Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/16 11:17 a.m.

Ok, did a bit of searching, but like whitesnake, I never seem to find what I'm looking for.

With an election coming up, I know there will be lots of coroplast signs finding their way to the trash soon. I hope to intercept a few.

What are the best ways to do this? I am uncomfortable taking down signs that are still up, regardless of where or when. I would not be too shy to grab a bunch out of a dumpster, as long as someone else put them in the dumpster. I think someone (flightservice?) had a post at one time about how to contact the local political groups and they would have tons they are just throwing away.

What are the best options? I'm looking to get 20-30 standard size yard signs to make sure I have enough material for my next few projects, and I'm not too shy to make some plans.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/16 11:27 a.m.

I get mine from Adrian Thompson's yard.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/26/16 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Nicely done, sir...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/16 11:29 a.m.
Woody wrote: I get mine from Adrian Thompson's yard.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/16 11:38 a.m.
Woody wrote: I get mine from Adrian Thompson's yard.

I regret that I have but one upvote to give you, sir.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/26/16 11:40 a.m.

java230
java230 Dork
10/26/16 11:49 a.m.

There is a local frat that goes out to see how many they can get day after election. They pile them in the front yard/bushes everywhere. Anything like that near you? I highly doubt they would mind a few being removed.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
10/26/16 11:52 a.m.

You should just call a local campaign office and tell them to drop them off at your place.

Campaigns here are required to send out volunteers to collect them or they get a huge fine.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/26/16 12:45 p.m.

All of the signs I've seen so far are not coroplast. I'm disappointed.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/26/16 12:51 p.m.

There's a HYOOGE cache—the hugest cache, really—you wouldn't believe how huge this cache is, about a half mile from my house. I plan to be there right as returns start coming in on the 8th. Many are coroplast, and some are 3mil PVC. One of several reasons i look forward to the end of election season '16.

[NOTE TO OTHER GRM STAFF MEMBERS: The preceding is pure fiction. Unless I have extra on the 9th.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
10/26/16 12:54 p.m.

I'm curious what projects you have planned with it. This is what I built with Coroplast a few years ago:

http://www.spadtothebone.net/

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/26/16 1:23 p.m.
mainlandboy wrote: I'm curious what projects you have planned with it. This is what I built with Coroplast a few years ago: http://www.spadtothebone.net/

x2. Learn me the wonder that is chloroplast. I need to fill my garage with more project materials for projects I'll never get to. I know SWMBO loves when I do that......

-Rob

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/26/16 1:46 p.m.

I have a pallet full of it here at work. I just have nothing to use it on.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/26/16 2:18 p.m.

How well do these work as rally armor butt flaps?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/26/16 2:21 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: How well do these work as rally armor butt flaps?

About as well as a chocolate tea pot I'd guess.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/26/16 2:34 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: There's a HYOOGE cache—the hugest cache, really—you wouldn't believe how huge this cache is, about a half mile from my house. I plan to be there right as returns start coming in on the 8th. Many are coroplast, and some are 3mil PVC. One of several reasons i look forward to the end of election season '16. [NOTE TO OTHER GRM STAFF MEMBERS: The preceding is pure fiction. Unless I have extra on the 9th.

Put me down for some 3mil PVC, please.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
10/26/16 2:42 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
mainlandboy wrote: I'm curious what projects you have planned with it. This is what I built with Coroplast a few years ago: http://www.spadtothebone.net/
x2. Learn me the wonder that is chloroplast. I need to fill my garage with more project materials for projects I'll never get to. I know SWMBO loves when I do that...... -Rob

Hypermilers use it for underbody panelling and other aero. Cosplayers use it for builds as well. I've read about people making boats, attache cases, cover their windows during storms and model planes with it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/16 3:00 p.m.

You can make a hat, or a broach, or a pterodactyl...

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/26/16 3:09 p.m.
Woody wrote: You can make a hat, or a broach, or a pterodactyl...

And Leon's getting LAAAARRRGERRRR!!!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/16 4:10 p.m.
Woody wrote: You can make a hat, or a broach, or a pterodactyl...

I picked a bad year to stop sniffing glue.

DanV8olvo
DanV8olvo New Reader
10/26/16 4:35 p.m.

I always grab a few after elections, free metal and signage is used for lots of projects

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/16 4:52 p.m.

They make pretty good target holders for the shooters as well.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
10/26/16 9:39 p.m.

I've seen coroplast used to build fairings for recumbent bicycles. Adds major dork points to an already mega-dork bike! (And I oughta know - I ride one!)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Te6H61mFlxh9xeCSA2BmSjBCy7saVFUOTrIRMt2Gskp6IKCOi1iNDutoH0JVXgff