1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/14/16 12:37 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
alfadriver said: bad that the drivers have kind of thrown the team under the bus
Didn't hear that from Grosjean.... Guiterrez.... hmmmm, and didn't HAAS pick up a development driver???? maybe give him Guiterrez'z ride on Fridays.....

He sounded better during the post qualifying interview, so perhaps some of his "quotes" that were mentioned were not real.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/16 7:07 a.m.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/15/16 7:17 a.m.

In reply to XLR99:

Wow. Never would have expected that to happen.

What was Rosberg thinking?

At least Rosberg got taken out when he took out Hamilton.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/15/16 7:24 a.m.

Ok, so now there is a debate on who's fault.

Given how quickly Hamilton closed from the corner to the straight- one he picked a side (which was the classic passing side), there was not really an option for him to switch sides of the track without causing some big problems. While Rosberg was on the correct line to go into the next corner- so he was protecting his position (theoretically).

I just don't see how that was not Rosberg's fault- by the time he pulled over, Hamilton had no place to go.

Either way, both are out.

They are mentioning that Lauda is blaming Hamilton. Looks like it may be time to change teams. Get the silly season started early.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
5/15/16 7:36 a.m.

I felt like maybe they both made the same decision at the same time.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/15/16 8:13 a.m.

I have lost any respect I had for Lauda as of today. He and Rosberg deserve each other.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/15/16 8:48 a.m.

So this promotion of Max worked out pretty well...

Heck of a drive- keeping those tires under him for that long! Pretty much forced the Ferrari to use it's tires up and not get a pass.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/15/16 8:50 a.m.

I agree with Lauda. I don't know why Hammy went for a non existing gap, especially in an area not conducive to passing. A desperate move. A bad move. Period.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/15/16 8:56 a.m.
markwemple wrote: I agree with Lauda. I don't know why Hammy went for a non existing gap, especially in an area not conducive to passing. A desperate move. A bad move. Period.

If you ignore the fact that there was a gap there, since the next corner was a right- so Rosberg should have been on the left. Considering that Lewis closed on him that fast, he was going to go right or left around Rosberg- and the force off happened in the middle of the straight- where it should not be hard to give a car's width on the non racing line.

The gap was there until Rosberg forced him off.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/15/16 9:00 a.m.

In reply to markwemple:

Are you trolling?

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/15/16 9:30 a.m.

Hell no. Rosberg made his 1 move to the right, Lewis followed. What the hell did Lweis think he'd do, move left to open a gap? Again, stupid!

Oh, wait, Hammy fans want everyone to bow to his superiority. BullE36 M3e.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/15/16 9:32 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
markwemple wrote: I agree with Lauda. I don't know why Hammy went for a non existing gap, especially in an area not conducive to passing. A desperate move. A bad move. Period.
If you ignore the fact that there was a gap there, since the next corner was a right- so Rosberg should have been on the left. Considering that Lewis closed on him that fast, he was going to go right or left around Rosberg- and the force off happened in the middle of the straight- where it should not be hard to give a car's width on the non racing line. The gap was there until Rosberg forced him off.

Oh, you mean that we are all supposed to hold the racing line and not defend a pass. Ok. WTF?!

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
5/15/16 9:34 a.m.

I don't think Nico meant to shut the door on Lewis like that. He was fiddling with his engine mode / confirm button at the corner exit, found himself out of position, and probably expected Lewis on his left.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/15/16 9:39 a.m.

Whether Rosberg followed the letter of the rule or not- , it is stupid to not leave racing room for your teammate!

I wouldn't have expected the car in front of me to move 50 feet to the right on a straight either.

However, Hamilton could have backed out of it. He didn't and they are both out.

Verstappen is for reals! Crazy good drive from a teenager!

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
5/15/16 9:46 a.m.

I think its safe to say those two don't like each other, but you have to admit Nico came WAY off the race line to block. Neither one would have made that corner at race speed.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/15/16 10:45 a.m.
markwemple wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
If you ignore the fact that there was a gap there, since the next corner was a right- so Rosberg should have been on the left. Considering that Lewis closed on him that fast, he was going to go right or left around Rosberg- and the force off happened in the middle of the straight- where it should not be hard to give a car's width on the non racing line. The gap was there until Rosberg forced him off.
Oh, you mean that we are all supposed to hold the racing line and not defend a pass. Ok. WTF?!

There is a rule that you have to leave a car widths space, which Rosberg did not. My point is that Rosberg didn't have the right to be that close to the edge of the track on that side. He did on the other side- but not to drive anyone else off the track.

On Nico's right, there IS a gap. You can't slam it shut that late, especially going straight- there's more than plenty of space for both that time.

