1 2
Sultan
Sultan Dork
9/13/14 8:27 a.m.

I just watched the first race. It was weird.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
9/13/14 10:38 a.m.

I watched Andy Lally run an electric spec racer around Lime Rock earlier this summer. It is weird - all you could hear was tire noise.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/14 10:44 a.m.

I haven't seen it yet, but I have to admit that I'm interested in the idea.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
9/13/14 11:29 a.m.

The changing cars for a pit stop is very strange. Not sure if I like it or not.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/13/14 11:39 a.m.

what channel?

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/13/14 12:16 p.m.

I'm watching it on dvr now. At about the halfway point and after you get used to the new noises (or lack thereof) and don't try to compare it to F1, IndyCar or any other series and just take it for what it is its pretty compelling.

Changing cars is odd but that won't be around for long with more innovation. The broadcasting needs work too, the sudden cuts to commercial are harsh and annoying.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/13/14 12:28 p.m.

berkeleying dvr stopped the recording right as they started the last lap. I saw what happened on a couple facebook posts earlier so now I have to go track those down....

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
9/13/14 12:40 p.m.

I'm watching it now. If you don't worry too much about the weird noises, the racing is actually pretty good. A few kinks to work out but I like it so far.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
9/13/14 2:14 p.m.

There was last lap carnage proving that regardless of motive power, bad things happen when stupid happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0O3V8pJj0E&feature=share

I hope for a big penalty/race ban and daddy taking the (keys) away for a while.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/13/14 4:06 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8_63_hlhY whole race

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
9/13/14 4:12 p.m.

Like father like son........ Glad Heidfeld was ok........

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/14 4:26 p.m.

Do you think the lack of engine noise had anything to do with the crash? I was trying to see where the turn in was suppose to be. I am betting it was a bit of blocking but I could not figuar out where the turn in is.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
9/13/14 6:12 p.m.

That was a pretty spectacular crash. Fortunately it looks like everyone was alright.

Out of curiosity did they do away with that gimmicky "Twitter boost?" I didn't get the opportunity to watch.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/14 7:07 a.m.

"Twitter boost" was most unfortunately left in place. Gonna watch the event now.

If the YouTube link is down later...you're welcome.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/14/14 11:12 a.m.

shiny happy person move from Nico Prost at the end

GameboyRMH
9/14/14 1:08 p.m.

Prost said he didn't see Heidfield, which is the only possible explanation other than cartoonish spite:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/29190163

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/14/14 1:10 p.m.

What was Twitter boost?

GameboyRMH
9/14/14 1:14 p.m.

The real name for it is "Fanboost" and it's an Internet popularity contest (using Twitter hashtag totals as votes) where the winners get extra boost time on their cars.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/14 2:02 p.m.

The boost would've better if it was unexpected like every so often the fans pick someone to start accelerating without the driver getting any notice.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
9/14/14 3:15 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Like father like son........ Glad Heidfeld was ok........

HUH???

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
9/14/14 7:37 p.m.
Wally wrote: The boost would've better if it was unexpected like every so often the fans pick someone to start accelerating without the driver getting any notice.

This. So much this.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/14 9:48 p.m.
Wally wrote: The boost would've better if it was unexpected like every so often the fans pick someone to start accelerating without the driver getting any notice.

'Cause random unidentified fan (@sshat) input is a good things on a race track during actual competition?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/15/14 6:06 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The real name for it is "Fanboost" and it's an Internet popularity contest (using Twitter hashtag totals as votes) where the winners get extra boost time on their cars.

Oh wow. Yeah, that's pretty damn stupid.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/15/14 8:37 a.m.

Haven't watched the whole race, just the first couple of laps and the crash.

To his credit Prost has apologized to Heidfeld and taken full responsibility.

Check out the quality of the field though. Look at the F1 experience there:
- DiGrassi
- Montagny
- Pic
- Chandhok
- d'Ambrosio
- Piquet jr
- Sarrazin (only one race)
- Algursuari
- Heodfeld
- Sato
- Buemi
- Trulli
- Senna
That's 13 of the 20 drivers as ex-F1 drivers and most, except Sarrazin have at least a full year under their belt, some of them 3 or more.

There are two ex full time Champ/IRL/Indy car drivers there as well with Servia and Legge. No doubting the quality of the field there.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
9/15/14 8:42 a.m.

I enjoyed it, the engine and technology does matter that much to me I just want to see some good racing and I think they provided.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZVwQ4jnaxp7g1FUvrumT8renOj2G9DCj9boiVYYmVX7WbkY4O25uRV5WB5jHDuEX