1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 44
Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/1/16 5:22 p.m.

Well I guess the first issue is that Max continues to move on braking which is dangerous simply due to closing speeds. Like Button said. Yeah it may be exciting but how many times do we want to see crashes like when Alonso hit Gutierez? All of a sudden all the stewards seem to be acting like we need to see someone die every year in order to consider F1 exciting. BS. Nico going purple under double yellow is just not a safe precedent to set. This is exactly why Bianchi was going too fast under yellow. Because he has to in order to stay competitive to everyone else. Force the lift and penalize any improvement in the sector with a loss of that lap. If you still get pole after losing one sector then cool.

Max is building a big dangerous habit. He needs to be brought under control in terms of his unsafe defenses. Heck his "pass" on Ricciardo off track on the outside of T1 was questionable too. I mean he just committed to being on the outside no matter what not even trying to keep two wheels on. Nico just doesn't do passing very well at times. He definitely needed to wait another half to full lap. He tried from soooo far back and just didn't make the corner well enough. He said he couldn't turn any tighter as he was on steering lock and thus left no room. So both of them sucked at that corner. And yes the penalty seemed to fit the advantage gained.

I must say that the track did provide some great passing and racing opportunities.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/1/16 5:41 p.m.

Oh and to continue whining. Max could have probably more easily defended by staying wide and cutting under Nico. Most other drivers did that when defending and some succeeded in their defense. If he refuses to be passed and goes off track as he wants to avoid the pass, why should he be rewarded?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/16 8:17 a.m.

So anyone been to singapore for the GP? I may be in Asia for that week and possibly get over to Singapore for the race. I was just wondering any recommendations on tickets or places to watch or any must sees if I can get there.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/3/16 3:32 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

Sorry never been that way. I hear it is very nice. While in Shanghai, I was told by a businessman from Singapore that it is quite a lot more people but not many out on the street like in China. Seems like he was describing that the buildings are interconnected and full of amenities so people don't have to step outside. IDK

Take pictures and tell us all about it.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
8/3/16 3:48 p.m.

I'm no help about F1 in Singapore, but I did just see this on my FB feed that would be worth exploring if you go: World's first Michelin-starred Street Food stall

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/16 4:41 p.m.

I've been to singapore for business before. It's a great place for food and culture. My favorite place outside of Australia in Asia. I've just never been to the GP there. I'm suppose to work the GP next year though looking forward to that. It's kind of like downtown Montreal in that yes everything is connected. For a different reason than Montreal (Heat vs Cold) but yeah in the CBD there is a lot of connected buildings. If I do get this all aligned, I'll post some pictures for sure.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
8/5/16 7:56 a.m.

Rossi has options

It will be interesting on what he decides. I would think the other F1 teams interested would be Sauber, maybe HAAS if they decide to part-ways with Gut and Force India if Checo leaves. On the other hand I would think Wherlain would have the line on Force India because of the Mercedes power plant. Gut although could be replaced based on his ability, with his money and Ferrari, it might be unlikely. Sauber might be the obvious, but at least this year it doesn't look like a step up from Manor and being 3rd inline with the Ferrari power plant, perhaps it will never be back to it's old form. I would figure that the indycar ride would be the farthest option, regardless of the front running car.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/16 10:07 a.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Rossi has options It will be interesting on what he decides. I would think the other F1 teams interested would be Sauber, maybe HAAS if they decide to part-ways with Gut and Force India if Checo leaves. On the other hand I would think Wherlain would have the line on Force India because of the Mercedes power plant. Gut although could be replaced based on his ability, with his money and Ferrari, it might be unlikely. Sauber might be the obvious, but at least this year it doesn't look like a step up from Manor and being 3rd inline with the Ferrari power plant, perhaps it will never be back to it's old form. I would figure that the indycar ride would be the farthest option, regardless of the front running car.

What about a Honda ride in F1? Is anybody switching powerplants next year? Could he go to McLaren?

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
8/5/16 12:55 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr: I think Vandoorne is a shoe-in for McLaren, although Rossi does bring a check with him.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/5/16 1:26 p.m.

Yeah Rossi will not be able to get an awesome seat. Really not many options unless Kvyatt gets dropped and RB really really want and American in Toro Rosso.

Then again all is new and different in 2017. Any team can shine or fail horribly next year. Manor could pull a Brawn-ish lucky design out of the hat. With MB power they would dominate. Or Sauber or Williams. Round 1 next year will be interesting.

He could take a seat in the F1 world and see how it goes. Probably should.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/16 1:42 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: Then again all is new and different in 2017. Any team can shine or fail horribly next year. Manor could pull a Brawn-ish lucky design out of the hat.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. Brawn certainly had some luck, yes, but remember that the BGP001 was really a Honda -- one that they'd spent almost 2 years designing, basically completely abandoning the 2008 effort. It was not a plucky, low-budget, come-from-behind car, it had a huge manufacturer budget behind it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/5/16 2:12 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Advan046 wrote: Then again all is new and different in 2017. Any team can shine or fail horribly next year. Manor could pull a Brawn-ish lucky design out of the hat.
Perhaps, but I doubt it. Brawn certainly had some luck, yes, but remember that the BGP001 was really a Honda -- one that they'd spent almost 2 years designing, basically completely abandoning the 2008 effort. It was not a plucky, low-budget, come-from-behind car, it had a huge manufacturer budget behind it.