Again, it's not as if Nico didn't apparently make a mistake on the corner prior- since he had 2-3 car lengths on Lewis going ONTO the straight. So his answer for his mistake was pretty blatant blocking. Which cost the race.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/15/16 10:46 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote: I don't think Nico meant to shut the door on Lewis like that. He was fiddling with his engine mode / confirm button at the corner exit, found himself out of position, and probably expected Lewis on his left.

Why would Lewis have gone on his left? If he expected a pass, Lewis would have been on his right. Given the speed difference, a pass on that short straight looked to be pretty easy.

sergio
sergio Reader
5/15/16 11:44 a.m.

Who's fault is it? Testosterone.

Isn't it the responsibility of the passing car to make a safe pass?

If Nico lets him by on the inside then Lewis might not have made the next turn because he was off line. Plus Lewis had 65 more laps to try a pass.

Oh well, neither gave an inch and there you have it.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/15/16 11:45 a.m.

Turn 3 - right turn normal exit on left leads to short straight with normal line to left setting up entrance to right hand turn 4.

Rosberg exits Turn 3 to left, Hamilton exits slightly to right and has a significant speed advantage. Hamilton moves right to pass(normal passing move). Rosberg moves right to block and then moves further right to edge of track(probably illegal according to rules). Hamilton is forced right into the grass. Upon hitting grass Hamilton spins(hasn't touched Rosberg yet). Spinning car then hits rear of Rosberg spinning him.

My Thoughts: Rosberg, after making a brilliant move around the outside in Turn 1 to take the lead, made a very dumb move and ended up taking both of them out.
The only excuse I can think of is that Rosberg's car was losing power(based on closing speed of Hamilton) and he was trying to get off the track. And even then he should have been looking for traffic where he was going.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
5/15/16 12:55 p.m.

This is exactly why I don't think blocking should be tolerated in any motorsport,saying only one move allowed to "protect" is bullE36 M3 and is still blocking no matter what you call it.How many times do we have to see a driver run another driver right into the pit wall or off the track to "protect" his/her position?.

I've W2W for 20 yrs,always pisses me off when it happens to me,you wanna protect your postion then drive faster or give up the spot plain and simple.

This incident shouldn't even be debated,staight up Rosberg without question.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/15/16 12:56 p.m.

Rosberg berkeleyed up, then made a desperate move to block a pass. He should have left 8 feet to the grass.

Lewis berkeleyed up on turn 1, and then was headed (very quickly) for a gap that was rapidly disappearing. Sure, he could have backed off, but then when was he supposed to pass on a track that's famously difficult to pass on? There is a hole, the car in front has made a mistake, take the hole.

Fault is 70% Nico, 30% Lewis, I say.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/15/16 12:59 p.m.

Secondary argument:

How does the Merc crash compare to yesterday at Indy? Should Kannan have backed off when Bourdais squeezed him into the wall?

Very similar incidents, really.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/15/16 1:12 p.m.

So getting off the Mercedes issues- Ferrari had some pretty high expectations going into this weekend, and realistically, they did pretty well. I bet that they didn't close on Mercedes speed as much as they wanted too, but it seems that they were closer.

But that was hart to tell as Red Bull's improvement was much sharper. We know they had some speed, being that Ricciardo has finished well during the first 4 races. But IIRC (and I've not looked it up) Ferrari has been out qualifying them as a team. To see Red Bull take the entire second row had to be a shock. Then they turned that into a competitive race vs Ferrari very well- although Ricciardo's 4th I bet is a little disappointing. Just that Verstappen's finish made up for that late puncture.

Haas may not be scoring points, but being a first time team, I think they are still doing well. Figuring out how the tires work with the car's tuning seems to be an issue at the moment (along with debugging the car).

Best of times/Worst of times for Williams. Bottas/Massa.... who knows.

Torro Rosso is very solidly one of the best of the mid-pack teams. Nice to see Sainz do well.

McLaren is hard to figure out- they are faster- as their pace improvement is one of the best. Creeping up the qualifying chart is great. But that isn't translating to the race as well.

Again- I do enjoy having 3 tires. Which makes Max's ability to finish on the medium tires with so many laps even more impressive. Great drive by him.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/15/16 1:47 p.m.

Best part for red bull and worst for Ferrari. Is that Monaco is a handling course. Ferrari will fall back into the field and red bull and McLaren will move up.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/15/16 1:50 p.m.

For all those saying Rosberg should have left room, I'd love to have a day to get the videos together of the 100s of times Vettel and Schumacher didn't. Better yet. The times they shoved others into walls.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWuzACP1GnqCVXFebHL3y1CrLXq1amAR9WKH7uq50jmLqK0s3rdnzCtu26LtAIGM