1 2 3 4 ... 46
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 12:59 p.m.
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/13/19 1:00 p.m.

That is an assault on my eyes. Stings the nostrils.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 1:40 p.m.

There will be no confusing the Red Bull’s and Torro Rossos this year! Wow. 

All the liveries so far are quite distinctive, I like that. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/13/19 1:44 p.m.

I think the Red Bull livery is just for the reveal and/or maybe preseason testing, but not the actual livery for the season.

I've thought Toro Rosso looked better than Red Bull for a few years now.

Javelin
2/13/19 2:26 p.m.
759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/13/19 8:35 p.m.

just wonderin' what are the current hp #'s for this year .....ball parkish???

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/14/19 6:24 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Slightly more than last year- I think they are just developing what they have.  The interesting rule change is an extra 5kg of fuel allowed.  And one analysis has Mercedes finding even more efficiency, which suggests that they will start the race with a 5kg weight advantage....

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/14/19 7:48 a.m.

Williams ROKiT Livery

stroker
stroker UltraDork
2/14/19 7:57 a.m.
Javelin said:

Racing Point's 2019 F1 car

Somehow I don't think that's what Colin Chapman had in mind when he suggested allowing sponsorship...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/14/19 8:26 a.m.
stroker said:
Javelin said:

Racing Point's 2019 F1 car

Somehow I don't think that's what Colin Chapman had in mind when he suggested allowing sponsorship...

You guys know that's less pink than it was last year, right?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/14/19 8:44 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Slightly more than last year- I think they are just developing what they have.  The interesting rule change is an extra 5kg of fuel allowed.  And one analysis has Mercedes finding even more efficiency, which suggests that they will start the race with a 5kg weight advantage....

IIRC the speculation last year was that engines, without the 160hp electric boost, were in the neighborhood of 900hp.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
2/14/19 9:08 a.m.
84FSP said:

Williams ROKiT Livery

I presume you're aware that is a fan design and not what Williams actually launched?

wae
wae SuperDork
2/14/19 9:16 a.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 10:20 a.m.
T.J. said:

I think the Red Bull livery is just for the reveal and/or maybe preseason testing, but not the actual livery for the season.

Alas, that seems to be the case. It'll be another Illustrator-driven monstrosity again.

I'm surprised Williams hasn't released any studio shots of their car, the reveal shots are really badly lit to show the car off.

The teal swoop on the Mercedes is really nicely done, that's how you use a graphic element to show off the shape of your car!

McLaren. Not enormously attractive, but distinctive.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/15/19 7:12 a.m.

So how's this for a front wing...  Who says innovation is dead?

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/19 7:24 a.m.

Maybe it's a decoy forcing all of the other teams to tie up CFD resources trying to figure out if there is an advantage there or not.

Autosport has been doing some pretty good videos with a nice detailed look at each car as they are released, I'll admit I haven't watched the Alfa one yet but the McLeran one was particularly good as they had direct access to the car.

Adam

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/15/19 7:51 a.m.
red_stapler said:
84FSP said:

Williams ROKiT Livery

I presume you're aware that is a fan design and not what Williams actually launched?

Argh - I am aware now.  That's a shame as I liked it.

Javelin
2/15/19 9:44 a.m.
Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
2/17/19 11:20 a.m.

Tomorrow is the first day on track. 

I guess we will get all the conjecture and guessing as the teams run their "programs." When I do get to see footage I find I can get a feel from the body language if a team is happy or not. 

Williams need to be fighting for 3rd this year. I guess I need them to be. I like them as a team now that McLaren has changed into something I just don't like anymore. 

As much as I despise Red bull I am a Honda F1 fan so I hope they are in the fight.

I think this is finally the year I think MB could not be the number 1 team. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/19 11:53 a.m.

Anybody planning on going to any of the races this year? I've got my tickets to Singapore and may go up to another race. I haven't decided yet. Really interested to see what Danny can do with Renault. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/19/19 11:28 a.m.

Singapore is an awesome race -I went in 17 and it was fantastic.  I'm shooting for Canada this year and maybe an Asian/European race if I can align work schedules.

