1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
5/14/17 8:40 p.m.
759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/14/17 8:49 p.m.

The Iceman cometh and quiet all the naysayers while bringing smiles to his adoring throng .....young and old alike more Kimi is a good thing....always!

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/17/17 7:14 a.m.

Yes nice PR move for Ferrari and F1. I think Arrivabene has a feel for this kind of stuff and instills that in his team. Build the passion, the emotion and the rest will be a bit easier. His PR staff must have listened and followed the spirit. They didn't show it but the little boy's mom was crying more than him and even was holding the kid up for a better camera shot of his crying at one point.

Nice work for a SPORTS team.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/17/17 7:33 a.m.

MB seem to be doing well but keep talking about issues with the car. I wonder how much their engineer leaving affected them. Over target weight, unable to keep the tires in their optimal performance area, engine problems poping up here and there. They are still getting it done but I wonder how things would have turned out if Max, I don't care who is inside of the corner from me, Verstappen didn't for the second or third time fail to leave room inside of the corner. Thus pushing Raikkonen and Bottas together and ending all of their races effectively.

Force India are doing SOO well in the points. I think there is a feeling that it is more due to luck of the races and attrition ahead. But I am thinking they are doing very well. Like the one year that Jordan was in it for the championship in 1999, this may be their year if they can get ahead of the tired red bull.

I wish there was a better team for Perez but like Hamilton the McLaren team dynamic didn't work for Perez and I don't see Ferrari providing the environment for him to work there either. I think he is probably going to be done for. But then maybe these years at Force India have built up his personal shielding skills to survive the Italian team.

Stroll, Palmer, Vandoorne - Wow they are doing so poorly it is almost boggling to think how they made it into F1. I usually give them time to develop but wow. I guess I need to go watch old rookie year footage of Verstappen, Ricciardo, Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, etc to get better perspective.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/27/17 9:40 a.m.
ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/28/17 10:46 a.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/28/17 1:59 p.m.

Kimi may have come in second, but in my book, the dude that gets to kiss the Princes of Monaco has major scoreboard!!!! I think I kinda saw a bit of a smirk from Kimi during the exchange

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
5/28/17 2:21 p.m.

Ferrari effed Kimi. Effe Ferrari!!!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/28/17 2:39 p.m.

If Kimi had speed, he wouldn't have lost the position, because he would have been far enough ahead of Seb it wouldn't have made a difference.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/28/17 2:50 p.m.

Can't blame Vettel. Whoever pits first kinda gets screwed a little in that scenario. Vettel was left with a clear track, rattled off some quick laps, and took the lead. Someone had to finish 2nd, and it's a much better result for Kimi than last year.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
5/28/17 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Kimi had speed. Ferrari screwed him! Kimi was the better driver all weekend and certainly deserved it. A lot more than Seb did!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/28/17 3:51 p.m.
markwemple wrote: In reply to Streetwiseguy: Kimi had speed. Ferrari screwed him! Kimi was the better driver all weekend and certainly deserved it. A lot more than Seb did!

He had speed Saturday. I never saw much on Sunday.

Plus, Ferrari needed Seb to max out the points on a bad day for Lewis. Everybody from Jackie Stewart on down said they would make Kimi pull over for Seb. As it worked out, they didn't need to...because Kimi couldn't pull a gap when he was leading. Seb had no trouble gaining a second a lap.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
5/28/17 4:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Plus, Ferrari needed Seb to max out the points on a bad day for Lewis. Everybody from Jackie Stewart on down said they would make Kimi pull over for Seb.

QFT. The team is looking at the year end points. That was a good opportunity to get a big points gap on Lewis.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
5/28/17 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Right. It had nothing to do with protecting whinning shiny happy person's lead.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
6/9/17 11:26 a.m.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/9/17 2:05 p.m.

If McLaren gets a Merc engine for next year, maybe. If a ride opens up somewhere in a good team and management of that team is willing to forgive, he's gone.

Neither of those happen, he is in Indycars or prototypes next year.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/11/17 3:46 p.m.

Nice start, Ferrari...

Piece of cake for Lewis, lots of really fun stuff from about third down.

And Lance scored points. First Canadian not named Villeneuve to ever score points.

wae
wae Dork
6/11/17 5:17 p.m.

When, at lap 60 or so, the NBC commentators mentioned that Alonso was going to bring home the first points of the year I shouted at the TV "Don't count Honda out! They've got 10 whole laps to fail!"

Sometimes I don't particularly like being right...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/11/17 10:47 p.m.

And the Merc engines for McLaren rumours are really picking up now.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
6/12/17 6:36 a.m.

Great race this weekend. I know some people want multiple passes for the lead but I liked what I saw. I found it very interesting how hard of a time they gave Perez given that many other drivers have refused to let their team mate by. Seemed like the NBC broadcast team took it personal this time.

