secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/18 6:58 p.m.

So, the throwout bearing has been making noise for the last 8k miles.  I ordered the parts and planned to take care of it this weekend.  Looked at this thread on ft86club.com and it didn't look too bad.

ft86club.com clutch replacement how to...

I'm old and working alone in my driveway on jackstands so somewhat limited options.  I have the "fancy" HF hydraulic trans jack which is huge and probably contributing to my challenges as I can't get under the trans so I'm working from off to the side.

I have gotten to the point that the trans is separated from the engine by about 1/2 inch.  Cannot get it to move further.  It is just off the two tapered pins, but I still have about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of the bottom threaded studs sticking out of the back side of the trans mounting surface (so probably 1.25" or so to go to clear them).  Threaded stud is shown in bottom yellow circle on this pic I hotlinked...

So, any good ideas on how to get my trans out without dying?

Thanks in advance! :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/1/18 7:05 p.m.

Can the engine tilt at all?  Maybe loosen the motor mounts a little so the whole package can angle down towards the back?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/1/18 7:22 p.m.

I suspect that the engine is tipping forward and that you need to lift up on the front of it to tilt it back.  There should be enough flex in the mounts that you don't need to lossen them.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/1/18 7:25 p.m.

Subarus often have a little dust sheild on the bottom of the bell housing that stops it from clearing the flywheel.  Also those two rotten damn studs they insist on installing always make it harder than is required.

I have never looked under a FR-S.  I could be talking out my ass, too.

secretariata
9/1/18 7:46 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

That may be the issue. Have a jack under the oil pan as suggested in the thread I linked, but I can't see the back side of the trans while operating the jack in front of the car so I have been very cautious about going up on the engine.  Going to get SWMBO out there in the morn to be my "eyes".

secretariata
9/1/18 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Rear end is speaking tonight. ;). No dust shield in that location on the FR-S... Those studs are rotten...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/1/18 7:52 p.m.
APEowner said:

I suspect that the engine is tipping forward and that you need to lift up on the front of it to tilt it back.  There should be enough flex in the mounts that you don't need to lossen them.

I had this issue with my RWD Nissan 200SX.

The engine tilted when I pulled the tranny off and I couldn’t figure out why she wouldn’t go back on.   

My dad came over and he pushed the engine down with a 2x4  while I slid the tranny on.   

But what APE said should be the answer.  

secretariata
9/2/18 4:58 p.m.

Well for all of you waiting to see if I had success today, I did not. Instead I tried to impale my skull on a metal rod about 7:45 this morning resulting in a lot of blood, a 1.5" rip in the skin on my skull, and a minor concussion. Maybe tomorrow will go better...

pirate
pirate Reader
9/2/18 5:24 p.m.

Take it easy my friend concussions are nothing to fool around with. I’m sure your doctor has told you to take it easy for a number of days. Follow his advice. Trying to do much will only hinder the healing process. This comes from someone with two confirmed concussions at I think probably at least three more I never sought medical care.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/3/18 12:27 p.m.

If it was a Chevy, I'd say you should be good to go. They thrive on blood. The 9C1 was a damn vampire. 

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/18 12:37 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

+1 to that.  I get one by walking in to the bottom edge of a roll up garage door (and I think I'm even the one who didn't open it further).  I didn't start feeling strange until 2 days later.  Taking it easier those first two days would have definitely made it easier...

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/18 1:51 p.m.
secretariata said:

Well for all of you waiting to see if I had success today, I did not. Instead I tried to impale my skull on a metal rod about 7:45 this morning resulting in a lot of blood, a 1.5" rip in the skin on my skull, and a minor concussion. Maybe tomorrow will go better...

That sucks.  The god news is that after a day like that tomorrow probably will be better.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/3/18 2:56 p.m.

Take it to Lincoln Nebraska.  Apparently throwout bearings in frisbee twins are a wear item.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
9/3/18 9:03 p.m.

Depending on where the motor mounts are, the engine could be trying to tip up or down (as previously stated). You need to stabilize it so that when you remove (and install) the trans, the engine remains neutral.  

Im guessing that as soon as you cleared the pins the engine tipped and it is binding the input shaft on the clutch or possibly the pilot bearing/bushing (Which you should also replace) 

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/18 11:26 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Subaru engines tip forward.  The mounts are just barely in front of the bellhousing.  Exhibit A, the jack under the oil pan in the above pic.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kAbJrUdQvtU6k1spfQB4dpClom9TbLI7c00WaRirTw8kN4pHR2Ts8F4zglgvFmLv