1 2 3 4 5
iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/16/19 5:32 p.m.

You might mention that this puts a negative effect on any future Ford products.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
9/16/19 5:45 p.m.

This is a thing. A family member is on his 2nd replacement 2.0T motor in his Edge. Luckily he has the 100K mi CPO warranty, but is justified in being leery of keeping the thing beyond that coverage.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/19 5:52 p.m.
iceracer said:

In reply to Tac1 :

Ford is the only company that used their own money , no tax payer money unlike the others.  

Not really. They mortgaged their properties and equipment in 2006 and cut labor costs. They asked for the gov't loans, not a bailout, so they could maintain cashflow and not be unfairly disadvantaged to the other companies that received a bailout. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/19 5:55 p.m.
GarageGorilla said:
alfadriver said:

The block is an emissions related item, it should be warranted to 80k miles (they are certified to 120 or 150k).  Make sure they are fully aware of that.  You can complain to the EPA if they don't replace it.

Read farther down the TSB, you'll see the same words being used.

Lol.

I thought you worked in the auto industry? Standard language in warranty guides makes the bolded statement laughably untrue.

Are you a guy that got banned from a place like Corner-carvers for being insufferable? Haven't you already had a time out here as well?

I'm sure anyone that's been here a long time knows I have my moments of douchebaggery, but I generally try to play around and be helpful. 

If you really don't like the content you see here to the point that you constantly post E36 M3 replies like this, why not just move on and find another place. I can assure you no one finds you edgy, funny, etc. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/19 6:04 p.m.
_ said:

Do you know who almost never has any problems with the main components of an engine? Nearly every Japanese company that has ever existed. 

Say what? RX-8 everything failed, Toyota 1ZZ timing failures and MR2 pre-cat, Honda lifters, Nissan VG heads...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/16/19 6:11 p.m.
z31maniac said:
iceracer said:

In reply to Tac1 :

Ford is the only company that used their own money , no tax payer money unlike the others.  

Not really. They mortgaged their properties and equipment in 2006 and cut labor costs. They asked for the gov't loans, not a bailout, so they could maintain cashflow and not be unfairly disadvantaged to the other companies that received a bailout. 

Those days sucked.  But Ford was in the red (on the overall balance sheet) when GM and Chrysler were not.  The loans were a substitute for banks so that customers could take out loans.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
9/16/19 6:12 p.m.

I’ve been wanting an ecoboost powered Fusion for a while. Or a FiST. This does not bode well for the cars lasting until I can afford one. And all the clean ZX2s are drying up. SVT Contours too. Come on Ford, don’t let me down. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/16/19 6:14 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

If it helps your worry- the engine in the FiST isn't the same family as the 2.0l.    

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/19 6:20 p.m.
Javelin said:
_ said:

Do you know who almost never has any problems with the main components of an engine? Nearly every Japanese company that has ever existed. 

Say what? RX-8 everything failed, Toyota 1ZZ timing failures and MR2 pre-cat, Honda lifters, Nissan VG heads...

Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 and 2.5L I4 heads

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/16/19 6:37 p.m.

Not this guy again.gif 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
9/16/19 7:26 p.m.

Toyota had problems with the heads on their V-6 motors if I recall.  They all cut corners where they think they can.  I seem to remember reading about problems with Ford I-4 motors in the base Focus and Fiesta, like engine failures.  I don't know if the ecoboost 4 is the same lineage or not.

Good luck with your problems, be nice until it is time to not be nice anymore.  Maybe point out that your are active on some gear head sites, please do not mention this one specifically.  I mention this because they want to keep bad news on the down low.  If you are just some guy, so what.  If you are some guy who has a gang of car guy type folks he communicates with regularly on the internet, they are likely to see it as a no bueno situation and feel more inclined to do the right thing.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
9/16/19 8:07 p.m.

While this blows... how much is a bare block that's still good?

I have little to no patience for most customer service and $1000 and a weekend to swap parts over would get you back on the road long enough to dump the car on someone else

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/19 8:12 p.m.
TurboFocus said:

I have little to no patience for most customer service and $1000 and a weekend to swap parts over would get you back on the road long enough to dump the car on someone else

Sure, assuming you want take a bath on the vehicle. Private individual or dealer is going smash the value of a "2" year old vehicle with no warranty because of mileage.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla Reader
9/16/19 8:29 p.m.
TurboFocus said:

I see what you’re getting at, but it would be easier to drop a motor in there. eBay has a low mileage <30k 2017 2.0 engine for 1550 shipped. I think a properly equipped home shop can get this dropped in in a weekend without too much fuss.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla Reader
9/16/19 8:29 p.m.
z31maniac said:
TurboFocus said:

Sure, assuming you want take a bath on the vehicle. Private individual or dealer is going smash the value of a "2" year old vehicle with no warranty because of mileage.

He’s saying he wants to acquire a shortblock and re-use his head and internals.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
9/16/19 8:45 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

What?  Bath?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/19 8:45 p.m.

Maybe they should have taken some of that sweet bailout candy and used it to design an engine block that doesn't fail.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
9/16/19 8:47 p.m.

In reply to GarageGorilla :

Even better, used low mileage motor is my vote. Assuming you have the tools required, if not.. my vote stands lol a growing a tool collection is super useful/nice imho

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla Reader
9/16/19 8:54 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla Reader
9/16/19 8:56 p.m.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/16/19 9:07 p.m.
GarageGorilla said:
TurboFocus said:

In reply to z31maniac :

What?  Bath?

This guy is clueless. His contribution to this thread has been a finger wagging post about etiquette and a wasted post about a concept that went over his head. The typical bandwidth thief that has caused internet forums to atrophy into limp dick circle jerks or knitting groups.

Have you ever contributed a meaningful word to any conversation in your entire miserable life? It is infact possible to state an issue with an idea and possibly even suggest an alternative line of thinking without resorting to this sort of childish blabbering. I mean you can't even put forth the effort to call us names individually. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/16/19 9:11 p.m.

The last Ford block I cracked was a 385 series 460. Ground it out, drilled the ends of the Crack, heated, welded, and slathered with JB 2 part for good measure. Still holding 2 years later *knock on wood*

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla Reader
9/16/19 9:15 p.m.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/19 9:17 p.m.
GarageGorilla said:
Daylan C said:
GarageGorilla said:
TurboFocus said:

In reply to z31maniac :

What?  Bath?

This guy is clueless. His contribution to this thread has been a finger wagging post about etiquette and a wasted post about a concept that went over his head. The typical bandwidth thief that has caused internet forums to atrophy into limp dick circle jerks or knitting groups.

Have you ever contributed a meaningful word to any conversation in your entire miserable life? It is infact possible to state an issue with an idea and possibly even suggest an alternative line of thinking without resorting to this sort of childish blabbering. I mean you can't even put forth the effort to call us names individually. 

Is this a serious post?

Well clearly none of yours are.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/16/19 9:19 p.m.
GarageGorilla said:
Appleseed said:

Maybe they should have taken some of that sweet bailout candy and used it to design an engine block that doesn't fail.

I gotta say Bro, the Coyote block first introduced around that era ~2009-2010 ish can take hellacious amounts of power before it fauls. Im pretty confident in the Eco 3.5 blocks as well. So I dont know if your comment is on the mark.

They sure as E36 M3 didn't use that amazing engineering for the water pumps in their 3.7

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u40jlsQpaKE2w4SRrpW2xs1jFG8ZKnVRBp1VR385VKanCQqJPKKpabcZtHJdsKnd