Javelin SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:23 p.m.

Look what we'll be able to buy second-hand in ~5 years for pennies!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/27/what-the-fashionable-detective-will-be-driving-this-fall/

That beastie is an extended G8-platform with a 6.0L LSx! Mmmmmmmmmmmm....

Bobzilla SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:24 p.m.

I want one so bad it hurts.

alfadriver SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Considering how popular the G8/GTO were, the demand for used ones will be, well, small. So you should be able to get one for a song.

Like sing to the detective....

mad_machine SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:30 p.m.

that looks damn good

Duke SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:30 p.m.

...except that word on the street is that these will be required to be crushed at the end of service, rather than sold to private hands.

mndsm SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:44 p.m.
Duke wrote: ...except that word on the street is that these will be required to be crushed at the end of service, rather than sold to private hands.

That's what i've heard, and it makes baby jesus cry. One thing I HAVE heard and I don't know if it's possible anymore is that you used to be able to flat our order a 9c1/p71 for civvy use, if you went to the dealer that handled the distro for interceptors in the area. I've seen it done a couple times with the panther platform in particular.... I wonder if it won't be possible again.

Bobzilla SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:51 p.m.

WHY!!!!!!! Finally something that the general makes that we want.... and we can't get it.

Javelin SuperDork
July 27, 2011 2:53 p.m.
Duke wrote: ...except that word on the street is that these will be required to be crushed at the end of service, rather than sold to private hands.

Unpossible. The Departments make money selling the old cruisers, and they know it. That's why the specially-built Robocop looking thing isn't selling. There's already Chargers hitting the blocks and the SHO doesn't have that restriction either. Heck, some dealers were selling them to civilians new! (Talk about a Golden Unicorn on that one)

Javelin SuperDork
July 27, 2011 3:11 p.m.

It is much, much larger than the W-Body Impala.

July 27, 2011 3:36 p.m.
mndsm wrote:

That's what i've heard, and it makes baby jesus cry. One thing I HAVE heard and I don't know if it's possible anymore is that you used to be able to flat our order a 9c1/p71 for civvy use, if you went to the dealer that handled the distro for interceptors in the area. I've seen it done a couple times with the panther platform in particular.... I wonder if it won't be possible again.

My dad has a friend who's son works for Ford. He was able to order civvy P71s through his son until the body style changed for 1998, then Ford put their foot down on civvy P71s and he could not get them anymore. BUT, he could order a Detective's Grand Marquis P71. So there was a loophole.

Now you can't order any civvy cop cars

Bobzilla SuperDork
July 27, 2011 3:39 p.m.

I want my 9C1 with an LSD and a supercharger.

Keith SuperDork
July 27, 2011 3:42 p.m.

Extended G8 platform - sounds like a Holden Caprice.

belteshazzar SuperDork
July 27, 2011 3:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

Unpossible. The Departments make money selling the old cruisers, and they know it. That's why the specially-built Robocop looking thing isn't selling. There's already Chargers hitting the blocks and the SHO doesn't have that restriction either. Heck, some dealers were selling them to civilians new! (Talk about a Golden Unicorn on that one)

yeah, count me in on the b.s. flag as well.

Javelin SuperDork
July 27, 2011 4:26 p.m.
Keith wrote: Extended G8 platform - sounds like a Holden Caprice.

That's cause that's what it is!

Javelin SuperDork
July 27, 2011 4:27 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I want my 9C1 with an LSD and a supercharger.

Yes, that. In Black. Park it next to my Impala SS and GNX in my dream GM garage.

Bobzilla SuperDork
July 27, 2011 4:33 p.m.

nah... white/silver are invisible to radar in a car like that. I'll take mine in white. Yes, I'm racist.

mndsm SuperDork
July 27, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Beige. Give me high school detective beige. and ALL the nitrous.

belteshazzar SuperDork
July 27, 2011 5:14 p.m.

i love how plain they look. besides not wanting a charger because of the endless stream of parts i seem to sell for them at work all day, theyre so attractive everybody else will want one too.

Conquest351 Reader
July 27, 2011 5:23 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Beige. Give me high school detective beige. and ALL the nitrous.

I laughed at this one!!

Osterkraut SuperDork
July 27, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Whoops!

I can see it happening too. The might of the EPA is a serious thing. Or, hell even UPS crushes all of it's brown trucks. I can easily see GM writing that into the contracts.

mw HalfDork
July 27, 2011 8:12 p.m.

I guess we'll have to steal them...

moparman76_69 New Reader
July 27, 2011 8:33 p.m.

If GM mandates crushing them instead of selling then they'll either have to make the price more than competitive with Dodge and Ford, or put a buy-back program in place for them.

Fit_Is_Slo Reader
July 27, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Well i hope the come to their senses its the only cool gm car right now

benzbaron Dork
July 27, 2011 11:38 p.m.

I want one, I'm not much interested in american cars other than big old 60s devilles but the GTO, G8, GXP really got my attention. I'd love one of those things, they really look nice. Hopefully they get released to the public, I would seriously consider one.

bravenrace SuperDork
July 28, 2011 6:13 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
Javelin wrote:

yeah, count me in on the b.s. flag as well.

Considering what they sell them for, do they really make much money on it? In any case, I'd personally rather have an SHO.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

10 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

10 hours ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

12 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

13 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

14 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

16 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
pjRXi1iDqHZMo9A6GrfnF58Rqv0az0PU