1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/23/19 3:28 p.m.

I know there are at least two or three of you here!

I’m still on the fence about selling the V and buying one.

I suppose my biggest concerns are:

1. Reliability. I’m looking at 2017/2018’s only because the HG issue scares the E36 M3 out of me. It’s great that ford “fixed the issue,” but I’m wondering how much damage was already done to the 16’s before they threw HG’s on them. Also wondering if there’s a magical production month on the 17’s where the correct gasket was installed from the factory?

2. I’m a pretty tall dude with tall kids. The former doesn’t concern me at all as the car fits me like a glove, but I worry about the 4 year old’s legs getting pinched behind me.

3. I’m kinda spoiled driving a low-12-second DD. Have y’all done any performance mods to your DD’s? I don’t expect to hit low 12s/high 11s cheap, but I think I’d be content with mid-12s if it’s attainable with a tune on 93 octane & inake(?)/exhaust (I’d do the exhaust regardless.)

I’m seriously considering an 18 just to get the LSD. And also for the “this year only” factor, if I can actually keep my AADD under control and hang onto the thing for 15+ years.

Chime in, please?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 3:59 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Aren't they pretty unimpressive acceleration-wise stock, like 14 second quarters?  To go from a high 13 to a mid 12 is a huge step for a car that already has good traction.

poopshovel again
4/23/19 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Low-mid 13’s according to those “other” magazines. It’s not slow. I was smitten when I test drove one. Also noticebaly, expectedly more nimble than the V.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 4:19 p.m.

Yeah, they are suited more for mid-range power.  So from a roll they move pretty well.

I've not modded mine for power since its already fast enough for the street (I'm old and traffic is E36 M3 here, so straight line speed doesn't help), just shifter bushings, shift arm and shift lever.  The shifter mods help shorten the throw and improve precision.  I also swapped the cupholders out for the euro-console/cup holders since it is more flexible and has a lid you can close.

The LSD is nice, but keep good pads on it and the non-LSD cars do just fine with the ABS-cum limited slip.  I only had the stock pads start to fade in the last session of a TNiA event at Portland.

I can't speak to the room aspect since I'm 5'8, my wife is fairly short, but both kids are still in rear facing car seats and those fit fine and full size adults still fit behind me in the open rear seat.  The ST is pretty much the same inside, so you could take the fam-damnly down and all pile into one and see how it works.

Knurled.
4/23/19 4:52 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Low-mid 13’s according to those “other” magazines. It’s not slow. I was smitten when I test drove one. Also noticebaly, expectedly more nimble than the V.

The ones that i have seen times posted were in the 13.9 range.  Driver must play a large role in getting a good launch.

Acceleration from zero, of course, is not why one would want the velcro Focus, and I don't mean to imply that.

poopshovel again
4/23/19 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

“Seen” like at the drag strip, or???

C&D says 13.4. MT says 13.3 on Sport Cups. Not that I read that as gospel, but by your own logic 1/2 a second is a pretty big discrepancy.

Knurled.
4/23/19 8:37 p.m.

"Seen" as in posted videos and timeslips.  I remember being somewhat disappointed that the car I lusted after was slower than my POS RX-7 with a bad launch.

I do recognize that getting a good launch from a turbo AWD vehicle is both demanding in driver skill and somewhat abusive to the drivetrain.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 8:44 p.m.

My boss has a FoST and he insists on driving when we go to lunch, so four grown men fit OK.  he’s about 6’2 and lanky, and I typically sit behind him.  I’m 5’9.  

poopshovel again
4/23/19 9:52 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

You’re bigger than that in my mind, FWIW

Stefan
4/23/19 11:28 p.m.
Knurled. said:

"Seen" as in posted videos and timeslips.  I remember being somewhat disappointed that the car I lusted after was slower than my POS RX-7 with a bad launch.

I do recognize that getting a good launch from a turbo AWD vehicle is both demanding in driver skill and somewhat abusive to the drivetrain.

Also, the FoRS AWD only sends a max of 70% of the power to the rear axle, so there is a certain amount of physics to deal with.

That said, they can swallow moar tire, which could help with launches up to the failure point of the system.  Usually this is the clutch or the axles.  A stronger set of motor mounts would be prudent if you plan on doing that very often, to reduce binding up the CV joins with extra movement among other issues.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 7:22 a.m.
Knurled. said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Knurled. :

The ones that i have seen times posted were in the 13.9 range.  Driver must play a large role in getting a good launch.

Acceleration from zero, of course, is not why one would want the velcro Focus, and I don't mean to imply that.

Yeah, probably because people who own them (not journalists) aren't keen on taking a $40k car and just doing multiple 4k clutch drops.

poopshovel again
4/24/19 7:50 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I would gladly be in the minority on that one cheeky

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/19 7:00 p.m.

Poop, I might be interested in your V depending on timing. 

poopshovel again
4/25/19 6:05 a.m.
yupididit said:

Poop, I might be interested in your V depending on timing. 

Cool. Did you send me a message?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/19 6:53 a.m.

I did

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
4/25/19 9:17 a.m.

I have a 16 with 45k on it, and 15k since the headgasket repair, with no additional issues. Im the 2nd owner, and the original owner definitely wasn’t easy on it (he rally crossed it among other things.) 

I’m 5’11 and my 9 and 11 year old have plenty of space in the back. All 16 and 17s are effected by the recall. Only the 18s got the correct gasket from the factory, but I’m personally not fond of the red, and blue was your only other color choice. It’s definitely a mid/low 13 second car, and it has launch control. Activate it, floor the accelerator pedal, and it’ll hold right below 5k, and build a little boost. Dump the clutch and hold on. It’s actually pretty impressive, and it would take a VERY fast car with a good driver to beat one of these off the line. I’m happy with the stock power level (and the accompanying warranty) there are too many tuned horror stories out there, and I can’t afford an engine replacement out of pocket.

