1 2 3 ... 99
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/30/20 1:08 p.m.

2021 is upon us and hopefully will be better than the dumpster fire that was 2020. This is a thread for discussion about the 2021 Formula 1 season, which starts in 80 days (so there's enough time to travel around the world once, assuming you are allowed to travel). I'll start the discussion. Mattia Binotto said that he expects Mick Schumacher to have a difficult first season in Formula 1 because his MO is to be kinda average in his first season of a series and only sort things out in his second season. If it were anybody else but Michaels son, I suspect a slow starter wouldn't get a chance in F1 but here we are. I think I know why Mick is a slow starter, based on my experience owning a race track and racing karts for years. In my experience, a successful race driver has two qualities in large but equal measure: Brains and Bravery.

Drivers who have more brains than bravery tend to start off slow and get faster as confidence builds. Drivers with more bravery than brains attempt things they don't have to skills to pull off and crash. Drivers with equal but average levels of both don't crash but they're not fast, either. The really quick drivers (the aliens) are both very smart and very brave, they attempt things in vehicles that they have the skills to pull off. I suspect that Mick is smarter than he is brave, which keeps him from crashing but also prevents him from getting up to speed quickly.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/30/20 1:49 p.m.

One of my least favorite things about 2020, apart from the obvious tragedy of the loss/injury to people, was missing USGP (and MotoGP) at COTA.  Can't wait to rectify those.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/30/20 2:57 p.m.

I'm interested in seeing how the teams deal with the updated rules- especially with the new floor rules.

As I've posted before, my gut suggests that the low rake cars will have an easier time with it.  Which is just Mercedes and the Point.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
12/30/20 3:17 p.m.

I am looking forward to how the continuing saga with the tires is going to play out.  Will the drivers adapt to what the manufactures request from the supplier.

A couple of them seem to figure this out.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/20 4:04 p.m.

I'm looking forward to McLaren. I want to see a win and some podiums. They're going the right direction.

I don't think Mercedes - specifically Lewis - will be unseated. He is not letting up.  Red Bull arguably has the most balanced driver pairing they've had for years - will they be allowed equality or will Perez immediately be ignored?

Ferrari will struggle again.

I expect Vettel to have trouble at Force Aston Racing but he should beat his teammate most weekends. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
12/31/20 11:08 a.m.
adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/20 11:13 a.m.

Shamelessly stolen from r/formuladank, Lewis's helmet for next season

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/31/20 1:30 p.m.

So the SkySports commentators will always be referring to him as Sir Lewis now - that will really drive the Lewis haters nuts.  I've been following his career since the karting days, always knew he was a very special talent.  Congratulations to him.  Edit:  I see he is the only person knighted this year.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/20 1:54 p.m.

McLaren and Red Bull will get race wins, but Merc still gets most of them. Sir Hamilton does great, but loses the WDC to Verstappen in a nail biter. Merc wins the WMC but barely as RB and McLaren mount serious challenges. Alpine is bridesmaid all year with podiums and no wins but looks good. AM fades, Ferrari struggles, HAAS makes Marussia look like a good team. AT throws in some surprise performances. AR does the exact same thing they've done the last three years. Williams folds up shop.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
12/31/20 2:42 p.m.

Kimi is 2021 WDC.

At midseason Verstappen is replaced by Albon due to being too slow. Albon finishes 4th in championship.

Mercedes finishes midpack due to  reliability issues.

Ferrari is WMC with Carlos and Charle 2nd and third in championship....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/31/20 4:43 p.m.

Lewis wins 70% of the races, Valteri has to justify his ride again, but George gets it at the end of the year, despite him having only three top 17 finishes.  Maclaren moves to second in the manufacturers race.  Seb does doodley squat in the no longer pink car, and Lances fortunes rise.  

johndej
johndej Dork
1/1/21 6:05 p.m.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
1/1/21 6:34 p.m.

Goodbye Vietnam 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/21 6:56 p.m.
jr02518 said:

I am looking forward to how the continuing saga with the tires is going to play out.  Will the drivers adapt to what the manufactures request from the supplier.

A couple of them seem to figure this out.

The reason for the rule changes with the floor of the car is due to using the same tires from 2019 into 2021.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
1/4/21 7:39 a.m.

Motorsport reporting that Australia may be postponed :( 

wae
wae UberDork
1/4/21 8:22 a.m.

There's a report that Sir Lewis has rejected Merc's contract offer and is making demands of a large salary, a percentage of the winnings if they claim the Constructors' Championship, one of the AMG One cars, plus a hands-on job in the team.  I can't really imagine a world in which he won't be driving for Mercedes this year, but it would be really fun to see young George take the reins of that car again and do battle against Bottas.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/21 9:16 a.m.
wae said:

There's a report that Sir Lewis has rejected Merc's contract offer and is making demands of a large salary, a percentage of the winnings if they claim the Constructors' Championship, one of the AMG One cars, plus a hands-on job in the team.  I can't really imagine a world in which he won't be driving for Mercedes this year, but it would be really fun to see young George take the reins of that car again and do battle against Bottas.

The part that doesn't ring true is the AMG One. Lewis has said he doesn't like driving - racing, yes, but driving around for fun no. 

Part of the winnings, though - that's interesting. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
1/4/21 9:52 a.m.

What I want out of F1 2021? Super Max to disrupt the Mercedes 1/2!

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/5/21 12:49 p.m.

Wondering when there will be fans at the races and safe travel?  2020 was going to be my year to do the Canadian GP but alas Covid.  Monaco is a bucket list event as is SPA but that will have to wait a bit.

I've only attended a few events but there is just nothing like it.

Indianapolis multiple times

Austin GP Inaugural race - last time seeing Schumacher race

Singapore night race (my favorite)

Shanghai GP - surprising nice event

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/21 1:55 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Does that mean the Canadian GP still has your money? I've heard refunds have not been happening which is pretty E36 M3ty.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/21 2:36 p.m.

I don't understand why Australia needs to be postponed.  They say they must quarantine for 2 weeks before.  Its the first race of the year.  It seems they could easily accomplish the quarantine before hand.  There are like 80 days before it.  

I understand the potential that the state just says no, or that the organizers would not want to build the course unless it can be guranteed to go.  But it seems that 3-4 weeks out you could have cars packed on planes ready to go and the 2nd set of support equipment on the ocean already and make the call then.  If the state can't support a 3 week guarantee you postpone.  

It's entirely possible that that isn't the only issue it's just the one everyone is reporting.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

The issue, as I have heard the explanation, is winter testing- the look to be delaying it into March, so the end of winter testing would be 14 days from the Australian Grand Prix.  

Which means they would have no time to do anything between winter testing and the race.

Even with normal timing, the 14 day requirement cuts into build time quite a bit for each team.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
1/5/21 3:46 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Part of the problem may be the need to build the track. Without attendance (ticket etc income) the cost to do the build might make it an even bigger financial problem.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Australia has been exceptionally strict in their quarantine rules from what I have read.  They don't mess around, just arrest people who don't comply.  Just think of all the people that come with the Formula One circus. 

Just trying to keep them all in lock down would be a challenge.  And where would they do it without taking over a large hotel  and potentially exposing the hotel workers while they are there?     .

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/5/21 4:43 p.m.
adam525i (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 84FSP :

Does that mean the Canadian GP still has your money? I've heard refunds have not been happening which is pretty E36 M3ty.

Thankfully no - I backed out just in time

1 2 3 ... 99

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6tzPrQWpb9xd5XmtuboEX7dq1UIilJkx5BbD75GIgHe1rtwkl8BlWMIgPHepcsld