1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 99
AaronT
AaronT Reader
2/19/21 9:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Technically this is 2020 news, but the trailer for Drive To Survive season 3 is out. The basic news is: yes, they were shooting last year, and March 19.

The best part of the trailer is the "we have no idea what's going to happen" bit. Because, obviously, HAM BOT VER

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
2/24/21 10:40 p.m.

Honda engine upgrades and McLaren with Merc engines. I am curious if that closes the top 4 teams up a bit. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/21 2:29 p.m.

Who will Red Bull throw under the bus now? I predict they will complain about fundamental flaws in the Honda design that can't be fixed under the regulations or without investing a billion dollars.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/25/21 3:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Who will Red Bull throw under the bus now? I predict they will complain about fundamental flaws in the Honda design that can't be fixed under the regulations or without investing a billion dollars.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Honda brought forward improvements they had planned for 2022.  Changes brought early don't come without risks.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
2/27/21 10:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Maybe for top billing on the Netflix 2021 season show they will throw Max Verstappen under the bus!!!!!  Da da daaaaaaa

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/21 7:16 a.m.

So, no one is excited for the new HAAS livery other than WADA? I thought some of the Comrades on here would have posted it up!

I really hope Mick walks all over Mazepin on track and can move on to a better team next year.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/21 7:17 a.m.

Also, Portugal is back early on in the season so that is good.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/21 7:38 a.m.

Hopefully the changes mentioned tighten up the field.  

One of the most telling comments of the season, at least in my opinion, was from George Russell. 

He said he was basically shocked at how hard he could turn in with the Mercedes, the front aero grip was so much higher than he was used to. 

All the talk about engines but maybe its Mercedes' aero package that is really the game changer?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/5/21 8:21 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Adrian Newey is no longer the best aero guy on the grid. His insistence on going with the high rake concept after years of seeing Mercedes low rake concept dominate shows that he's not as clever as he used to be. I've read his book and there was a time where he was THE man but he's slowing down (as are his cars) in his old age.

Keith Tanner
3/5/21 9:50 a.m.

I think the problem with Mercedes - from the viewpoint of teams that are not Mercedes - is that they're not just strong in one area. It's easy to point at the engine because everyone understands engine but the whole car is good. And they have a healthy culture.

So you either have to bring your whole package up to their level or you have to wait for them to screw up and collapse. The latter strategy is not proving to be a successful one so far.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/5/21 10:17 a.m.

The Merc engine is a powerful, reliable piece.  Williams uses a Merc engine.

I think that pretty much sums up the power of the Merc chassis.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/5/21 12:33 p.m.

Haas F1's Russian-Flag Livery Is Somehow OK Despite Ban on Russian Flag I thought it looked Russian when they revealed it. I am hoping all of this doesn't distract to putting together a good car for Mick.

Keith Tanner
3/5/21 12:37 p.m.

I have to admit I wasn't aware that was the current Russian flag or that there was a brouhaha about it. I guess they could add a few white stars on the blue and make MERICA. I do miss the crazy over the top patriotic liveries of 1976.

I guess Ferrari is running the old USSR flag.

3/5/21 12:37 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Haas F1's Russian-Flag Livery Is Somehow OK Despite Ban on Russian Flag I thought it looked Russian when they revealed it. I am hoping all of this doesn't distract to putting together a good car for Mick.

They've basically given up on 2021, so maybe this time, the equivalent of RIch Energy will actually pay the bills they are supposed to pay.

Keith Tanner
3/5/21 12:42 p.m.

C'mon Gene, step up.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/21 12:50 p.m.

I know most of us have seen the trailer but this is the first I have seen the actual release date, March 19, there goes my weekend!

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/netflix-releases-full-trailer-for-drive-to-survive-season-3/5592253/

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/5/21 1:10 p.m.

Just received this:

PIRELLI TO REMAIN EXCLUSIVE TYRE PARTNER TO FORMULA 1 UNTIL 2024

The FIA and Formula 1 have proposed, and Pirelli has agreed, a one-year extension to the existing exclusive tyre supply contract to reflect the original intention of the 2018 tyre tender and remain within the overall technical framework, which is in the best interests of all relevant stakeholders.

The most recent tyre tender from the FIA and Formula 1 back in 2018 was for the supply of a 13-inch tyre during the 2020 season, followed by three consecutive seasons of 18-inch tyres from 2021 to 2023 inclusive.

The COVID-19 pandemic, which also disrupted the 2020 Formula 1 season, obliged the FIA and Formula 1 to implement emergency measures that included the cancellation of tyre development tests last year and the postponement of planned new technical regulations – which included 18-inch tyres – from 2021 to 2022. As a result, the current rules now state that 13-inch tyres will be used during the 2021 season, with a move to 18-inch tyres in 2022.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/5/21 2:05 p.m.

I am just fascinated waiting for the 18s.  I'm honestly having a hard time imagining anything they could do to the cars that will have a steeper learning curve.  Those tires change everything, I think.

Other than banning wings and going back to cigar tube cars.

3/5/21 2:13 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I am just fascinated waiting for the 18s.  I'm honestly having a hard time imagining anything they could do to the cars that will have a steeper learning curve.  Those tires change everything, I think.

Other than banning wings and going back to cigar tube cars.

Listening to comments from a former F1 Mechanic, he's comments about the squish of the tire to be a big, and variable problem.  Based on his comments, the aero changes due to the tires will be a major help.

Keith Tanner
3/5/21 2:31 p.m.

It's my understanding that the sidewall is the majority of the suspension travel in the current cars. Decreasing that would have a huge effect on the stuff that we all think of suspension. I've wondered for a while just how important suspension design (other than steering geometry) really is in F1 these days.

3/5/21 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Even with that, I think the shorter sidewall will be better- more predictable.  Putting the springs into the springs should make the car more consistent, shouldn't it?

Keith Tanner
3/5/21 2:42 p.m.

Exactly. We will now have real suspension that matters!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 2:47 p.m.

I have to say, this is the BEST year for liveries in a long, long time. Back when BRG, Lotus Black/Gold, and Martini were all present was the last good year. Check out what 2021 has to offer:

Mercedes:

Red Bull (okay, this one is so familiar that it's a snooze):

McLaren:

Aston Martin:

Alpine:

AlphaTauri:

Alfa Romeo:

HAAS:

Williams:

Keith Tanner
3/5/21 3:13 p.m.

But what about Ferrari? You forgot Ferrari! Theirs might be the best yet! How will they have figured out how to advertise tobacco while totally not advertising tobacco?

Red Bull is an excellent example of how to use all the cool tools at your disposal to create a terrible livery. Someone told the poor designer it had to have big bulls and giant brand names on it but didn't actually let him (or her) know what the car looked like. I mean, even a can of Red Bull has a better livery. Put that big bold blue/silver crosshairs on the race car!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ferrari hasn't launched their 2021 livery yet, but I imagine it's probably red. Maybe.

The rumor is actually a 2-tone fade similar to the 1000th race livery:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 99

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mt52I1ZMDxPM9ZCECGLtCyL70En9REcBInZPBP5k83Yso19OQtvHnVWTXdxSAVKJ