czracer
czracer New Reader
3/6/11 5:01 p.m.

I hope you all don't mind that i start a new thread. I had an older one running a while back Here, asking for recommendations on a car for myself. I ended up with a 2004 Lexus IS300 Sport Design, with a clean title and only 69K miles on it. I paid $13,900. It is an auto trans with E shift. No LSD, which I hope to add in the next few years. It's got 18" wheels, which I am not crazy about, would prefer a lightweight aluminum wheel over these chromies. It has a set of Cusco coil overs installed as well. Here are a few pics. Thanks again to the forum for your help!

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
3/6/11 5:07 p.m.

I have an '05 5-spd. You'll LOVE it! The only time I hate my car is when I have to fill the tank once a week.

Other than that.

best. car. ever.

czracer
czracer New Reader
3/7/11 12:00 a.m.
johnnytorque wrote: I have an '05 5-spd. You'll LOVE it! The only time I hate my car is when I have to fill the tank once a week. Other than that. best. car. ever.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
3/7/11 5:25 p.m.

I'm in Canada so it's litres per 100 kms. .

I get about 13L/100K combined. I do mostly highway and I drive very conservatively on the highway.

That is close to 18 mpg combined. That is in harsh Can. winter on Pirelli snows.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/7/11 5:29 p.m.

one of my favorite cars....ever. A supra you can put a car seat in. very nice score!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/11 5:45 p.m.

Looks pretty clean from here . Agree on the wheels, though - something less wannabe bling would be nice.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/7/11 5:54 p.m.

If I'm not mistaken, I think those wheels are from the IS350/250. Hopefully they won't be too hard to get rid of.

Like boxhead said, looks clean. Congrats on the new ride.

czracer
czracer New Reader
3/8/11 12:27 a.m.

I just checked my fuel economy, and I got 25 w/my grandpa style driving. I'm loving this car!

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
3/8/11 5:23 a.m.

Yeah, I imagine with an auto and driving like a Grandpa, I would get better mileage. I like fast corners and accelerating quickly, the IS300 and it's 2JZ is WAY too much fun not to flog. I LOVE the handling, coming out of a FWD Honda, I will NEVER go back!

Glad you're loving the car, I can't imagine anybody not liking them.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
3/8/11 10:33 a.m.
johnnytorque wrote: I can't imagine anybody not liking them.

been there, done that.... went back to an AE86 because it uses less gas, and the gas it uses is regular. Besides, I was able to get a 7' xmas tree in the AE86, we never could get that in our Sport Cross(wagon),

paanta
paanta Reader
3/8/11 11:14 a.m.

"... went back to an AE86 because it uses less gas"

This made my day. Only on this forum does someone go from IS300 to an almost 30 year old Corolla.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
3/8/11 11:21 a.m.

^ and prefer it. This is also one of the few forums where I can say minivan, and people are telling me how to turbo it, instead of "that's crap".

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/8/11 11:29 a.m.

I've seen worse wheels. I can't tell if those are chrome or just polished, but I see how they might be heavy.

Congrats on the purchase.

czracer
czracer New Reader
3/8/11 12:11 p.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote: I've seen worse wheels. I can't tell if those are chrome or just polished, but I see how they might be heavy. Congrats on the purchase.

They are definately chrome. I would like to go to a same width wheel all around so I can rotate them...

czracer
czracer New Reader
3/8/11 12:13 p.m.

It seems like there isn't much info on the Cusco coil over system. Anybody have info or thoughts on it?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/11 12:41 p.m.

Don't know much about it, guess it depends as to what sort of info you're looking for.

IME Cusco kit is rather good quality Japanese stuff, not cheap, but generally worth the money.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
3/8/11 12:41 p.m.

Yay IS 300; all the cool kids are driving them.

Factory stereo is pretty solid, get a tape deck adapter and run an MP3 player.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/8/11 12:45 p.m.
paanta wrote: "... went back to an AE86 because it uses less gas" This made my day. Only on this forum does someone go from IS300 to an almost 30 year old Corolla.

I would do it...IN A HEARTBEAT!. AE86 is probably my all time gotta have one, favorite, no doubt about it dream project car.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
3/8/11 3:17 p.m.

My brother had a Corolla GTS, I remember it being slow, with lots of body roll. I have no doubt they are a fun car, but compared to a 2JZ powered sports sedan? Maybe I'm getting too old to appreciate the older cars. I love my 944 for the track and the occasional Sunday cruise but on a long drive, I'll take my Lexus any day.

czracer
czracer New Reader
3/8/11 3:21 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: Yay IS 300; all the cool kids are driving them.

You sound pretty jaded. Sorry, I'm not a kid, or cool for that matter. Just a beat up veteran with a bad back, loving my new comfy ride.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
3/8/11 3:36 p.m.

In reply to czracer:

He couldn't be too jaded against the IS300 as he lists one in his profile.

Perhaps he actually is enthusiastic about it.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
3/9/11 12:07 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to czracer: He couldn't be too jaded against the IS300 as he lists one in his profile. Perhaps he actually is enthusiastic about it.

Or he just knows better

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XClvdqkebdnxTt0lTcP2SNsLxPjWYRrJ9B43c7qlUfqVqSHsFAK3S29itu1jH93C