1 ... 39 40 41 42
codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/25/18 11:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Here's your history wink 

Bah, that was 40 years after the first car race, which was open wheel. :)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/18 6:51 a.m.

Can we talk about 3rd-5th in the driver's championship? Kimi gets podium and 1 point back is Mad Max and then another point to Bottas. I think that shows how good Kimi is considering how much of a duck the Ferrari was this year compared to how dominant the Merc was.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/26/18 8:04 a.m.
Javelin said:

Can we talk about 3rd-5th in the driver's championship? Kimi gets podium and 1 point back is Mad Max and then another point to Bottas. I think that shows how good Kimi is considering how much of a duck the Ferrari was this year compared to how dominant the Merc was.

Sorry.  I'll grant you that for a large part of the season Ferrari made strategy calls that hampered Kimi, but the Merc wasn't always the fastest car.  I'd say that the Ferrari was the better car at least half the time,possibly more.  Hamilton just raised his game to a new level this year.  He's probably driving the best he ever has.  Bottas isn't a bad driver.  He's a top quality race winner.  Remember last year he won three races.  This year he's been hampered by luck and circumstances.  Baku was his, then he had a puncture.  He was told to let Lewis by in Russia.  That's two rightfully earned wins he's lost. Add in China where a poorly timed (for him) safety car and some others.  He performance has been far from sub par.  Now, in the second half of the season I really think being forced to play wing man has hurt him mentally.  I hope this winter he can get his mental game back on track or we will certainly be seeing Ocon in the car by mid season.

Kimi was driving really well this year and was certainly hindered by strategy calls to try and aid Vettle, but he also had the fastest car for at least half the races.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/26/18 9:35 a.m.

This may not be directly F1, but it's a feel good story about single seaters.  Remember the British guy Billy Monger who lost both legs in an F4 race last year?  Well he's hoping to compete in FIA F3 next year.  Here is his emergency exit test.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1067045080173813760

wae
wae SuperDork
11/26/18 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I've got both my legs and I don't think I could get out of that car that fast!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/26/18 10:21 a.m.

That was pretty impressive. Also notice that the steering wheel wasn't removed either. Is that part of the emergency exit test is that the steering wheel has to remain in place?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/26/18 12:16 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

Wonder if F1 will finally release their super cool online app...... 

-Rob

Yes - fingers crossed for a live streaming option, although I've gotten by well enough with the recap videos on YouTube.  Most of the time, I don't know who won until the video is posted anyway.

2019 should be good.  And I agree it'll be fun to see Kimi in DGAF-mode again.  Maybe younger blood will push Vettel more, but I get the feeling he'll miss Kimi. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/18 12:44 p.m.

ESPN's online streaming and uninterrupted coverage (thank you Mothers!) has me watching all the races that way. 

The Seb/Leclerc dynamic could be really interesting. I think Renault will be fun to watch, too. I'm hoping Daniel is able to upset the applecart occasionally.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
11/26/18 12:57 p.m.

Is there a YouTube channel etc  that does a good  10-15 minute review of the race with all "the good stuff "  included ?

at one time there was something like this for Nascar so you did not have to watch it for 3 hours !

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/18 1:21 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Is there a YouTube channel etc  that does a good  10-15 minute review of the race with all "the good stuff "  included ?

at one time there was something like this for Nascar so you did not have to watch it for 3 hours !

F1 has it's own Youtube channel that does exactly that, though the reviews are usually more like 5-7 minutes, depending on how much stuff happens in the race. That's how I've "watched" the last few races, TBH.

Keith Tanner
11/26/18 1:21 p.m.

Channel 4 in the UK shows a really nicely edited "highlights" recap that's about an hour. If you're not watching the lap counter, it's easy to miss the cuts.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
11/26/18 1:43 p.m.

Did anybody see any Alonso/Jimmy car swap coverage? From what I read on Racer Jimmy was impressive.

