1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 44
MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
5/28/16 1:26 p.m.

Daniel is going to start on supersofts, so he's going to have ultrasofts available at the end of the race with a light fuel load. It's his race to win!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/16 2:03 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: What was the deal with Lewis' qualifying run and his series of warmup laps? Was he waiting for clear track, or screwing up the first corner, or what? I hope Ricciardo doesn't pull a Senna and take himself out of the lead. It sure looks to me like he should walk away with this race.

One theory is that since the purple tires aren't something they've used before, they're still figuring out how many warmup laps they need. So maybe Hamilton was tossing it into turn one and looking at the grip level before deciding whether or not to make that his one fast qualifying lap.

AIUI, the forecast is for a whole bunch of rain tomorrow. If so, then expect a lot of safety cars and scrambles for tire changes, which can make for unusual results.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/28/16 2:43 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Red Bull on the pole in Monaco. Since Verstappen's "promotion" to the main team, they've gotten a win and a pole. Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe Verstappen is one of those drivers that has the ability to raise everyone else's game around him. Either way, I would never have predicted this. I thought Ferrari was the only team to seriously be a consistent threat to Mercedes. I like being wrong sometimes. Sunday's race could be amazing.

Keep in mind Spain and Monaco are both high downforce tracks and for years now Red Bull seems to have a lock on producing a car with the most downforce.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/28/16 6:35 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: What was the deal with Lewis' qualifying run and his series of warmup laps? Was he waiting for clear track, or screwing up the first corner, or what? I hope Ricciardo doesn't pull a Senna and take himself out of the lead. It sure looks to me like he should walk away with this race.
One theory is that since the purple tires aren't something they've used before, they're still figuring out how many warmup laps they need. So maybe Hamilton was tossing it into turn one and looking at the grip level before deciding whether or not to make that his one fast qualifying lap.

That seems like a reasonable idea.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/28/16 7:25 p.m.

The weather should be even more of an equilizer. It may help McLaren the most as they have a good chassis and only an ok powerplant. Wonder who did a rain setup vs intermediate vs dry.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/28/16 7:29 p.m.

FWIW, this isn't a Ferrari track.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/16 6:43 a.m.

Rainy start!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/16 7:57 a.m.

I may be a Hamilton fan, but that red bull issue is heartbreaking.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/29/16 8:29 a.m.

No 4 in row for Nico. Verstappen DNFs again.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/29/16 9:03 a.m.

Markwemple: Your comment made me think and do some research. The Big Red One has only 9 wins at Monaco and just 3 since 1981. Yeah, Monaco definitely is not a Ferrari track. What's up with that?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/16 9:32 a.m.

Some luck for Hamilton today. And a great drive by Perez.

Even with Ricciardo finishing second, no question Red Bull is back. They are getting more out of the Renault engine than Renault is.

If the race was one lap longer, seeing what happened to Nico....

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 11:21 a.m.

In reply to ncjay:

Luck and Ferrari has always been more engine and less chassis. Monaco is a chassis track.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 11:22 a.m.

Stewards blew it today. The cut at the Nouvelle Chicane by hammy should have given the position to danny

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 11:23 a.m.

Alonso 5th! McLaren coming back.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/29/16 1:28 p.m.

It was fairly impressive how long Hamilton stayed out on rain tires today.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/29/16 1:39 p.m.
ncjay wrote: It was fairly impressive how long Hamilton stayed out on rain tires today.

And how long the Ultra Soft's lasted. I wonder if it's an indication of how good those tires are, or if it was because of the cold weather as a result of the rain.

Glad to see Lewis back on top, but kinda wish Daniel had taken the win. A questionable cut through the chicane and a slow pit stop really hurt him.

-Rob

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/29/16 1:41 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Stewards blew it today. The cut at the Nouvelle Chicane by hammy should have given the position to danny

I have to agree.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/29/16 1:43 p.m.

I think Christian Horner will give Daniel the chance to line up his engineers and mechanics and nut kick every one of them, for as long as he wants.

Lewis did a heck of a job holding the lead, but it was Daniels race.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/16 1:43 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Stewards blew it today. The cut at the Nouvelle Chicane by hammy should have given the position to danny

Given the penalty for driving too slow under the virtual yellow, seems like it started with that under the tunnel.

But Hamilton did leave a car width to Daniel.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 1:45 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
ncjay wrote: It was fairly impressive how long Hamilton stayed out on rain tires today.
And how long the Ultra Soft's lasted. I wonder if it's an indication of how good those tires are, or if it was because of the cold weather as a result of the rain. Glad to see Lewis back on top, but kinda wish Daniel had taken the win. A questionable cut through the chicane and a slow pit stop really hurt him. -Rob

It wasn't questionable. He blew it trying to defend then shoved Danny to the armco. He should have given up his position at least. They should take at least 10 seconds from him. Although, based upon the past rulings, it should be 25.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/29/16 1:46 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
I have to agree.

Yeah... I don't think much will be made of it, other than on social media, because it was Red Bull that created the situation in the first place. Also, if I was a steward, I'd have a very hard time making a call like that. For 10th, maybe its easy. To pull someone out of the lead is a very, very big deal.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/16 1:53 p.m.

Red Bull is to blame for all of that. They cost Daniel the lead.

Not for a horrible pit stop, none of that would have happened.

Again, Lewis did give him a car width on the Armco.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
5/29/16 3:26 p.m.

Besides the fact Hammy was trying to catch up with the car under acceleration while Riccardo was making his move. Looked like a " just racing incident" to me. I was more interested about Ericsson's move on his teammate after the team told Nasr to let him by. That was a bad spot to make that move and showed a lack of patience to say the least. Great drive by Perez

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 3:59 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Red Bull is to blame for all of that. They cost Daniel the lead. Not for a horrible pit stop, none of that would have happened. Again, Lewis did give him a car width on the Armco.

The incident was before his pit cycle. And still doesn't excuse Hammy or the stewards. The rules on this oneis clear. He cut a corner and gained an advantage

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 4:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
I have to agree.
Yeah... I don't think much will be made of it, other than on social media, because it was Red Bull that created the situation in the first place. Also, if I was a steward, I'd have a very hard time making a call like that. For 10th, maybe its easy. To pull someone out of the lead is a very, very big deal.

He's done it before and paid the price. He should know better. Again, it was done before the pit cycle.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
skI8UBT70feE3pibJEKMWffKrIYEu1cqgPzEhvKr6vC5tb2kgZ4xupZWcwNu24WM