The run by Vettel up to 4th was impressive. I liked how Hamilton controlled the race from the front. Bottas I assumed would catch him up eventually but that never happened.

One thing different this race. I couldn't understand any of the driver radio. Usually I may have a hard time with one or the the other but it seemed flipped as I only understood maybe two of them.

Verstappen and Ricciardo both got very good starts. I don't think Max would have held onto 2nd or third but he didn't have the chance.

As far as Honda goes. I understand the frustration but I hope they and McLaren stick it out until next year. Renault has been struggling for just about as much time and they have been in the series for a long time now since the last reentry. BMW struggled, Toyota Struggled. This is hard stuff this F1. Maybe they should just buy McLaren to make them fall in line. Anyhow I wonder if they are suffering some modelling issue that I think Ferrari had with their wind tunnel?? I think they realized after making a the car that something was off with the wind tunnel to real life calibration. Honda is off base and maybe one of their key measurement tools is off as they keep going further off.

Go Hamilton, I was there for his first win. Feels weird that it was 10 years ago now.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/12/17 7:31 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: As far as Honda goes. I understand the frustration but I hope they and McLaren stick it out until next year. Renault has been struggling for just about as much time and they have been in the series for a long time now since the last reentry. BMW struggled, Toyota Struggled. This is hard stuff this F1. Maybe they should just buy McLaren to make them fall in line. Anyhow I wonder if they are suffering some modelling issue that I think Ferrari had with their wind tunnel?? I think they realized after making a the car that something was off with the wind tunnel to real life calibration. Honda is off base and maybe one of their key measurement tools is off as they keep going further off.

This is season 3 with Honda. How much longer should they wait?

Sure, Renault had many issues with the current formula, but they made faster progress than Honda has. If they had the same progress that Renault had, they'd surely be regularly putting both cars into the top 10 this season.

This isn't struggling anymore, this is more incompetence. When you have a choice between being fast enough to be 15-11th by virtue of the speed OR the engine breaks, and it's not really changed as much as it should have after 3 seasons- the breaking point has to be coming really soon. And when you put the stated optimism from Honda in the off season- that puts MORE emphasis on incompetence- given that it appears they have no real clue what the problem is.

And I also don't really see it as a car problem- McLaren has always had good areo designers, perhaps not as good a Red Bull, but at least equal to Mercedes. It's not the car- it's the powertrain. IMHO, if Honda bought the team, and then forced them into the "Honda way"- I see that lasting 1-2 seasons flailing at the back of the grid before they would have to be bought out. Lets not forget the last time Honda had a team they ran- BAR Honda was never really that good- and once they let go of the team, and the team got Mercedes power, the very low budget (relatively speaking) team instantly won a World Championship. And the remains were so good that Mercedes bought them.

I had lots of hope for Honda, but instead I've lot a massive amount of respect.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
6/12/17 7:45 a.m.

The engine disparity is an easy fix, just introduce a satellite/factory team system like MotoGP and permit satellite teams to run more kg/hour of fuel. More kg/hour=more power=more rpm. For those who don't know, MotoGP allows teams to declare themselves as a satellite team which gives them some concessions such as fuel capacity, engines used per season and tire compounds. They lose their satellite status once the get a few too many podiums.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/12/17 7:51 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon:

At this point, it seems as if Honda was allowed to flow more fuel and make more power, the end result would be engine failures coming earlier in the races.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/12/17 8:18 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Lets not forget the last time Honda had a team they ran- BAR Honda was never really that good- and once they let go of the team, and the team got Mercedes power, the very low budget (relatively speaking) team instantly won a World Championship. And the remains were so good that Mercedes bought them. I had lots of hope for Honda, but instead I've lot a massive amount of respect.

To be fair, the only reason Jenson won the WDC that year was because of the double diffuser.

IIRC, he didn't win again after the first 7-8 races once the other teams caught up on development.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/12/17 9:19 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Lets not forget the last time Honda had a team they ran- BAR Honda was never really that good- and once they let go of the team, and the team got Mercedes power, the very low budget (relatively speaking) team instantly won a World Championship. And the remains were so good that Mercedes bought them. I had lots of hope for Honda, but instead I've lot a massive amount of respect.
To be fair, the only reason Jenson won the WDC that year was because of the double diffuser. IIRC, he didn't win again after the first 7-8 races once the other teams caught up on development.

I realize that, but it seemed to take an exit from Honda to come up with that kind of creativity. Which is more my point. Let alone the issue that Honda's engines were not exactly competitive at the time. Not as bad as now, but no where near Mercedes or Ferrari.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AxQyEaeRNRQPd9dHsn1Wnu5ERyWsNm2mf2pB6H67a7FJsb1LDqKe8ywrHNVVMP4E