Edit: Found it https://youtu.be/6-pAxfbZRIU

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/26/18 2:35 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

ESPN's online streaming and uninterrupted coverage (thank you Mothers!) has me watching all the races that way. 

The Seb/Leclerc dynamic could be really interesting. I think Renault will be fun to watch, too. I'm hoping Daniel is able to upset the applecart occasionally.

Does the ESPN streaming require a cable/DirectTV log-in?  That requirement is often what squashes network streaming.

F1's YouTube channel isn't bad.  Besides the race highlights, they also do a qualifying highlights as well as post-race interviews - the latter videos can be pretty extensive.  Then there's the Autosport channel for talking-head analysis of he races and general F1 news.

NASCAR used to have race highlight videos on their website, but I haven't looked in awhile.  

In reply to trigun7469 :

They said the same thing when Jeff Gordon and Montoya did a similar swap.  Granted, Gordon came from an open wheel background, so it might have been a little more expected, but love or hate NASCAR, there is no arguing about the talent of the drivers - they know what they're doing even if they jump into an unfamiliar car.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/26/18 2:54 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

racers are racers.

And while I don't like NASCAR, I also think that 1) their drivers are incredibly under-rated.  Because 2) their cars are incredibly hard to drive.  With those small of tires, that much weight, and so little tire- they are in a drift 100% of the time, you just can't see it.  And the balance of driving it takes to do that is amazing.

So I think it's a lot easier to go from a NASCAR to an open wheel car vs. the other way around.  The only racer who has been near the top of the open wheel ranks and done well in NASCAR has been Tony Stewart.  Others have had some success, but he's won a lot.  In both.  And lest we forget, an F1 champ didn't get too far in NASCAR before he came back to F1.

Jeff Gordon did really well in a Williams BMW and Tony did really well in a McLaren- better than most thought.

Doesn't make NASCAR any more watchable to me, but I very much admire what they are doing.

Keith Tanner
11/26/18 3:06 p.m.
Ian F said:
Keith Tanner said:

Does the ESPN streaming require a cable/DirectTV log-in?  That requirement is often what squashes network streaming.

I believe it does. I have a set of in-laws with a Dish subscription so that gets me the ESPN stream. It's likely possible to subscribe to it directly as well.

codrus
11/26/18 4:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Ian F said:
Keith Tanner said:

I believe it does. I have a set of in-laws with a Dish subscription so that gets me the ESPN stream. It's likely possible to subscribe to it directly as well.

It does.  I don't think you can subscribe to it directly -- keep in mind that ESPN's customers (as in, the people who write them checks) are cable companies, and those companies do NOT want you to cut them out and go to the content source directly via streaming.  The purchase contracts for the cable companies do not allow ESPN/etc to sell to the consumer directly.

I'm of mixed feelings about the online app.  Compared to watching the DirecTV feed on my DVR, it often has better quality video.  OTOH, the UI is terrible (at least on the XboxOne app that I'm using).  It won't pause/FF/RW a live stream, so if you miss the beginning of the race then you either start in the middle or you wait til the end and stream it as a previous show.  It also forgets where you were if you accidentally stop the video (easy to do with the poor UI), and trying to FF to the middle of the show takes a long time.   Finally, it's constantly forgetting about my DirecTV subscription, so pretty much every time I try to use it I have to re-authenticate on the ESPN web site.  Early on that process was buggy and would require multiple attempts to get it ot complete, although I haven't had that problem the last couple months.

Keith Tanner
11/26/18 4:16 p.m.

It definitely needs some work. I use it with an AppleTV and it somehow prevents the thing from going into screensaver mode. It is really easy to FF to a certain spot with the AppleTV so that gets around the "not saving your place" problem to some extent, but it would be better if it did remember. Mine's never lost the authentication but the Apple has a pretty good global setup that way. My biggest complaint is the way the app always launches with some sort of live crap playing, making a lot of noise I'm not interested in and assuming that college football is what I'm after instead of F1.

