1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 44
markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 4:01 p.m.
Iusedtobefast wrote: Besides the fact Hammy was trying to catch up with the car under acceleration while Riccardo was making his move. Looked like a " just racing incident" to me. I was more interested about Ericsson's move on his teammate after the team told Nasr to let him by. That was a bad spot to make that move and showed a lack of patience to say the least. Great drive by Perez

Hammy was in the lead and the trackbwas clear ahead of him

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/29/16 4:09 p.m.

Winners of the day - Perez came home with a great finish. Even though he didn't win, Ricciardo was a threat and did a fantastic job. Hamilton managed the tires all race long and won. Alonso stayed out of trouble and comes home 5th. McLaren needs that right now. Losers - Verstappen wrecks for the 2nd year in a row. Questionable move by Ericsson takes out both team cars. Kyvat just can't stop hitting things it seems. Raikkonen blew a great start to his season.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
5/29/16 4:18 p.m.

I dunno,Lewis didn't gain any time by going across the curbing crossed up at the chicane....telemetry comparison would show a considerable time loss I expect.If he was faster because of the "cut" Daniel wouldn't have had a big run on him on the exit.

Having said that as a Hammy fan I'd have been pretty happy for Daniel as he shoulda won that race after the awesome job done all weekend.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
5/29/16 4:42 p.m.

What I meant by "catching the car" was he was trying to correct

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/29/16 5:06 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: I dunno,Lewis didn't gain any time by going across the curbing crossed up at the chicane....telemetry comparison would show a considerable time loss I expect.If he was faster because of the "cut" Daniel wouldn't have had a big run on him on the exit. Having said that as a Hammy fan I'd have been pretty happy for Daniel as he shoulda won that race after the awesome job done all weekend.

The advantage had nothing to do with time. He came into the corner too hot depending his position placing all 4 whhels of the course and cutying the corner.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/16 5:15 p.m.

Kyvat is the new Maldonado

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/29/16 5:22 p.m.
markwemple wrote: The incident was before his pit cycle.

Nope.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
5/29/16 5:46 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
markwemple wrote: The incident was before his pit cycle.
Nope.

Incident was after Dani's pit. Red Bull pit crew screwed him over, not Hamilton. Stewards made the right call, Hammy lost big time cutting that corner and having to collect the car when it got off the dry line. Funny how nobody seemed to mention the level of skill it took to manage the ultra softs all the way to the finish. Dani had burned his super softs up trying to catch and pass Hammy. I agree it was Dani's race to win, till his pit crew lost it for him.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/16 5:51 p.m.

That mistake by Hamilton almost cost him the lead, it wasn't an advantage.

That was a strategy based on the fact that it's impossible to pass at Monaco. Sure made for an interesting race, and it was a gamble in a bunch of ways - the rain at the end, the unknown lifespan of those purple tires and safety cars. I laughed at the last VSC when Hamilton slowed to a walk to let the rubber cool. Red Bull lost the race with that pit stop. Given the number of tires that came out of the garage, I think there must have just been confusion as to what was going to go on the car. If Nico had moved over earlier, however, it might not have been necessary for Red Bull's help.

Canada will be a totally different race. If both Mercedes were having trouble with brake temps at Monaco, Canada is going to be a problem.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/29/16 9:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Canada will be a totally different race. If both Mercedes were having trouble with brake temps at Monaco, Canada is going to be a problem.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Toto said after that the brakes were too cold, not too hot.

Keith Tanner
5/29/16 10:27 p.m.

That would make sense, I couldn't see how they'd be putting heat into the brakes on a wet Monaco track.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
5/29/16 10:39 p.m.

Replay on NBCSN now 11:30 pm EST

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
5/30/16 1:01 a.m.

Missed the live broadcast but caught the replay.

Really RedBull??

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/16 4:05 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Given the number of tires that came out of the garage, I think there must have just been confusion as to what was going to go on the car. Canada will be a totally different race. If both Mercedes were having trouble with brake temps at Monaco, Canada is going to be a problem.

From what I read, RB had planned to put ultrasoft tires on Ricciardo's car, but decided at the last minute to go with supersofts instead in reaction to Hamilton's tire choice and that's what caused the confusion.

As for brake temps, I suspect that they just screwed up the ducting sizes. Montreal is historically a strong track for Hamilton.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/16 8:26 a.m.

Didn't the Mercedes have brake issues in Canada before?

Keith Tanner
5/30/16 11:37 a.m.

Yup. Led to retirement for one (Lewis, I think) and the other limped home.

codrus
5/30/16 12:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Yup. Led to retirement for one (Lewis, I think) and the other limped home.

That was 2014, supposedly it was caused the MGU-K failing costing them a ton of power and making the rear brake-by-wire system not work correctly.