Saw this and giggled.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/19 1:44 p.m.

This showed up in my in box so just passing it along:

WHAT’S NEW WITH PIRELLI’S 2019 FORMULA 1 TIRES?

Barcelona, February 18, 2019 – This year will be the ninth season of the current Pirelli era, and during each of those years the tire range has always been different from one season to the next. So, what can we expect that’s new from the latest range of tires – which make their debut on the 2019 cars in Barcelona this week?

THREE COLOURS, FIVE COMPOUNDS

There will be only three colors at each 2019 race: white for the hardest compound of the weekend, yellow for the medium one, and red for the softest compound. In total, there will be five compounds available for the year: they are numbered from 1 to 5, going from hardest to softest. As all five compounds are on track at the pre-season test in Barcelona, the hardest (C1) and the softest (C5) compounds won’t carry the usual stripes during the test. Compounds C2, C3 and C4 will instead carry the usual branding with stripes: colored white, yellow and red respectively. This will only happen during tests: for grand prix weekends there will be just three compounds at each race.

PROTOTYPES FOR TESTING

There will also be some tires that don’t carry any markings at all: these will be prototype tires that will be seen during tests only to assess potential evolutions for the future. There is a bespoke test schedule currently being finalised for 2020, which will involve all the teams in a series of sessions this year. Details of this schedule will be released shortly.

DIFFERENT TEMPERATURES AND PRESSURES

A new move for this year is to reduce the maximum temperature of the tire blankets at the rear to 80 degrees centigrade, while the front tire blanket temperature will remain at the current 100 degrees centigrade. This will help front tire warm-up, and also reduce the risk of graining: especially in low ambient temperatures. As a result, the starting pressures of the rear tires have been reduced accordingly.

THINNER TREADS

There was a thinner tread used at selected races last year, which featured new asphalt. This was designed to prevent overheating, with the objective successfully achieved. As a result, a similar tread reduction has been adopted for all the 2019 tires. The tire constructions will therefore be exactly the same at every race this year.

NEW INTERMEDIATE AND WET

There’s a brand new intermediate tire for this year, which is designed to cover a wider range of conditions than its predecessor. This makes for a much more effective crossover point with both the slick and the full wet tires, as well as improved performance in the wet. The full wet tire is also entirely new, with a redesigned profile that offers greater resistance to aquaplaning and better drivability in heavy rain.

NO WET BACK-UPS

Last year, two parallel ranges of wet and intermediate tires were homologated: one for higher temperatures and one for lower temperatures. This year, the tires have been made more versatile so there is no need to have two ranges: there’s only one intermediate tire and one full wet tire for the whole year.

WIDER WORKING RANGES

The working ranges are a bit higher for this year in order to reduce the potential for overheating. This ensures that overall there is a wider operating window as well.

C1 110-140°C

C2 110-135°C

C3 105-135°C

C4 90-120°C

C5 85-115°C

(C1 the hardest compound, C5 the softest)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/19/19 2:44 p.m.

Just watching a blog of a kind of F1 insider (he used to work for McLaren, but does know people who still work...)

Sounds like Honda still has problems.  I did not know this- but one of the big reasons McLaren had an issue was a bad vibration, that limited the amount of peak power.  Apparently, that's still a feature in their engine.  surprise

79rex
79rex New Reader
2/19/19 7:56 p.m.

i really want honda to do well as id like to see red bull compete again to create a three team race.  But if this vibration problem is still around, im just not sure they can fix it.  if honda does not produce itll be very intresting to see what red bull does.  They have no where else to turn for an engine. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/20/19 7:07 a.m.

Raikkonen knocks Vettel of the top of the time sheets this morning by half a second.  I know it's just testing, so it's not indicative of what things will be like come race time, but still cool to see him up there.  I just hope the Alfa's are fast enough for Raikonnen to bug the snot out of the leaders and keep it in the mix.

Williams still hasn't turned a lap......  Not very promising for the year.  :(

-Rob

1 2 3 4 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LoPonhIKGfZNUXnbhK5b4ilOY9ENIQbNbEJKL6Uze3onYr0AYPIQeD98qADl5B7W