I guess it's never bothered me that I can't pause/rewind a live broadcast because I'm old :) 

Looks like ESPN+ solves the "pause live stream" problem and takes standalone subscriptions: https://plus.espn.com/. $5/month, so that averages out to about $2.50 per race.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/27/18 7:49 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

racers are racers.

And while I don't like NASCAR, I also think that 1) their drivers are incredibly under-rated.  Because 2) their cars are incredibly hard to drive.  With those small of tires, that much weight, and so little tire- they are in a drift 100% of the time, you just can't see it.  And the balance of driving it takes to do that is amazing.

So I think it's a lot easier to go from a NASCAR to an open wheel car vs. the other way around.  The only racer who has been near the top of the open wheel ranks and done well in NASCAR has been Tony Stewart.  Others have had some success, but he's won a lot.  In both.  And lest we forget, an F1 champ didn't get too far in NASCAR before he came back to F1.

Jeff Gordon did really well in a Williams BMW and Tony did really well in a McLaren- better than most thought.

Doesn't make NASCAR any more watchable to me, but I very much admire what they are doing.

So here's an decent article about the swap and fun lapping day- https://www.motorsport.com/us/f1/news/alonso-impressed-johnson-car-swap/4304653/

The McLaren was a 2013 version, one that Jensen Button and Sergio Perez drove.  Alonso took it out a few times to set a benchmark, and Johnson came within .2 seconds of that time.   No mention of how well Alonso did in the Cup car.  But, once again, we see that NASCAR drivers are pretty darned good, in spite of the constant left turning nature of their racing.  If not for the money in Cup racing, more Americans may find their way into big time open wheel racing.  Alas, I don't see that changing any time soon.  

Keith Tanner
11/27/18 8:48 a.m.

One thing about roundy round racing - the cars are constantly cornering. A NASCAR driver might only turn left, but he’s ALWAYS turning left :)

codrus
11/27/18 1:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I guess it's never bothered me that I can't pause/rewind a live broadcast because I'm old :) 

You clearly don't have kids bopping around the house interrupting your F1 watching. :)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/28/18 12:44 p.m.

I presume this order doesn't mean a great deal in the real world, but it's still interesting.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/28/leclerc-ends-2018-f1-testing-on-top-for-ferrari/

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/28/18 1:42 p.m.
codrus said:

You clearly don't have kids bopping around the house interrupting your F1 watching. :)

I do, plus grand kid.  I've just given up on the concept of live sporting events and make do with watching after the fact.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/29/18 8:18 a.m.

Really liked this season. Three teams in the fight. Several mid a lower field battles. Heck watching Sauber climb up was very interesting. 

Hamilton looks to be set for tight battle next year. Who knows which team will get the new aero regulations design sweet spot. The power units are now all close. Renault reliability needs a step up though. MB will probably be the ones to beat again. They have proven to rebound from mistakes early in the season. Ferrari didn't.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/29/18 11:48 a.m.

The aero changes will be interesting.  I'm trying to figure out whether Red Bull stands to suffer or gain- They currently have the best aero package, so will they lose more, or will their overall package suffer less than the others?

I will also be interested to see whether Lewis and team can drag the Merc to the front again.  I still think Merc was the second best car for a lot of this past season.  Best team, though.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
11/29/18 12:50 p.m.

I look at the current driver lineup and only see Mercedes having a clear #1 & #2 driver. Perhaps at Renault Daniel is the #1 driver, but that car hasn't shown the pace to be within the top 3. Lewis has got 2019 in the bag, I just imagine the fights between Vettel Vs. Leclerc & Max Vs. Gasly, effecting the top 3 teams. This may open the door to some of the Midfield teams. It will probably keep it interesting, if Mclaren can bring the fight, Williams rebound, and if Honda can be a legitimate contender and not lean on a good chassis.

1 ... 39 40 41 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FKMLROwcaQ4hlGk0ZpI3EqCAHrg5Yc0f9t9af9BXMuR55oGiZOEiaPxj0eE1KEwQ