1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
5/31/12 11:30 p.m.

It seems like the old 5.0 and the new one sound awesome, whilst the LS1 has kind of flat truck/tractor sound to it.

Is that down to the firing order? Is there anyway to make an LS1 sound less like a tractor?

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
6/1/12 12:00 a.m.

Firing order is a big factor. You can do a 4-7 cam which changes the firing order to a more windsor-like state, but there are so many factors that affect exhaust sound.

There are few things (to me) that sound better than a 302W (classic 5.0) with a Flowmaster exhaust kit. But if you put those same flowmaster cans on a chevy it won't sound the same. Port shape, exhaust valve angle, the bends in the exhaust tubing to accommodate the chassis, moon phase, etc all affect how it sounds.

Think about a 350Z or G35. They have such a distinctive growl, but you can't duplicate it by putting a 350Z muffler on a 280Z.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/1/12 12:35 a.m.

i think the LS engine has the 302HO/351W firing order, it's just that GM and Ford number the cylinders different.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/1/12 1:55 a.m.

Ya mean this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E9t6716Hks

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpU5KwMyKA

vs this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aAtK_jbLQ

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
6/1/12 2:01 a.m.

This is sure a nice sounding tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiWJNFdiw6U

skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
6/1/12 4:32 a.m.

Even with a homemade exhaust, the LSX sounds beastly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxqJIbI-8Vw

Will
Will Dork
6/1/12 6:05 a.m.

I sure like the sound of my old tractor.

Plowing the back 40

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
6/1/12 7:21 a.m.

Magnaflow's on LSx's rivals flow's on 302's IMO. Nothing sounds as flat and tractor-esque as the subie's boxer engine or an open downpipe'd Neon SRT-4.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
6/1/12 7:53 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: Firing order is a big factor. You can do a 4-7 cam which changes the firing order to a more windsor-like state, but there are so many factors that affect exhaust sound.

The 4-7 swap is for the old small block Chevy. Technically the LS already has the firing order that the 4-7 swap does to the old engine.

You can change the sound of the engine by how the headers pair the cylinders as well. My Camaro has 180 degree headers and the regular firing order and it sound completely different than a sbc with normal headers. Short video of how it sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnck2ITynk0&feature=youtu.be

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
6/1/12 8:27 a.m.

Just got through watching "truth in 24" I and II. I loved that you could tell without looking every time the audi would pass the 'Vette. So badass sounding. The yellow one linked above had me saying: "Yeah, bitches", every time it went by. Like "berkeley yeah, that was America passing you, bitches." With a little flame shot out the pipes to really drive the point home.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
6/1/12 8:30 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: There are few things (to me) that sound better than a 302W (classic 5.0) with a Flowmaster exhaust kit.

Amen brother. My first car was an '87 5.0 with nothing but Flowmasters. I would drive with the windows down in virtually any conditions, just to hear the exhaust.

And the new 5.0 motors sound incredible. In fact, I pulled up next to a guy in a new Mustang 5.0 at a stoplight recently, having tailed him for several miles, just to tell him how cool his car sounded. Turned out it was a custom exhaust, but, still, man, what a sound.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
6/1/12 9:11 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
curtis73 wrote: There are few things (to me) that sound better than a 302W (classic 5.0) with a Flowmaster exhaust kit.

Amen brother. My first car was an '87 5.0 with nothing but Flowmasters. I would drive with the windows down in virtually any conditions, just to hear the exhaust.

And the new 5.0 motors sound incredible. In fact, I pulled up next to a guy in a new Mustang 5.0 at a stoplight recently, having tailed him for several miles, just to tell him how cool his car sounded. Turned out it was a custom exhaust, but, still, man, what a sound.

That's what I mean, the LS1's just don't have "that" sound.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
6/1/12 10:15 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ariQVHjyMBY&feature=channel&list=UL

I can't help it, I'm a GM fanboi. Although there is a new Roush 5.0 that is absolutely mean sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAJfOqCqiE

Kinda like this but his has that gaudy body kit and roush wheels. I think it's called a 5xr? I guess being a hairdresser has it's perks.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
6/1/12 10:37 a.m.

Never really did care for the LSx sound. For whatever reason the Ford V8s just sound so much nicer.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
6/1/12 10:52 a.m.

I too like the sound of the Ford over the LS. Not that the LS sounds bad its just that the Ford sounds better.

alex
alex UltraDork
6/1/12 11:25 a.m.

Call me crazy, but for a street car, I really like an LS1 with a Borla catback. A little mean, but fairly refined at the same time.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
6/1/12 12:07 p.m.

I think the 2-valve modulars sound best, in my opinion. I like my Coyote V8, but it doesn't have that "liquid" sound that previous Mustang motors had.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/1/12 12:07 p.m.

If you guys think a 5.0 with Flows sounds great, try a mildly cammed up one with Spintechs! Truly awesome!

I dont mind the sound of my LS1 with 1 7/8" longtubes, 3" x pipe, no cats, and an SLP cat-back, but it doesnt sound as good as a 5.0 with Spintechs.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler HalfDork
6/1/12 12:10 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: If you guys think a 5.0 with Flows sounds great, try a mildly cammed up one with Spintechs! Truly awesome! I dont mind the sound of my LS1 with 1 7/8" longtubes, 3" x pipe, no cats, and an SLP cat-back, but it doesnt sound as good as a 5.0 with Spintechs.

+1 on the Spintechs. My last 5.0 had a Dr. Gas X-pipe with Spintechs and it sounded incredible, IMO.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
6/1/12 12:25 p.m.

I think I like the LSx with a single exhaust over duals. The 4.8 in the truck running a 3"ID Magnaflow catback sounds phenomenal to me.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/1/12 12:25 p.m.

I'll take an LS1, please and thank you.

The 4.6s and the 5.0 in the Foxbodys sound AWFUL to me. Horrible hollow sounding motors.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
6/1/12 12:28 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote:
curtis73 wrote: Firing order is a big factor. You can do a 4-7 cam which changes the firing order to a more windsor-like state, but there are so many factors that affect exhaust sound.

The 4-7 swap is for the old small block Chevy. Technically the LS already has the firing order that the 4-7 swap does to the old engine.

You can change the sound of the engine by how the headers pair the cylinders as well. My Camaro has 180 degree headers and the regular firing order and it sound completely different than a sbc with normal headers. Short video of how it sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnck2ITynk0&feature=youtu.be

I remember your Camaro from a different thread I created regarding exhaust sound. Your car sounds completely bad a$$. Love it.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
6/1/12 1:33 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'll take an LS1, please and thank you. The 4.6s and the 5.0 in the Foxbodys sound AWFUL to me. Horrible hollow sounding motors.

I don't like you anymore.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
6/1/12 3:40 p.m.

I've always liked the classic 5.0 sound, too. But all the CTS-Vs and Corvettes I've driven with LSx motors in them sound pretty awesome, too. In a different way. The Ford motors roar, and the LSx ones gurgle, kinda. Hard to explain. They also all have an RPM-dependent tapping going on...valves maybe? I dunno.

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
6/1/12 5:00 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: It seems like the old 5.0 and the new one sound awesome, whilst the LS1 has kind of flat truck/tractor sound to it. Is that down to the firing order? Is there anyway to make an LS1 sound less like a tractor?

i think the opposite. 5.0's sound like butt and all the same no matter what exhaust you put on them, and LS engines sound magical.

1 2
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
tglOwS9y6yru8A0cKi6U59tyHfJwHtSe