2 bales of hay? Nope. It's an open air trunk. 

These won't sell then America keeps buying halftons and manufacturers again say America doesnt want a small truck although they are building something without listening to what people actually want a truck for.. 

Make a modern 620 long bed that is easy to load and you can put some plywood and dirtbikes in it. Make a 4 door one. Make a 4wd one that is only slightly taller. Do whatever but dont change the shape or usefullness of this design.

I agree completely. I need a truck to do truck things. I don't even consider short bed trucks to be useful as a truck. OK as a compromise, but I don't need a "open air trunk." That said, I've only bought a couple new vehicles, so I'm not really part of the demographic they are trying to reach!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/5/21 6:14 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

It's like a 2/3rds scale Ranger. Why couldn't they revive the Courier nameplate for North America? It exists in Brazil as a Fiesta-based open bed utility:

A modern version of this with a manual and a 1.5 or 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder would be awesome. I'd get rid of my single cab short bed, too big full-size truck for this in a heartbeat.

If i was still 130 lb. young'un, that would be perfect. Most of us 'mericans are a bit to hefty for that, though. I think same concept on next larger platform would do well here though.

Side note... the courier name was "revived" for the early ford/mazda truck - had been used on 50's sedan deliveries.

Courier would prolly be accepted better than ranchero, though. Maverick should have been on a truck all along, not the psudo-econo malaise product it ended up being.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/5/21 6:28 p.m.

The single-cab 2/3 Ranger would be very useful for a lot of (particularly urban) scenarios. I used to work out of small trucks like that, but I really appreciated the ones with some behind-the -seat storage space. A craftsman can stick a bunch of tools, rain gear, personal stuff and such out of the weather without having to loose bed space with built-in boxes. It's also nice to be able to recline a bit. 

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/5/21 9:29 p.m.

While the Maverick may not be what we are looking for there is a chance the general public might want it.  Then again, the Ridgeline hasn't exactly been a smash hit.  It is the perfect type of truck for some people, but it seems many truck drivers want that huge imposing vehicle even if they don't need the weight and towing capacity.  Trucks have become luxury sedans with far more capability than most will ever use.

The funny thing is a single cab ranger does exist in other parts of the world.  I doubt we'll ever see it in the US though.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/21 7:21 a.m.

I saw my first new ridgeline in person yesterday and I really REALLY liked it!!  It has good looks (subjective I know) and it is a size that would fit my needs very well.  I don't know if these will be something that could be had as an off lease purchase. I wonder what there values will be like used.  I am now going to go look and see what they are selling for new. Who knows. With them not selling well maybe deals can be had. 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/6/21 8:12 a.m.

Preface that I have no idea about this vehicle...

But if there was an actual 2/3 Ranger sold, it would be very useful to us.  Especially if it had 4 doors was as comfortable and efficient as an Escape.  A 4 door truck would be slightly more useful to us than the Escape we use.  One should note that the powertrain choices are the same as the Escape.

For some reason, that name does not make sense.  There's currently an engine named that.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/6/21 8:18 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

Isn't the Bronco Sport built on the same platform as the Escape, too? Might the new small truck be akin to a Bronco Sport with the roof removed? I wonder if the Maverick will have a live axle or IRS.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/6/21 9:21 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

Isn't the Bronco Sport built on the same platform as the Escape, too? Might the new small truck be akin to a Bronco Sport with the roof removed? I wonder if the Maverick will have a live axle or IRS.

My bet is IRS. If they're building it as a "city truck" or as a "suburban utility vehicle" the goal will be ride comfort. If it's going to have a lowish tow rating I don't see any advantage to a live axle, personally. Even most SUVs (including ones that are pretty good offroad) these days are going to IRS. My guess is IRS is also cheaper to make. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/6/21 9:34 a.m.

Judging by those stampings that's going to be a rear twist beam. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/6/21 11:31 a.m.

A quick bit of research says it will likely be based on a stretched version of the Bronco Sport chassis and could share parts from the B pillar forward but have a different front end. It's being built in the same Mexico factory.  Estimates put the wheelbase about 8" longer with longer rear overhang based on the camo test mules spotted. 

anything smaller than that and/or single cab is only going to be a fleet vehicle, they wouldn't sell enough to the public to matter. Then it would have to have a use case that the small vans don't, and I doubt that exists in big enough numbers to be profitable. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/21 1:46 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Fleet vehicles are where Ford actually makes money, no?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/6/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

They may not make money on fleet sales, but they could help on the fixed costs and continuing costs such as parts. The strategy would help make the non fleet sales more of a profit centre.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/21 3:10 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

For some reason, that name does not make sense.

I won't put 100% confidence in the rumors, leaks, and spy photos, but if it isn't called Maverick I'd say the smoke and mirrors game is pretty strong over at https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l3RJC3kNDLdACzQ9HPLSo1EW5J31WxaEi7r1wlloTF6tXKE8ixGeAUVtVfM3PaOc