Exactly.

And once everyone else figured out the double diffuser, they didn't dominate like they did the first half of the season.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/5/16 5:19 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider: I had the pleasure of the Singapore night race in 14 and it was amazing. At any cost do it. For Asian races China and Malaysia are far cheaper but are more like Hungary than the Monaco-esque atmosphere of Singapore. Fan tip is to stay at the Hilton Jahor Bahru in Malaysia just across the border. The cabs are sketch but you go to sub 50 a night 4 star hotel vs 500+ for sub 3 star.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/6/16 4:42 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
codrus wrote:
Exactly. And once everyone else figured out the double diffuser, they didn't dominate like they did the first half of the season.

Yes yes. Honda $$$$$ and a full year dedication was key to a good overall package. Well they did well enough to win Button the WDC. Now they are Mercedes Benz F1. So they are doing alright.

johndej
johndej Reader
8/10/16 2:24 p.m.

Manor has fired Rio Haryanto after the Indonesian failed to meet his contractual obligations. Filling his seat will be Renault reserve Esteban Ocon.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/26/16 11:52 a.m.

Spa this weekend, and FP2 is done.

The speculation on when Lewis takes grid penalties are coming true- with a vengeance. The first penalty was thought to be 10 spots, which then expanded to 15. Currently, the penalty is at 35, according to F1- http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/8/fp2---verstappen-leads-red-bull-one-two-in-belgium.html

Speculation is that they will go for the record number of penalties (which is currently 70 for Jensen Button in Mexico last year), and be at 75. The way the rules work, it's more of grid spot 22. But by getting all of that at once, Lewis has enough parts for the rest of the season. And, while we don't get to see him qualify (other than being within 107%, the potential of him screaming up from the back of the pack on this track does sound appealing. It would not be his first this season.

Here's the further speculative part- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2016/08/26/lewis-hamilton-could-face-75-place-penalty-at-belgian-gp-but-for/

Hal
Hal UltraDork
8/26/16 6:05 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: And, while we don't get to see him qualify (other than being within 107%,

Will he do that or will he go all out just to mess with other driver's minds?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/16 7:17 p.m.

I doubt it, he's probably better off saving the tires if he knows he's starting from the back anyway. Anyone know if rain is expected?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/27/16 12:38 p.m.
Hal wrote:
alfadriver wrote: And, while we don't get to see him qualify (other than being within 107%,

One pretty slow timed lap was what he did. BTW, they mentioned just 50 spots this morning, and speculate that Mercedes may add one more engine for another 20 or so meaningless grid spot penalties. Which would give him more than enough for the rest of the season.

I LOVE Spa. What a great track.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/27/16 12:39 p.m.
codrus wrote: I doubt it, he's probably better off saving the tires if he knows he's starting from the back anyway. Anyone know if rain is expected?

Looks like rain doesn't get forecasted until Monday- it's 90 today, and will be in the 80's and partly cloudy tomorrow. Great weather for racing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/27/16 12:42 p.m.

Lots of angst for McLaren- on one hand, the reported improvements got Button to Q3, on the other, Alonso didn't even finish a lap. (although, Alonso was starting at the back the grid, like Hamilton)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/27/16 1:00 p.m.

I can imagine the Lewis penalty/restock situation could easily prompt a rule change. Potentially, if you are willing to give up one race in the middle of the season, you can run twice as many power units as the competition.

I could see that being abused. I think its kinda honest this time, because Lewis did seem to have a lot of unexpected mechanicals in the first few races, but still...

Hal
Hal UltraDork
8/27/16 3:21 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Hal wrote:
One pretty slow timed lap was what he did.

Now the question is: Start at the back of the grid or from pit road?

Commentators were making a good case for pit road.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/27/16 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

The penalty used to be worse, but was changed last year for Honda. Button had a 70 grid spot penalty in Mexico last year.

It's one thing when the new guy needs help, it's another when THE dominant team does....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/27/16 3:29 p.m.
Hal wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Hal wrote:
One pretty slow timed lap was what he did.
Now the question is: Start at the back of the grid or from pit road? Commentators were making a good case for pit road.

Didn't listen to their points, but I'm torn. If it was projected to be questionable weather, for sure. Then again, Lewis has plenty of speed to catch up, and the odds of a first corner incident is quite high.

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YPPgZSGwWAwoUw4gFGp2HTk6Rij83zE7Em8EMB4N1p3m2q1dlqjcuSfBmrNjbqCu