My only real (and very minor) complaints are the horrid turning radius, and the unending brake dust that comes from soft pads... you can see why they put dark colored wheels on these! I don’t even mind the ride quality that people complain about. I think it’s actually better than the Fiesta ST I owned prior to this.

With all of that said, it’s the most fun car I’ve ever owned. I’d do it again.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/25/19 9:31 a.m.

A friend of mine bought a used '16 with 30k miles this fall. His already had had the head gasket replaced. The only issue he has had so far was that the exhaust mode valve stuck shortly after he got it. A spritz of PB Blaster and all was good again. He loves the car, and apparently it does quite well in bad weather too. As in, launch control in a foot of powder still jams you back in the seat. I haven't gotten a ride/drive in it, but I'm hoping to.

Another acquaintance of mine (he also created one of the FoRS forums) has one that he has tuned the daylights out of. Intake, intercooler, charge piping, exhaust, tune, etc. I think it made something like 450hp. I haven't seen it in action but I imagine it's probably a ripper. He had the head gasket replaced and has had no issues other than a light oil leak that popped up a year later (valve cover gaket, I believe)

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/19 9:41 a.m.

Former owner here.

I got rid of mine after the head gasket (and head) work in favor of a truck. I had a truck before the car, and while the Focus was a lot of fun, it wasn't as practical as I'd hoped for a hatchback. I'm 5'8" and had real adults ride behind me from time to time, but it was tight.

On the street, I thought the car's performance was too much - I rarely had an opportunity to open it up. It didn't seem right to tiptoe around through traffic with so much untapped potential, and I'm not in the position that allows so much fundage to be tied up in a "nice day" toy.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/25/19 10:09 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

I know there are at least two or three of you here!

I’m still on the fence about selling the V and buying one.

I suppose my biggest concerns are:

1. Reliability. I’m looking at 2017/2018’s only because the HG issue scares the E36 M3 out of me. It’s great that ford “fixed the issue,” but I’m wondering how much damage was already done to the 16’s before they threw HG’s on them. Also wondering if there’s a magical production month on the 17’s where the correct gasket was installed from the factory?

2. I’m a pretty tall dude with tall kids. The former doesn’t concern me at all as the car fits me like a glove, but I worry about the 4 year old’s legs getting pinched behind me.

3. I’m kinda spoiled driving a low-12-second DD. Have y’all done any performance mods to your DD’s? I don’t expect to hit low 12s/high 11s cheap, but I think I’d be content with mid-12s if it’s attainable with a tune on 93 octane & inake(?)/exhaust (I’d do the exhaust regardless.)

I’m seriously considering an 18 just to get the LSD. And also for the “this year only” factor, if I can actually keep my AADD under control and hang onto the thing for 15+ years.

Chime in, please?

Ok, my 2 cents, based on close to 3 years of ownership.

1. Not at all an issue in my case.  The recall went smoothly, and other than that and a minor software update, it's never seen the inside of a shop.  Even with fairly frequent autocrosses, I've had no problems with it.

2. I'm only 5'6", so not much help there, though others have already chimed in on the issue.

3. I'm keeping mine totally stock because of the autocross class I run in, but I'm certainly satisfied with the performance as is.  There are lots of aftermarket solutions that can get you to the performance targets you set, but with the inevitable sacrifice of reliability.

As far as the LSD goes, I'm not seeing that as an issue at all.  Even in extremely slippery conditions like these, I get no wheelspin at all.  The brake-based limited slip controls the front, and the computer sends more power to the rear.  There doesn't seem to be any performance advantage as well; I ran against national competitor Mark Allen in an '18 LE and beat him.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
4/25/19 10:15 a.m.

Matt Farah (theSmokingTire) bought one and wrote quite a few articles about his ownership.  He also did quite few modifications (Motune, suspension, wheels) in an attempt to make it perfect.    

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a25304719/ford-focus-rs-long-term-wrap-up/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/25/19 10:20 a.m.

Checking the Ford site shows these are not longer being made?

Heck, looks like the Focus is entirely gone.

Stefan
4/25/19 10:58 a.m.
aircooled said:

Checking the Ford site shows these are not longer being made?

Heck, looks like the Focus is entirely gone.

Yep, 2016 - 2018 for the US and the Focus itself is no longer available in the US as Ford only sells SUV's, Trucks and Mustangs now.

Stefan
4/25/19 11:01 a.m.
Hoondavan said:

Matt Farah (theSmokingTire) bought one and wrote quite a few articles about his ownership.  He also did quite few modifications (Motune, suspension, wheels) in an attempt to make it perfect.    

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a25304719/ford-focus-rs-long-term-wrap-up/

Does anyone else think he's kind of a tool?  I don't necessarily disagree with some of his thoughts, but he just strikes me as someone I would have the urge to randomly punch in the face if I met him in person.

poopshovel again
4/25/19 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Holy crap that’s delicious. Love the white letter tires!!! I’m torn between white & blue, with blue being the first choice...I think.

poopshovel again
4/25/19 11:07 a.m.
Stefan said:
Hoondavan said:

Does anyone else think he's kind of a tool?  I don't necessarily disagree with some of his thoughts, but he just strikes me as someone I would have the urge to randomly punch in the face if I met him in person.

Lol. I read that article (again) the other night, and agree.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3UQTND62xlOLshNcZ8ZoWR4oyOtL9nzst2zvYsQzLsV9COo0I9roO5sLyS6o8ttK