06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
5/24/18 12:15 p.m.

Red bull quickest in practice at Monaco

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44240863

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
5/24/18 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson : It's hard for me to imagine F1 even with budget constraints not having 1 or 2 teams have a shot at the constructors and drivers championship. Other then spending less money what are we truly getting out of a budget cap?

Hybrid and / or battery pack I don't like them at all, nor do I understand the manufacturers interest. When a synthetic fuel could be developed for all current engines on the road, and they can actually market from Race to your car.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/24/18 1:02 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

The electrification makes the investment more than just an advertising exercise.  At least it should.  The previous engine, and much of the current engines bear no real application in the real world, and that really matters when the investment is as large as it is to go racing.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/24/18 1:08 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson : It's hard for me to imagine F1 even with budget constraints not having 1 or 2 teams have a shot at the constructors and drivers championship. Other then spending less money what are we truly getting out of a budget cap?

Hybrid and / or battery pack I don't like them at all, nor do I understand the manufacturers interest. When a synthetic fuel could be developed for all current engines on the road, and they can actually market from Race to your car.

The interest is making the cars more efficient to deal with gov't regs and public perception of automobiles needing to do less damage to the environment.

There was an example just in this thread a few pages back, because of the enormous resources to the top teams, when add to bring aero data for the 2019 reg changes, the big teams had something like 4x the amount of data as Force India. 

I don't understand your reference about car manufacturers developing, marketing, distributing synthetic fuel as a way to grow their brands. 

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
5/26/18 8:30 a.m.

Max isn’t looking much better than Kvyat at this rate.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/18 6:50 p.m.

Just watched Spain last night. How much longer will Red Bull put up with Verstappen playing bumper cars? Has he had a race this year without trashing part of a car? And of course, he just hit a wall during practice all on his own in Monaco and lost any chance of a podium. He'll be lucky to score points. I just hope he doesn't take anyone else out.

Maybe the Red Bull mechanics should make him repair his own car.

Well done Ricciardo, though! 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
5/27/18 2:01 a.m.

On ABC so I guess I'll watch. Maybe. More interested in the 5 later. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
5/27/18 2:05 a.m.

Every time I hear the name Verstappen  my mind goes back to a junior formula write up of Jos in Motoring News and his budget struggles. Coulda been.smiley

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/27/18 11:04 a.m.

Max only hit one other car and didn't knock either out of the race, so I guess that's an improvement. 

Interesting race with the evolving strategies. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/27/18 12:58 p.m.
stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/27/18 3:12 p.m.

I'm watching the replay of Monaco now, it's the first F1 race I've seen this season.  What's with those weird halo things in front of the cockpit?  I assume they're safety devices to protect the driver's head in a crash?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/27/18 3:27 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Yep. Driver protection. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/27/18 3:32 p.m.

F1 started talking about halos right after Massa got hit in the head by an errant spring.

Keith Tanner
5/27/18 6:30 p.m.

A real bummer to see Leclerc and Hartley both get taken out with a single mechanical. Leclerc did a great job trying to stay clear and minimize the damage, but there are limits to what you can do.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
5/27/18 6:33 p.m.

I really hope Smiley gets picked up by the red or silver team next year. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/18 7:07 p.m.

Exploding brake discs is more what I'd expect to see next race in Canada -- Monaco isn't usually that bad.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/27/18 7:18 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

That was such a scary event. I really thought Massa was done

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/27/18 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Bummer for Alonso too. Looking like 7th or 6th and keeping his points scoring finish record going.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/29/18 9:38 a.m.

The race was ok. I really wish Ricciardo didn't have the engine trouble so he could just charge on ahead of Vettel. Seems like Ferrari and MB got the tires wrong completely. Sucks that Ocon couldn't get up to Bottas and really give him a race. Somehow he just faded away. He did his best to just let them go by after pit stops and focus on his own race strategy. That is good work by Ocon. Both Ocon, LeClerc, and Gasly have shown themselves to be ready for more. Sainz has been ready. Vandorne I thought was going to be super strong against Alonso but I guess I was very wrong. 

There are times where we have very good drivers but not enough seats and I think this is one of them. If Honda can come on song then maybe Williams/RedBull/Torro Rosso using Honda can put one of them back up with MB and Ferrari. Renault Factory team should be there by next year I hope. 

Interesting pit strategies all the way through the field. 

All and all a good race behind the top 6 or so. Sainz/Hulk/max battle was very interesting. Sainz did a perfect job of lifting just enough to let Hulk pass him and keep max behind. Haas have totally squandered their changes to earn points up to this point. I thought they were going to be in the thick of it this year and in this race. 

Keith Tanner
5/29/18 10:24 a.m.

I don't think Ferrari and MB got the tires wrong completely. They've built cars that are biased to a certain type of track, and that means they don't work very well on some of the outliers. Mercedes was saying at the start of the week that they were basically writing this one off. RB built a car that works really well on this track. That's why Max did so well - he was in the fastest chassis on the track and taking out the bottom feeder cars. It's easy for a top three team driver to work their way up to 6th place, we see that fairly often. The hard part is getting past the other five drivers.

Sainz did a great job of keeping Max behind, that was a slick move.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/29/18 1:42 p.m.

It surprised me a little that Max, on fresh Hypers, was unable to pass Carlos and fight with Nico.  I enjoyed the race because I like watching Ricciardo and want to see him succeed.  It also surprised me a little that the pace of the front was so significantly slower than the pace at the back.  At one point, I think it was 4-5 seconds.  Would have thought Seb and Lewis could have pushed a bit further onto Daniel's diffuser and made it exciting from a competition standpoint.  Notwithstanding the difficulty of passing around Monaco or the lack of a real straightaway to leverage the extra ~160hp the redbull was missing.  

Disappointed, again, by the poor showing by Haas.  I truly don't think Grosjean will be back next year.  His attitude is getting toxic again.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/29/18 1:46 p.m.
stylngle2003 said:

It surprised me a little that Max, on fresh Hypers, was unable to pass Carlos and fight with Nico. 

I got the impression from the post race interview that he knew damn well he'd better not punt anybody doing something stupid, or he'd be kicking his lunchpail down the street.  I think he did pretty well getting to where he was, but at the end of the race, it was a train from 6th to 10th, so everyone had DRS, everyone was being cautious.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 7:02 a.m.

Wow, this thread was dormant for a while.  

And this news really isn't about 2018, as much as it's about 2019 and beyond- Red Bull switches to Honda power- https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136852/red-bull-announces-2019-honda-engine-deal

Not shocking news, since RBR has been not happy with Renault for a while.  But it is interesting- and will be fascinating if Aston Martin still gets any kind of billing on the car.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
6/19/18 7:26 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Excellent.  Now let's see Danny Ric replace Kimi at the red purse gang and all will be right in the world.

It will pain me to see Red Bull with Honda beat McLaren with Renault though.  Unfortunately I can see that happening.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

It does seem that McLaren's issues are far, far, far deeper than the engine.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YflTLUbcMnTIWHAXyVWHRSx15bhQpuExSjfp0WGAgVN5KqcucvWZY9Wok8BC4cNo