Hamilton won it last year, also in 2007, 2010, and 2012.

Toto Wolff says the problem was too MUCH cooling on the brakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShl8JVbcic

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/30/16 2:27 p.m.

Heh, I met Rossi last year and he gave me a signed hat. Now I see he won the Indy 500.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/31/16 11:37 a.m.

Hammy going off track was called correctly. You get a penalty if you gain an advantage by going off track. He didn't. He lost time and gave Danny a shot at getting past him right after that.

The two Ericsson, Nasr incident was pure stupidity. Monisha Kaltenborn should put them both over he knee and spank them, then kick Ericsson on the nuts for good measure. While both were stupid, Ericsson was clearly the more at guilt. They told Nasr to let him by at turn 1 which is Sainte Devote. Nasr might have been giving no quarter, but Ericsson tryed to force through at the last turn instead of waiting for the assigned place. Now, if NAsr hadn't let him through at Saint Devote and they'd have collided there I'd have put the blame on him, but as it is Ericsson deserves his three place grid penalty.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/31/16 11:45 a.m.
codrus wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Yup. Led to retirement for one (Lewis, I think) and the other limped home.
That was 2014, supposedly it was caused the MGU-K failing costing them a ton of power and making the rear brake-by-wire system not work correctly. Hamilton won it last year, also in 2007, 2010, and 2012. Toto Wolff says the problem was too MUCH cooling on the brakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShl8JVbcic

Yeah, my understanding is the rear brakes are now smaller because the MGU-K is doing some of the "braking" for the rear wheels now. If it fails, the rear brakes are now too small to handle all the braking duty.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/16 11:46 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Hammy going off track was called correctly. You get a penalty if you gain an advantage by going off track. He didn't. He lost time and gave Danny a shot at getting past him right after that. The two Ericsson, Nasr incident was pure stupidity. Monisha Kaltenborn should put them both over he knee and spank them, then kick Ericsson on the nuts for good measure. While both were stupid, Ericsson was clearly the more at guilt. They told Nasr to let him by at turn 1 which is Sainte Devote. Nasr might have been giving no quarter, but Ericsson tryed to force through at the last turn instead of waiting for the assigned place. Now, if NAsr hadn't let him through at Saint Devote and they'd have collided there I'd have put the blame on him, but as it is Ericsson deserves his three place grid penalty.

I believe Nasr was supposed to let him through on the lap prior and did not....

johndej
johndej Reader
5/31/16 12:59 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Hammy going off track was called correctly. You get a penalty if you gain an advantage by going off track. He didn't. He lost time and gave Danny a shot at getting past him right after that. The two Ericsson, Nasr incident was pure stupidity. Monisha Kaltenborn should put them both over he knee and spank them, then kick Ericsson on the nuts for good measure. While both were stupid, Ericsson was clearly the more at guilt. They told Nasr to let him by at turn 1 which is Sainte Devote. Nasr might have been giving no quarter, but Ericsson tryed to force through at the last turn instead of waiting for the assigned place. Now, if NAsr hadn't let him through at Saint Devote and they'd have collided there I'd have put the blame on him, but as it is Ericsson deserves his three place grid penalty.
I believe Nasr was supposed to let him through on the lap prior and did not....

I agree, I seem to remember the radio is delayed a good bit when you hear it, Nasr had been told a lap and a 1/2 earlier to let him go and Ericsson replied something, like "I guess he has his radio off? why hasn't he moved?"

codrus
5/31/16 1:25 p.m.
johndej wrote: I agree, I seem to remember the radio is delayed a good bit when you hear it, Nasr had been told a lap and a 1/2 earlier to let him go and Ericsson replied something, like "I guess he has his radio off? why hasn't he moved?"

Yeah, the radios are delayed at least a couple laps so that they can bleep out Vettel after he gets hit by Kvyat again. :)

Still a stupid move though.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/31/16 3:17 p.m.

Hmmm, this isn't the first race where the HAAS boys have run the softest available....HAAS seems to be very easy on the tires...

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/1/16 7:01 a.m.

I was more disappointed for Ricciardo than happy for Hamilton. Red Bull just had a painful day. Kvyatt just smashing his way out of the race, Verstappen showing his lack of skills crashing out. And Ricciardo and Sainz the victims of poor pit strategy/execution. Hurts Ricciardo that much more to come out of a bad pitstop and still almost beat Hamilton to the pit exit.

It seemed like MB had long pitstops as well, around 4seconds, and were the slower cars on track.

The whole feeling of the race was a bunch of teams suffering. The battle for the top 4 was interesting though.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Mir2hHZvt3e1U4FsIYqgApiQipSWFCSkIUHi0fvK8zbqc2dIYKVASPcdRorwXZ8