Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/16 7:47 p.m.

This morning, my wife alerted me to "some kind of old car thing going on in town"...

These guys are known as the Friends of Ancient Road Transportation, and they were on a tour. They spent last night at a hotel here in town and were headed out on the road for the day. I got there right as the cars were rolling out of the trailers and going through the sometimes tricky process of getting started. There was some seriously nice machinery here. Some were restored to concours level perfection, while others were completely unrestored.

Please forgive the very hastily taken photos and the long shadows. Everything was getting ready to move.

One of the first cars that I saw was the Thomas Flyer.

photo IMG_7263_zps9qefkhtp.jpg

photo index_zpsy0yd5edc.jpg

photo TF2_zps5zcghpiq.jpg

My favorite was the 1911 Pope Hartford. My grandfather told me that he drove a Pope Hartford when he was a teenager, but I had never actually seen one. There were two here today.

photo 1911 Pope Hartford_zps7zewagrw.jpg

photo IMG_7297_zps1mq07qtd.jpg

Jim Grundy and his 1908 Lozier.

photo ff277228-c520-4839-abc3-f605eeef16c8_zpsmkxnas1d.jpg

photo Lozier3_zpslf3539pv.jpg

photo Lozier2_zpsjkt4wfg4.jpg

There were two unrestored Packard Gentleman's Roadsters.

photo IMG_7290_zpsiqjid3dv.jpg

photo IMG_7292_zpsfr9gvvuy.jpg

photo IMG_7293_zpseb8wmlzz.jpg

photo IMG_7291_zpsagzprwcz.jpg

I saw this guy packing a full size sledge hammer.

photo Packard1_zpsb0axq2k5.jpg

photo Packard2_zpsumtvzmzk.jpg

photo IMG_7295_zpsvdgtsvcp.jpg

This Rolls Royce was amazing. So much nickel...

photo IMG_7286_zpswer0751w.jpg

photo Rolls1_zpsmwwbpbjf.jpg

photo Rolls2_zps9prio8re.jpg

photo Rolls3_zpsk6xwnff4.jpg

Other stuff (Pierce Arrows, Locomobiles, etc...)

photo IMG_7283_zpsolrf4end.jpg

photo IMG_7282_zpswpb704km.jpg

photo IMG_7276_zpsmnkiw24a.jpg

photo IMG_7274_zpsawvfypeh.jpg

photo IMG_7273_zpskornwfdj.jpg

photo IMG_7271_zpstndqixa1.jpg

photo IMG_7270_zpsp5wdkm6n.jpg

photo IMG_7269_zpsdm23432x.jpg

photo IMG_7268_zps31glnehl.jpg

photo IMG_7267_zpsphdubj6z.jpg

photo FARTS_zpsrql99ajk.jpg

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
4/28/16 7:51 p.m.

Bootiful era

Thanks for sharing

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/28/16 7:59 p.m.

I'm wasting my life.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
4/28/16 8:06 p.m.

I'd love to have something from the brass era

chiodos
chiodos Dork
4/28/16 8:53 p.m.

Lol did they actually name their club farts? Then make plaques of it?!? Thats awesome.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/16 8:56 p.m.

I want plaque

Thanks for sharing those are great!!!

etifosi
etifosi Dork
4/28/16 9:06 p.m.

Required explanation:

I love to sense automobiles.

Ocular enjoyment is obvious, as is aural aura.

The "feel" of a car is what touches us, each to their own taste.

British cars have an interior smell that is unique, I think it smells smug.

I stuck my head through the open window of an unrestored Durant at LRP, years ago - it smelled like the Depression.

And this was all to help you understand why......

I'd LOVE to smell those FARTS!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/28/16 9:07 p.m.

After Google and Apple get their way, were all gonna need those farts plaques.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
4/28/16 9:13 p.m.

From the era when trunks were literal trunks.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/28/16 9:29 p.m.

Amazing. I'll never forget my trip to a brass era restoration shop.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
4/28/16 9:38 p.m.

Very, very cool- thanks for sharing Woody!

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
4/28/16 10:25 p.m.
etifosi wrote: Required explanation: I love to sense automobiles. Ocular enjoyment is obvious, as is aural aura. The "feel" of a car is what touches us, each to their own taste. British cars have an interior smell that is unique, I think it smells smug. I stuck my head through the open window of an unrestored Durant at LRP, years ago - it smelled like the Depression. And this was all to help you understand why...... I'd LOVE to smell those FARTS!

I'd be happy just to hear those FARTS

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/28/16 11:01 p.m.

Not sure where you're located but I think that first Pope-Hartford was at the LeMay museum concours last year.

Beautiful cars, thanks for sharing.

So glad to see them being driven, we build too many sitmobiles nowadays.

Shawn

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/29/16 5:53 a.m.
Mitchell wrote: From the era when trunks were literal trunks.

Also the era when cars had actual class...and actual polished metal, not the shiny plastic E36 M3 we get today.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
4/29/16 6:35 a.m.

Awesome Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/16 7:52 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: So glad to see them being driven, we build too many sitmobiles nowadays.

That's exactly why I think it's significant to see Jim Grundy out there driving his Lozier. When the guy who's company is insuring all these valuable classics takes his car out on the road, it sends a message to his clients that it's okay to get out and drive their own.

Assuming, of course, that it's properly insured...

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/29/16 8:57 a.m.

It is funny, I have lost my patience for cars of the 50's and sixties because they straddle the line between being a car and a curiosity.

The brass era cars have zero pretense of being transportation. As such, my patience for their foibles would be endless. Driving one of those across NA would be both a challenge and an adventure. Driving my MGB would just be uncomfortable for the sake of being uncomfortable.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/29/16 9:52 a.m.

So, those all look to be right hand drive and have the spare tires outboard of the driver's door. Are the right hand doors still operable or does one enter on the left and slide over to get behind the wheel? I suppose, back in the day, these were chauffeur driven so it didn't really matter if things we not easy for that guy to get in, plus the footman was available to take care of the trunk and passengers.

That would be a sight to see. Thanks for posting. Where is their tour taking them? If a bunch of FARTS are heading my way, I'd like to know.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/29/16 11:15 a.m.

Awesome! I love cars from this era. I'm actually much more interested in them than I am in stuff from the muscle car era of the '60s/'70s

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/29/16 11:16 a.m.

Our 1915 Pierce town car is right hand drive. It has a right side door but the spare tires are in the way. You get in on the left and slide over.

The steering wheel and controls are so close to the right side that I probably couldn't squeeze through anyway. A "lesser man" might make it though.

Shawn

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
4/29/16 11:19 a.m.

Well, that's just fantastic. Thanks for the pix. Took me back to when my old man ran in the "great american race" in the eighties, a xcountry TSD rally for old cars. A guy in Oceanside hired him to drive, finished 4th the first year in a '14 Dodge. Then the owner built a '36 Buick for the rally, I got to drive that bad boy and there was nothing to it.. wonderful car, and they won it that year (100k grand prize, my ol' man bought a nice stereo with his part of it and the owner donated the rest to a monastery). But that was also the year the event started in Disneyland, and I got to be in the parade through the park. Fun! Hmm.. Friends of ancient road transportation, I'm gonna have to look them feller up. Seems like they have the right attitude.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/30/16 11:52 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Yes, you would have had people for that:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TaHM2uK8tRTYF17d3ax3SBy6eLuo8ZHleONnWCArDpWqFhrA9tFlPvNchLTIXTJG